Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:14PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,695858,695858#msg-695858
http://www.mormonprobe.com/index.php?topic=Audio

In my opinion this is the most damning thing I've ever listened to in the exmormon world.

If TBM Mormons were to listen to this entirely, it wouldn't matter if they like to shake their faith or stir their faith.

It is only a matter of time if any TBM listens to this because how so many are able to identify with Mr. Phillips. It doesn't matter if you are BIC or not. They shell game of Mormonism is exposed for what its most valuable asset is - and here is a clue it isn't realestate, temples or a mall.

It is people. Strip Mormonism down to the kernal of value and it has nothing to do with American Indians and their Old World tribe. It has nothing to do with rituals, oaths, money etc.

I wonder how many TBMs can be honest enough with themselves to take stock in what they value most in their cult?

Chances are not many.

The truly scary TBMs I've ever encountered are the ones who Believe despite the people, despite the abuses of authority, despite common sense.

I think of them as Believing in spite.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miamaidpres ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 01:36PM

I think I've listened to this podcast three times now. I am so inspired by it, it gives me life. There is no way a true believing mormon could walk away from this interview without feeling like their mindset has been turned upside down.

The stuff about Isaiah---I didn't even consider---until I've listened to this.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:18PM

This is good. Thanks.

Date: November 07, 2012 03:09PM

John Dehlin calling apostles "a beautiful, thoughtful" men.

Not the way I would describe them. They may be nice to their peerage(The peers of a kingdom considered as a group) but I've heard they are not so nice to "the people" they consider way under their equals. I don't have any first hand info but Steve Benson's experience says a lot.

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:32PM

...from Salt Lake City. They are exmos and we had such a wonderful time together. We dined at a palace that is hundreds of years old and drank fine Italian wine.

I was brought to tears when they told me the podcast had effected tens of thousands of people. John Dehlin had made the contact to me for the interview and I could not understand why anyone would be interested in my story. I couldn't believe it when he said he wanted to talk for 4 or 5 hours. I thought 1 hour would be too much. Who would want to listen for so long?

Thank you to all those who have expressed such kind thoughts to me. Monday night I received a phone call from an exmo in Canada that lasted nearly 2 hours. We will talk again. She is so intelligent and has also suffered a bad reaction from her family.

I feel I have gained a 'family' and dear friends. If I can be of any help to anyone, please let me know.

Tom Phillips

Date: November 07, 2012 02:55PM

anointed one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John Dehlin had made the contact to me for the
> interview and I could not understand why anyone
> would be interested in my story. I couldn't
> believe it when he said he wanted to talk for 4 or
> 5 hours. I thought 1 hour would be too much. Who
> would want to listen for so long?

Well, I'm surprised. I think you are a man who can appreciate humility. The depths Dehlin plumbed explains why he needed 4 to 5 hours.

But Dehlin must have realized that he was opening up the rarified workings of the Mormon hierarchy to us, the ones carrying axes and grinding them.

I think that John Dehlin's testimony really got shaken interacting with you. It sounds like he is using questions to guide you to things to prove yourself as someone worthy for these "blessings" and not carrying an axe. You obviously passed his test. Thank you for doing that interview.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 10:57PM

Tom's interview is incredible!

Date: November 07, 2012 05:08PM

I'm listening for a second time.

I got to the part about your wife.

I confess I stayed with my wife, pictures of The First Vision and intrusion by wacky Mormons into my life all the time.

I take consolation that I never baptised any of my children and I am a voice of criticism for things.

Example, my eldest told me she doesn't believe in evolution. I asked her to give me reasons why. She thinks God made things the way they are.

She disagrees with me. At least we can talk about it but we can't talk about The Church.

Just like your kids we can't talk about it. They get visiably upset and stop the conversation.

Date: November 07, 2012 05:22PM

My sincere best wishes for you and your family for the future.

Tom

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 05:50PM

annointed one,

Thank you so much for doing that interview! My shelf was obliterated back in early 2012. I heard about the interview and gave it a listen. It was so incredibly powerful that I was just blown away. It was both heart wrenching and validating all at the same time with how I had been feeling.

I wanted everyone to be able to get it and hear it. But, it seemed that every time someone posted a link to it they would quickly disappear or quit working. So, I took the liberty of uploading it on a server (I hope you don't mind, but just let me know if you do) in a permanent place along with .pdf copies of the two emails that were exchanged and a copy of the explanation of the Second Annointing that was on mormonthink.com. I tell people to read those first as background and then listen to the interview.

When I hear of someone looking for it, I post or send them the link.

(here's the link to it...)

http://www.roadkilldelight.com/NOM/TP.htm

Anyway, since I uploaded it on August 29th, it has been viewed by 140 unique visitors and downloaded about 52 times. I just thought you might like to know.

Thanks again,

-biteme

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 05:52PM by biteme.

Date: November 07, 2012 05:58PM

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 02:37PM

Sithlord has listened to it over and over in the car. I listened to it all the way through in one sitting. It's incredible. Your courage gives us all courage and hope that maybe one day things will change. It gives me strength when facing the intense sadness of our friends, who think we have thrown away our eternal salvation. Their grief is real, but we know we are right. Our bishop never heard of the 2nd anointing. It's thanks to you that we are more enlightened.

Thank you!

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 06:43PM

I have listened to the whole 4 hours twice. Thank you Tom, you are an inspiration. I am sorry what you have gone through with your family and I hope that your story helps me to not go through the same thing.

If I can just get her to listen to it...

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: November 08, 2012 12:50AM

Tom you are an inspiration for us all by showing true integrity. I have complained about church policy for as long (many years and actually got some policies changed) as I can remember but only recently (last 2 years) realized why I have not been happy with church policies and the Brethern ------ because they are liars, not true prophets, and politically. etc. motivated. I have made a slow exit from the church because of family considerations. I cannot accept any more callings, represent the church or pay tithing to support corrupt church leaders and some programs. Eventhough, I am negative about the leadership, I recognize there is some good in the LDS church and other/all religions/churches ---- people through study, pondering and prayer can come up or plagerize inspired thoughts that are worthwhile even people like Joseph Smith and current church leaders. So, I am advocating we should all seek truth (based on our logic and internal spirit to recognize truth) and focus our lives on living the best/happiest/satisfied lives we can by obtaining truth and implementing that truth in our lives. It seems like it is too easy to "waste" our time by excessively getting mad at the liars in church leadership even though justified and waste too much time that could be spent in seeking "truth". I consider spending some time on this web site and others is important in opening our minds to additional truth. Thanks to Tom's story, John's podcasts, and this website for providing avenues to learn truth!

Posted by: Haika53 ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 08:11PM

Hello Mr. Phillips,

I have been carrying your 4+ hour interview on my ipod for a few months now and finally made the time to listen to it. I am blown away, there's just no other way to say it. I know it's been said by others here but I must repeat: your heart break and anguish came through so clearly. I just cannot imagine how one bears such a seismic reality shift. It is your family's tremendous loss not to have you actively included. I admire your courage for speaking. I have a recently created a list of truly brave people. It is a short list. You are now on it.

Sincerely,
Haika
(never been Mormon but mother of a convert)

Date: November 18, 2012 08:17PM

Thank you all for such kind words.

Tom

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 08:28PM

Thank you for your courage, and your strong values. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Thank you for the incredible sacrifices you have made to protect your honor and to help others along the path.

IMO people like you are the REAL pioneers. Going over trails seldom traveled, losing friends and family along the way. Through all the trials and loss you stay true to what you know is the way. You light the way, and give out a light for others to follow.

You have sacrificed so much. Thank you for sharing the good and the bad with us.

My husband and adult children all left the church together last year. I'm a 5th generation bic. I have a bit more to mentally go through than my husband and kids. I've been indoctrinated on one level or another for 56 years. Now my time is spent un doing as much damage as I can. I'm so lucky to have my spouse and kids in the same boat paddling in the same direction. We are all blown away by your story. It's as compelling as any pioneer story I ever heard.

I hope more men and women in the church learn from your courage, and step forward to tell the truth. Truth about the church's dealings, and doings. They are using their members in the most despicable way. Somehow, someway, the members need to know this. Getting them to pay attention and listen is no easy task. I think your story will go a very long way to helping people out of this self serving and abusive church. Thank-you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 08:29PM by Mia.

Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: November 18, 2012 11:20PM

Tom,

Two weeks after having dinner with you at an incredible villa, last night we had dinner with a couple here in SLC. These men were married two months ago in a civil wedding in NYC. They are loving and delightful men. Amongst another bottle of fine wine, we discussed for hours our common stories and their individual travels out of TSCC. One was excommunicated at age 24 for being a celibate Gay (his parents attended the hearing, and were outraged at the callous treatment of their son but hung onto their beliefs regardless). The other was married in the temple and eventually served as a bishop here in SLC. He had a miserable existence in the church as he worked to fit the mold. He gave up on everything to earn the chance at a full and authentic life. And then, after solo journeys, these great men found each other and have built a beautiful life.

We had the honor of recounting our time with you and shared our echoing of your story. There we were, in a fine french restaurant, and not a dry eye at the table. At midnight, last night, I was emailing the link for your interview to our friends. They were ever so eager to listen to you interview as well as the one you did a few weeks ago with Tal.

You continue to inspire. You are admired, respected and loved by us all.

Best,

Mike

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.