Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BOUNCED! ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 02:33AM

Quick background:
-uber TBM with the typical Mo resume of priesthood callings
-family of six stopped going 4 years ago
-sent formal resignation letter to both SLC and local bishop over 3 months ago, but only heard back from SLC indicating it was a local matter (lame trifold invitation to come back enclosed)

So, today I called the "Confidential Membership Records" department in SLC. I was polite in asking where my resignation was in their process. He took about 2 minutes of clicking on his computer...then he announced that my formal letter would be sent out this afternoon and I should have it by the first part of next week.

I'm grateful for his help, but it left me wondering why they bother with all the hoops and extra work. Why not just efficiently process resignation letters? Seems stupid to me. I guess it should be expected from the Mormon cult.

Anybody else work directly with the Confidential Membership Records department?

I'm looking forward to the official letter next week :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Old Poster ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 04:09AM

resignations. Glad you called them. Best wishes within a new life minus membership in the club.

Posted by: BOUNCED! ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 09:42AM

I feel very fortunate that my wife and 4 kids bounced out of TSCC at the same time. Life is good.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 10:11AM

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 09:00AM

Was that all six or just you?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 09:33AM

They loves them some chain of command and layers of procedure.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 10:05AM

Congratulations on leaving! I had a similar experience to yours. Often, local leadership will just sit on the letters and refuse to act. It won't be long before someone sues the church over this and they will be forced to change their procedures on the handling of resignations and name removal.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 10:22AM

Yes, I did the same thing. Called, got Greg Dodge's VM, had my letter within a couple of days.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 10:52AM

I have read countless stories on here just like yours. I guess my husband and I were just super lucky... we had our letter sent out and the final letter sent back to us within a month. It was crazy how fast it all happened for us.

You'd think that they'd just want to get those done asap. Who wants a bunch of questioning members still on record, or maybe they do it to look bigger in numbers. Who knows.

heather

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 12:34PM

We had gotten our prelimary "please come back" letters, and then it seemed to stall.

I called Gred Dodge's office, and the final "you're out" letter arrived a few days later.

I wondered if they sent it only because I called.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 12:37PM

They are content to sit on the unprocessed resignations because it isn't their fault the Bishop and SP haven't processed them yet. When a specific instance is brought to their attention they have lost their plausible deniability and must processes the resignation.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 01:17PM

It was much harder a dozen years ago to get action from them. I had also been waiting for quite some time. But that was back when our beloved Kathy Worthington was in action. She gave me a number and a name to call at Member Records. It wasn't Greg Dodge, some other guy. She told me to tell him that she gave me his name and number. As soon as I dropped her name, I got the same "your letter is in the mail" action. And it was.

Miss that lady.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 02:39PM

She was a Great Lady. Her name was like magic.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 21, 2012 02:35PM

I mailed a Notarized letter and paid for the return receipt. I handed a copy to the stake pres at the end of a meeting that my ex and the bish had set for me.

There were no delays. Not everyone is going to do what I did.

Most times it seems the phone call to Greg Dodges office gets the job done.

OH BTW. YEAH BABY,YEAH! (for the family resignations)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 02:36PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.