Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elysiannevermo ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 11:23AM

+1

I agree so much with this.

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 11:44AM

+2. I stopped paying tithing this year bc my wife wasn't working and when i deposited my paychecks my account still had a negative balance. My wife talked to the bishop about it and he said to pay it anyway and not to look at it so logically. Right...

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:55PM

Logic and mormons don't mix.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 11:54AM

It seems like as much of a sin as making any other poor financial investment. Most people see it as an investment that they will get a return on later. The real sin here is the church lying about the financial prospects of lower class tithe payers.

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:05PM

+1

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:07PM

Mormons aren't the only ones who do this. Just the other day my baptist mother was assuring me that if only I would tithe then I would get that money back and then some. Some nonsense about "God's promise is real!" Well we are clawing our way out of $24,000 a year poverty right now and when I'm struggling over whether I can afford a pound of beef there is no way in hell I will give any of my money to a religion. And then if you say that you don't have money for groceries they tell you to go to the church food bank (or for Mormons I guess that would be the Bishop storehouse) so you can get an extra dose of public humiliation and some low quality food. That you essentially paid for with your tithe.. It makes no damned sense.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:12PM

southern should login Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons aren't the only ones who do this. Just the
> other day my baptist mother was assuring me that
> if only I would tithe then I would get that money
> back and then some. Some nonsense about "God's
> promise is real!" Well we are clawing our way out
> of $24,000 a year poverty right now and when I'm
> struggling over whether I can afford a pound of
> beef there is no way in hell I will give any of my
> money to a religion. And then if you say that you
> don't have money for groceries they tell you to go
> to the church food bank (or for Mormons I guess
> that would be the Bishop storehouse) so you can
> get an extra dose of public humiliation and some
> low quality food. That you essentially paid for
> with your tithe.. It makes no damned sense.

yep. if you've ever watched the 700 club there is a segment nearly every day about how someone was going to go bankrupt or lose their house until they gave money to the 700 club and god bailed them out. It is such a horrible shameful pitch for cash.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:33PM

The cash flow goes like this:
You pay your tithing to the local church. The local church sends the money to Salt Lake Central. SLC takes that money and buys farmland. They use volunteer labor to manage and work the farmland where-ever they can, and grow food. Then they tell the local church leaders to push the food storage program. The members then buy food from local church-owned distribution centers at an outrageous markup, for much more than can be had from Costco. This is food that was grown on farmland that the members already paid for with their tithing money. Whatever food is given to those in need from the distribution centers is paid for out of local church funds. The local church funds came from Salt Lake Central, which ultimately came from the members. Do you see how that works? The members essentially buy the farm, and then they buy the food that comes from the farm. Meanwhile, thu church collects all the money. What a business model!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.