Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 07:34AM

A few years ago I stumbled across a very well done website. (I can’t for the life of me find that same site today.) Anyway, it compared the photo of Joseph Smith that is in the Library of Congress to contemporary paintings, family descriptions etc. It also compared it to photos taken of his skull when his remains were exhumed. Most LDS paintings are based on the death mask on not the images of him when he was alive. His upper jaw was broken in the fall at Carthage so the death mask shows what he looks like with a broken jaw and a partially caved in face and not what he looked like while he was alive.

I guess I just found it very sad that not only has Josephs’ character been drastically revised since he died, but the literal image that the church presents of him is not even correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 07:34AM by peregrine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:23PM

The so-called "photograph of Joseph" is 99.99% bogus.

In typical TBM fashion they claim it's a photograph of Joseph only because it can't be PROVEN that it's not a photograph of Joseph.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:31PM

I'm not refering to the debunked photo that surfaced a few years ago. Im talking about the degariotype in the LoC that they got from the RLDS church and is pretty much accepted as genuine.

This one:
http://comevisit.com/lds/JS.JPG

Not this one:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FOIrYyQawGI/TVMXQF6Yu9I/AAAAAAAADPo/rABipQoi_wI/s1600/JosephSmith.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 01:31PM by peregrine.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:01PM

It's claimed to be a retouched photograph of an earliet image on metal that has been lost.

Experts disagree whether it was taken from a portait done of JS or the other way round...

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:12PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FOIrYyQawGI/TVMXQF6Yu9I/AAAAAAAADPo/rABipQoi_wI/s1600/JosephSmith.jpg

I strongly think this one is authentic as well. I read a bunch of articles on this and spent hours looking at it. It is a photo of a younger JS. In my opinion..........

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:08PM

That JS may have sat for a daguerreotype, but this one isn't it (referring to the one you linked). The clothing is from at least ten years after Smith's death.

I can pick his brain--again--for the specifics next week, since the original is on an old drive, but I find that pretty conclusive, and the "hype" pretty much disappeared, and "real" historians prefer to discuss and investigate more likely events.

Posted by: Whip it Good ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:28PM

Is it just me or does he look kinda creepy in the photo (the first one)?

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:36PM

Yes, he does.

His little brain gears are working to create the product he will sell to anyone who will accept and he'll become powerful and wealthy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.