Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notsurewhattothink logged out ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:17AM

I remember as a TBM that my ward was FILLED with SUVs and minivans, and maybe only 5 or 6 families actually used all the space in them. I always looked down on them for being "wasteful" and thought of them as earth destroyers and unnecessary, especially when they'd constantly run me off the road while on their cell phones. :(

However since my Honda died I hit up a dealership afterwork for fun and happened to drive a certain SUV which I completely fell in love with. It's a little big and has a V8, and there are a million reasons why I want it, but I wonder if people would look down on me if I decided to go for it. I figure that I'm in Utah and that the SUV will blend in nicely, but still, I don't want to be at the receiving end of the hate I had for SUVs just recently...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:35AM

I'm over six feet three inches tall and I can't fit in small cars so I've always driven trucks. Being from the desert this means a 4x4 truck like a Chevy Blazer or Ford Bronco that's used to pull trailers as well as carry pets and the groceries. I'm probably one of the few women on Earth who can drive a manual 4x4 in high heels and and evening dress ;-)

If you mean people who have a Chevy Suburban or Humvee and never use the vehicle for what it was originally intended for, well it's their money if they want to spend it...

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:08AM

I'm 6'7"

I find the most headroom on a motorcyle or a bicycle.

If not that, I find the the subway or the bus work well.

Otherwise Scion xB and Cubes have alot of headroom.

In my 'hood, SUV's are for drug dealers and those who want to act like them.

Love your mother.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 11:26AM by lulu.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 12:59PM

I was surprised with the leg room in the Scion.

And just get a big ass Harley . . . lol. Nothing's funnier than seeing a big guy on a little motorcycle.

39? Thems some long legs, a inch longer than mine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 01:02PM by lulu.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:04PM

I dated a 6'7'' guy from Germany and my arms and legs were longer than his even though I was shorter than he was. I have to get 40'' inseam dress pants to wear with heels and I have to custom order from TallAndAll.com in the UK

http://tallandall.com/

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:53AM

Me me me!!!!!! I drive stick, in heels, never an evening gown, but plenty of other dresses skirts and what not. Plus I have babies, so I can shift in heels while passing a binky to the baby!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:58AM

I used to drive my truck in heels all the time..

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:02PM

I AM very impressed...

I have a pickup (extended cab) with a manual. It is the best way to get people to stop asking to borrow my pick-up..

Date: October 13, 2012 01:41PM

Around here, there are so many 4 door, 3/4 or one ton diesel pick ups you can't throw a rock without hitting one. I, also, know a couple of people who drive Hummer H1's, (the civilian version of the military HUMVEE.)

The thing is, here, most people use them. Logging is huge around here. All summer you are carting a variety of stuff, (where I live, there is no garbage pickup, you have to haul your garbage to the transfer station, pretty impossible in any kind of car, etc.). In the fall they are mostly hauling dead game animals. (A piickup with elk blood running out of the tailgate is soooo attractive.) Driving to town, 70 miles away, can be REAL expensive on gas and they cost way to much to maintain and insure.

I have a 'poor little' 4 cylinder Toyota 4X4 Tacoma pickup. It will barely fit me and my canines. But, I use it a lot - hauling firewood and my ATV.

I get 20MPH and so does the 3/4 Dodge diesel (4 door, of course) pickup my sib drives. (It rides like a buckboard) We usually go to play in the Paiute mountains in Millard County, UT once a yeah with ATVs, (Interestingly my ATV gets just about the same mileage as my pickup). This summer we took the diesel - $100 to fill it up, three stops each up and back. Another to drive around town during the time we were there.

My next vehicle will be a Porsche Cayenne, since I can't afford the 911GT4, I really want ($120,000 for the 911, $55,000 for the Cayenne

On the other side of the continental divide, in Bozeman (a college town), the most common car seems to be the Subaru Outback station wagon. It is pretty well suited for the snow and ice. (If you see a '6' county license plate, you can just about bet it is on a Subaru.)

What I hate is, when someone parks a Suburban or Tahoe next to you in a parking lot, you can't see who might be coming, until you are stuck really far out.

If I can't get a Porsche, my next car with be either a Subaru Outback, but more likely a Volkswagen GTi, which I could only drive in the spring, summer into the fall...

The Subaru is a good compromise from a mileage and ability to hold kids and cargo. Much cheaper than a Tahoe or Suburban and way cheaper when you fill up. I used to own a Subaru. The handling is fantastic and the "All Wheel Drive," which is much better than plain 4x4, is a big +.

That said, if I couldn't afford an new pickup or a Porsche Cayenne. I would pick a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel 4 door pick-up. If you don't need to haul stuff, then I would buy a Subaru - they are amazing cars for driving in the snow. And have plenty of room for kids and dogs.

My advice, if you don't have a need to tow anything, I'd go with a Subaru Outback Station Wagon. Chevrolet used to make a hybrid Tahoe, which got 20MPGā€“this is a huge improvement in MPG over a standard Tahoe. Unless, you've got a big requirement to haul big things, I would go with the Subaru...

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:45AM

As a "no car owning" motorcyclist and committed Ducatista, SUV's normally look down on me! That's assuming they see me and don't try to drive over me!

I have the last laugh at the servo, though ..... $20 and I'm good for the next 450km or so. Meanwhile, back at the servo, those pumps are still working hard putting $$$$$$$$$$$ into those SUV's.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:04AM

... this is my first Ducati and I must say I'm a believer !!! Praise be to the ducati gods.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:39AM

I played around with a Ducati that needed work, and all I can say is CURSE THE GODS THAT MADE THE DESMODRONIC VALVES! They are so difficult to maintain...

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:16AM

We have a Suburban and I just want to let you know that it is $120 to fill it up. We can just kick ourselves. Don't do it. We did it for the snow, hauling kids, and pets and luggage because we make very long road trips when we go see family. The thing is a beast! I just want to scream when we have to fill up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 08:17AM by puff the magic dragon.

Date: October 13, 2012 01:44PM

Around here, we call "Suburbans" "Subdivisions," Hugely inefficient and pretty useless.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:20AM

Your former ward-members are driving big SUV's to keep up with the Joneses. You just really want this one because you like it.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:26AM

Why make your decisions based on what other people hate?

When you hated those SUV drivers, it had no effect on their enjoyment of the space and comfort provided by a big car.

You have your reasons, they have theirs.

Ana

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:14AM

First, why do you care what someone else thinks about your car?

Second, we own a big Suburban. We tow a large travel trailer, so we need it. We use it to tow lots of things, haul stuff, pick up deliveries of furniture and appliances, and to chauffeur our kids around. We didn't fill every space in it, and that was one reason we got it so big. Kids don't need to be packed elbow to elbow.

Now that we have less kids at home, I drive a smaller, super cute MINI. I personally hated driving around in the huge beast with just me in it, sucking up gas. That being said, we have the luxury of being able to own an extra vehicle that we don't drive much.

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:41AM

Hey Weeder....

Wot Ducati do you ride?

Mine is a Monster (for every day use) with Termi pipes - orgasmic!!!

Also have a Panigale for just going insane round the track - it's mental!!!!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:59AM

I think that some people need big SUVs, but that not as many people need them as drive them.

My friends and I rented one in Utah once. The SUV transported eight people in comfort and got us through a heavy-duty snowstorm quite comfortably. I was glad to have it.

I despise them on the road, however. The drivers often have bullying behavior (might makes right?) and they block the view ahead of me, which I consider to be a safety issue.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:17AM

They're certainly frustrating. I'm the only person who is ever in my car, so I just have a small little meep-meep to get me around.

When there's trouble up ahead, I can never see what's going on because I can't see through all those huge monsters.

I always wonder to myself, "Who on earth really needs a big frickin' thing like that?"

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:42PM

Who indeed. Most of the people driving them do not need that much car.

There was a big increase in the purchase of gargantuan vehicles after 9/11. I don't know if you are old enough to have been aware of that. People were rattled; they wanted to feel safe. That's why a lot of them bought these bloated, hulking, quasi-military cars and trucks. I noticed that at the time.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:22AM

I've spent an extensive amount of time there in the past 18 months. I think there are more SUVs there than Utah--mid-size SUVs--like the Toyota RAV4 (is it) and the Honda mid size. My boyfriend's son drives a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. He is single and has a dog.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 10:52AM

Here's what I think: if you are just going to drive around in a big empty one all by yourself, you really need to consider discussing your inferiority complex with your shrink.

Posted by: insj ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 11:08AM

I think what you drive should depend on depend entirely on your lifestyle and resources but the idea of being responsible towards others (conserving resources, etc) should also play a part. I live for hunting, camping and off-roading in Moab, so I own both a 4x4 heavy duty truck and a Jeep. The upshot is that I work from home and my wife works within walking distance so the amount of gas I have to buy is entirely under my own control. If I didn't have this luxury I probably would have to consider trading the Jeep in on a Honda and having only one ridiculously impractical vehicle instead of two.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 11:12AM

Did you leave the church because you feared how people will think of you? Enjoy life, but if part of enjoying life means not being wasteful and you feel buying this car would be wasteful then don't get it. Otherwise get it and enjoy life. :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 11:14AM by Mormoney.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 11:38AM

It never occurs to me what other's think. Just that I like it and it serves my needs. And if we can afford for me to drive it.

When I had kids to haul around I drove SUV's...only 2 kids.

Now a luxury sedan that isn't the best on gas. I do miss my SUV for the ability to bring home large purchases. And that I can see above the cars.

Get what makes you happy. People always have opinions. If you let it change how you see hourself or how you live your life, happiness and peace of mind will remain elusive.

Date: October 13, 2012 11:42AM

beansandbrews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And that I can see above the cars.

Sometimes I somewhat jokingly think that people should sell "car hats" for drivers of sedans. Then we could block the view ahead of SUV drivers.

If I leave enough following distance for safety behind a large SUV (because I have no idea what's going on ahead of that driver,) then other drivers take that as an invitation to scoot in ahead of me. Arrgh.

Mostly I try to opt for safety. There are simply too many rear-end collisions on one of the highways I traverse on a daily basis. Sometimes I'll see two or three on one trip alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 11:44AM by summer.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 11:56AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I leave enough following distance for safety
> behind a large SUV (because I have no idea what's
> going on ahead of that driver,) then other drivers
> take that as an invitation to scoot in ahead of
> me. Arrgh.

Oh, yes! That happens to me all the time.

I drive a Mini so practically everything blocks my view, except really jacked up 4x4s. If I scoot down in my seat just a bit I can see right under them. :D

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 11:55AM

Not as much as the assholes who drive hummers.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 12:12PM

Not gonna lie - I kinda do. I drive a subaru station wagon. Part of my SUV thing though is just that I think a lot of people/women want to have that "look" and it's annoying and inauthentic.

Posted by: CSU Provo Student ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 12:36PM

Actually, the opposite is true---SUV drivers look down at us, literally.

Ha.

A funny, yes.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:37PM

From my jetta I'm always looking up to others.

To answer op, vehicle choice is like religion. Choose what fits your lifestyle. I believe we should choose wisely with the environment in mind,but I did drive some horrible oil burners when that was all I could afford.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 12:48PM

I'm 6'4"...and wider than most so for us it's a mid-size SUV (GMC Envoy Denali) and a full sized pickup truck.

Ron Burr

Date: October 13, 2012 12:50PM

For my 6'4" brother it's a Mercedes sedan. ;-) He's definitely limited in his car choices. He always goes car shopping with me when I'm in the market, and I've seen him get in the driver's seat many times. He often has to duck because there's a lack of head room for him.

I also think he's relatively okay in my SIL's Volvo wagon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 12:51PM by summer.

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:54PM

No. I look up at them.

I live in the second most conservative county in the country (the ass end of the morridor). Bigass vehicles everywhere. People who think they're patriots when they're bitches of the people who they hate for wanting to destroy Israel.

Americans are five percent of the population and consume a quarter of the earth's resources.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:55PM

Driving half the length of cali recently tiny cars literally fill lanes of urban areas a farm pick uP stands out among urban service vehicles but returning home found the truck literally encircled by trucks along main street say seven miles from Ag Tac and the world Ag Expo grounds.
I got a dodge diesel extended cab on clesrance for 24,000 knowing i could never afford a cadillac suv
Plus it moves furnitures loves yard ssles does fine in snow (with sand bags to weight it down) loads well with work stuff, loves mountain roads and plugs in my ipod
Sadly only 20.6 miles per gallon without using the hydrogen system the husband added to my truck if im willing to fight the computer the water4 gas hydrogen brings it up ... Its just annoying to reset the engine computer.... That brings it upwards of 26 mpg in a three ton diesel truck secretly my stealth toyota

But my truck fits in on mainstreet and the school parking lot its got a great drivers seat tilt wheel I love it & will hate to park it someday to ride a scooter 10 miles through the fog
I obviously do better with an almost air ride seat seriously not tugging adhesions from multiple healed surgeries which is fatiguing. I love my dodge cummins 5.9 liter

You need to know you and your life to make this decision.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.