Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dodads ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:51PM

Just trying to get up to speed on the Facebook posts about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:54PM

It was some woman with a fake, frozen smile on her face. It wasn't Burton. It was the second counselor of Young Women.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 07:03PM by No Mo.

Date: October 08, 2012 07:00PM

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2012/10?lang=eng&vid=1882743205001&cid=6

It was disgusting.

:27 seconds in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 07:02PM by No Mo.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:37PM

You suckered me in thinking it would only be less than a minute. Grrr! LOL It's actually about 2:20 in.

That woman was scary. My mother used to have that same big fake smile in public. It was nothing but a facade. She was really an angry, mean woman.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 06:56PM

Only her version was, "I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it."

I replied, "If you're Mormon and you know it, clap your hands."

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 01:07AM

ROTFLMAO!

Do women all practice that smile before speaking at conference? It's creepy. It kinda says "They haven't regulated my meds yet."

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:06PM

I'm an exmormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.

Stray Mutt, I think most of the mormon hands are already dead on their handcarts for them to clap.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:08PM

I made it through about 20 seconds before I felt my dinner coming up.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:16PM

Gross! I don't know how anyone could sit through that talk. That was way over the top. How embarrassing for Sister Dibb. ;)

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:21PM

Probably not news but her middle initial M is for her maiden name Monson. It all makes sense now huh?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:28PM

As in Monson's daughter?

Date: October 08, 2012 07:45PM

That's right.

Date: October 08, 2012 07:49PM

Ewww... I can see the resemblance.

Date: October 08, 2012 07:32PM

Surprise. Ah, royalty. I actually knew that it was M but did not remember that it was for Monson. I try to avoid the Mormon cultural phenonema of including middle initials.

No P Mo

Holy shit! I just watched almost three minutes. I feel sick. Did they Botox her face before conference?

Posted by: kgigeque ( )

Why did I ever click on the link? I lost way too many brain cells watching that lady.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:35PM

There ya have it. That's the kind of thing that monson breeds. That's his goal for each and every member of the church.

She was so artificial she seemed automated. How does one go through life like that? I can't even begin to imagine. It would put me in the insane asylum.

If that were my daughter i'd be very depressed. She doesn't come across as human.

Date: October 08, 2012 07:47PM

Just like her father Thomas S. Monson.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:53PM

The forced smile and fake enthusiasm were a bit much. It wasn't so bad as a conference talk but imagine being a family member and having to deal with that every day.

Posted by: Anon, cause I work for THE CHURCH ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 07:53PM

she reminds me of the witch on Harry potter Deloras Umbridge http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3660224768/nm0001767

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:56PM

That's exactly who I thought of when I saw this. So disturbingly fake.

Posted by: Dodads ( )
Date: October 08, 2012 08:19PM

Thanks for the clip.

She does not seem fake to me, only nervous and careful, as if it was her first time speaking. I may not know or love Mormonism [anymore], but the critiques here are awfully harsh. She seemed nice enough to me.

Date: October 08, 2012 08:31PM

She is most definitely fake...

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 09:45AM

What is really harsh, are her EYES. She smiles a lot, in the wrong places sometimes, and far too much.

But her eyes never do.

I'd hate to meet her in a dark alley--or a church-run inquisition.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:26AM

Forced devotion to an abusive religion makes your face look that way.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:32AM

She's kinda puffy compared to her more flattering official pic here: http://www.followtheprophet.net/2010/02/19/a-daughters-view-of-president-monson/

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:28AM

Some non Priesthood holder so it doesn't count...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:44AM

Two things stood out to me when I finally got lured into watching part of this video because of everyones' comments. 1) Assuming someone is from out of state just because their shirt stated "I'm a Mormon - are you?" is so arrogant it's unreal. So everyone in Utah is Mormon, eh? A lot are but not all and a lot of those who are are inactive disbelievers. Assuming everyone in Utah is as Mormon as you, Ann, and that the t-shirt question is redundant is very, very shallow and self-centered. 2) I don't doubt Ann's motto. She's Mormon and no matter how much Mormon principles and lifestyles go against what Christ taught, she will live them and love it. She sounds like she works for WalMart and is shouting "I'm a Walmart checker - I live it, I love it." It's her sorority, her social club, her source of pride.

It's not a private spiritual relationship with Christ or Buddah. It's not a way to become a better person. It's not a way to help others. It's a way to brag that she belongs to a group that makes her better (in her mind) than others. Good luck with that, Ann.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 08:09PM

I don't kknow - kind of makes me want to have a t-shirt printed, "I was a Mormon and I am one of the lucky ones to have escaped the cult". Hmmm, not a big enough chest for all that - maybe, Mormonism is a f------ cult!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 08:36PM

Could someone please get me a barf-bag?

Date: October 09, 2012 08:47PM

I think she's been botoxed between the eyes. From her nose up her face is frozen in place. Add that to overly dramatic mouth and it comes across as very weird.

I also wonder if she's on speed. She comes across like she is. I swear she never takes a breath while she's talking non stop about herself. Her and her father must have the same writer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 08:55PM by Mia.

Date: October 09, 2012 08:49PM

Ha! Botox! That's what I said! :)

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 08:56PM

Seriously, I really need that bag.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 09:02PM

Of course she loves it. She has enjoyed the limelight of Mormon celebrity since birth.

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:01PM

WRT the conference clip...sometimes it's fun to hit the pause button and freeze the face in an unflattering sneer or goofy expression. If you freeze Ann's face just right, it looks like Roseanne is addressing the conference.

Date: October 09, 2012 10:11PM

I had to turn the sound off. Her voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Posted by: Dee Lightsum ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 01:46AM

How do they watch this and feel inspired? It is so fake, so insincere. It really feels like they're not even human. I'm not trying to be an elitist. I just truly can't understand how people can enjoy this and think this is wonderful. It's all so creepy.

Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 08:57AM

for members of the church? It must be since the "I'm a Mormon" videos, because before that it was "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". The leaders asked us not to use the term "Mormon". Now it is okay again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.