Date: September 17, 2010 12:06PM
I watched the video link about this show (Mormon couple took in two troubled British teens) and I wanted to comment (but the board was down - sob, sob).
So, my impressions.
1) Mom's comment that she homeschools so her children won't be "confused" by which "right" is correct was a gagger. Of course I, as a fanatical Christian, specifically chose public schools for my children because I felt it was unfair to raist them in a vacuum of public opinion.
2) I was deeply impressed by Mom's patience and consistency with the teens. It was something they needed and clearly had a positive impact on them.
3) There was a comment by the Mom, when the boy was having a bit of a meltdown before a fancy charity ball where she said "I want to be proud of you..." that I disagreed with. I thought she should have said, "I want to show my friends this young man I'm so proud of..." -- I kind of suspected that's what she meant, though, and it was a rather emotional moment so I give her a pass on that one. Besides, no-one is perfect all the time. :)
4) Expecting the kids to cold-turkey a smoking habit was ridiculous, but I rather suspect the kids smoked anyway.
5) All in all, though, I was impressed with the parenting skills of that couple.
So, did anyone else watch it?