Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:20PM

If God exists, he/she/it must be the most miserable entity in the universe.

When you stop and consider just one typical day across the earth, sure there are some wonderful things happening, but the reality is that there's also just so much evil, abuse, pain, misery and suffering of every kind, much of which is barely imaginable to those of us who hear about these things from a distance, let alone the sheer horror that an 'all seeing eye' must witness.

So an entity deemed to intimately know and have a profound interest in all of its creation (and who cries according to the Book of Moses), must of necessity look down upon this earth with immense and continual sadness and pain (let alone all of the other 'earths' that we're told exist). How can this be anything other than heartbreaking? How can this be an eternal reward?

If TBMs believe that they can one day attain to Godhood, have they ever really considered the consequences of populating a planet with billions of spirit children and then watching many actively seek to destroy others? This is just so, so much more than watching one's siblings quarrel and argue in this life. It seems naive in the extreme for TBMs to excuse this with 'it must be different for God' or 'we can only see things through our mortal eyes', 'God's ways are not our ways' etc.

Would seeing the supposed salvation of a minuscule proportion of your spirit children compensate for everything else? Would it really be fun to observe everything? It sounds more like eternal torment to me.

Sorry to sound so negative, but it was just a thought I had today, that I simply can't see how the supposed benevolence of God stacks up against the reality of this mortal condition and the idea that Godhood is something wonderful and something to aspire to. In fact the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that such a being cannot exist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 02:35PM

+ 1 infinity

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:11PM

You forgot insane. If a person has rapid mood swings we call them bipolar. Now imagine someone who is both infinitely happy and sad for all the good/bad things going on at once. Talk about have some psych issues.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:18PM

Your post makes a lot of sense---if God actually cared. Very interesting.

Back toward the end of any residual belief I had left in God, I thought he had to be so bored after having lived an infinite eternity with no beginning and no end that there was no choice but to finally arrive at divine apathy and infinite jadedness.

Whether he cares or not, your post points out, there really is no good reason to care about him, except out of fear.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 04:54PM

The mishies told my brother this when they approached him in his own yard. He had a cigarette and a cup of coffee. He had not been to church in years, and they were sent to reactivate him.

Approached in this way, my bro almost spit out his coffee. He has always been quick on his feet. His reply was simply, "Wow, God must be a weakling if he is sad that I am enjoying a cigarette and a cup of coffee."

They didn't really know what to say. Their scare tactics and guilt trip might have worked with others, but not with a man who thought for himself.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:41PM

"You're making baby Jesus cry!"

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 05:21PM

Mormons see God as sitting at his workstation on the planet circling Kolob and loving his children here on earth. Well loving SOME of his children. They see him as not giving a damn about around 90% of them, totally hating 5% and who knows about the rest. To the Mormons God is like their church--self-absorbed and narrow minded.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.