Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiite-mormon ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:41PM

Personally, I think that most of the primary songs are purely meant for brainwashing.
Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:48PM

Follow the Profit

Posted by: happyhoppy ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:49PM

I agree with you but I really couldn't stand when upon life's billows or sisters in Zion think that is so patronising!

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:07PM

"When Upon Life's Billows" is kinda fun at a gallop pace, but at funeral tempo? <shudder>

If I remember right, in a Protestant church it has kinda a dramatic ritard near the end, then a superspeedy race to the finish. It would have to be an old-fashioned Protestant church to even have it in the book.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:50PM

Don't get me wrong, I love that song, even more now that I'm out of the church. But I can't for the life of me figure out what it means to Mormons, or why they love to sing it. "I will divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see..." Well, you know, if they are Mormon and full tithe payers and will feel very guilty about it and will do busy work for TSCC to make up for it and you don't ask me to actually care about anyone else who is poor and hugry and homeless because Brother Mitt says they have a safety net.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:48PM

This was a favorite song of a good friend when I was TBM. Funny thing was that she was a democrat. I asked her once how she could be a democrat and a mormon and her reply was asking me how I could be a republican and a mormon.

Posted by: Takamumi ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 03:02PM

The tune and pacing of this song is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It makes me squirm viscerally. I have actually the room to avoid hearing yet another grating verse of this monstrosity.

Horrific "song"

Posted by: anatbrat ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:53PM

I love how they sing "Oh, how lovely was the morning", "We thank thee o god for a prophet," etc., but claim they don't "worship" at the altar of Joseph Smith.

MMMMMK.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:56PM

"Praise to the Man"

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:05PM

I used to think that, but now I'm going to learn the original words to the tune. Thanks, Mia!!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 06:04PM

This is a great version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96v_SFEz6E&feature=related

Or this, from Airbourne. You'll never hear it as a church hymn again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL8NC_cyVK0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 06:11PM by Mia.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:00AM

Wow! Those gave me chills!!

Posted by: elohim ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 12:57PM

Called to serve (Overkill)

Follow the Prophet (Cult-like, hated it as a TBM also)

All of the Sacrament songs (Death March)

I hope they call me on a mission (Brainwash)

Posted by: Anonymous46 ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:02PM

It always killed me around Chirstmas time when I would look forward to singing Chistmas songs, but then the ward(s) would only sing 1 or 2 songs one day in December. This went on for years. I remember a time when December Sundays was filled with Chistmas music. Oh and the song 'I have been given much' was sung like every Sunday in the singles ward. Hated it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 03:16PM

I typed in the words "Sisters in Zion" and "Parody" into the youtube search engine and all I got was the official song. I guess it's official, the church is actually a Parody on a real religion.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 03:18PM

Just remember, if it has a catchy tune, then the church stole it from someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEm-z6GGx8

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:21PM

wow...you're right.
I am(was) an avid organist who delighted in the melodies. Guess they were plagiarized too. hmph.

Now I have a theory that they further indoctrinate falsehoods with good music. Even more damning confusion to your "testimony"

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 03:56PM

When I was a Youth Camp Leader, we had to come up with catchy songs to help the younger girls remember the camp rules. I couldn't stand "Count your blessings," so I made that the song for the rule about properly disposing feminine products. The adult leaders didn't know this until I sang it for everyone at flag ceremony, "Wrap your tampons, put them in the trash" (to the Count Your Blessings" tune). To this day, I can't hear that song without my version popping in my head!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:27PM

Give everything you've got as you run downhill exhausting youself, until you are absorbed into the collective of a river. The result is an identity lost in mindless currents.

It's insidious, my thoughtcrime. Bless my parents for throwing me out. They are devoted party members. I never even knew I was a thoughtcriminal, Winston.

Posted by: Nimrod Von Korihor ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:40PM

Another cult-y creeper is "I Love My Birthdays Every One" or whatever the real name is.
The weirdest one I remember is "It's Always Fun When Grandpa Comes" real Sandusky vibe there.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:53AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:26AM

Slowest, most boring song allowed by law.

Back in the olden days before the green hymnbook, I used to like the "Yoo-Hoo Unto Jesus" song ("How Firm a Foundation"). "What more can he say than to you he hath said? Yoo-Hoo unto Jesus for refuge have fled." What more can he say, indeed? My sister and I used to really belt out the Yoo-Hoo part.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.