Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 06:28PM

Flipping through DISH channels I came across the movie "Starship Troopers". It mentions a massacred mormon colony complete with an Angel Moroni. On googling it I found a bit of information.
"Port Joe Smith was a colony on the planet Dantana founded by a group of Mormon extremists. It was one of many unofficial colonies founded by religious groups outside of Federation space. Despite warnings from the Federation government, the Mormons colonized Dantana even though it was dangerously close to Arachnid space. One month later, the Arachnids raided the colony, killing all 173 civilians."

More (including photos) can be learned about this reference at http://www.ldsfilm.com/movies/StarshipTroopers.html

Hilarious!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 06:31PM

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 06:48PM

the coed shower scene.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 06:55PM

Yup. I remember that very well...not as well as the shower scene...Why can't the real military be that way?!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 07:52PM

There is some discussion in the article about Heinlein's association with Mormonism (none). Irrelevant. The mormon colony was not in the book, just the movie.

The book and the movie were substantially different, almost unrelated.

Posted by: Chonerhead ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 07:58PM

Yeah I watched the movie in the theater outside of Utah and the place exploded with laughter..... people are getting pretty fed up with Mormons and their nonsense. I guess its always been that way. TBM's wear it with a badge of honor, Kind of like the Emperor's clothes they will always ignore the obvious.

Posted by: anbody ( )
Date: December 26, 2010 08:12PM

Robert A. Heinlein wrote several stories with pseudo Mormon-like elements--take a look at "Sixth Column" (a.k.a. "Day After Tomorrow" based on "All" by John W. Campbell, Jr.) and "If This Goes On" where the entire USA is taken over by a prophet led Mormon style cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.