Date: November 28, 2012 03:04PM
I learned about the church from the missionaries and from the people in whatever ward I was in. I also had the manuals. This is what I "knew" about polygamy and the lds church.
- It was practiced before 1890 and it stopped ever since.
- It was to protect women. Some were widows who needed a husband to take care of them financially. And also because women back in those days were frowned upon if they were single.
- JS was not a polygamous man, he was almost a Saint.
- BY started polygamy
- It was a limited practice
- The lds church has nothing to do with current polygamous groups, NOTHING. not in western Canada and not in the US.
- WE ARE NOT A POLYGAMOUS GROUP
So, like a parrot this is what I'd tell people who asked, especially my co-workers. Some years ago some groups in BC were in the news for their polygamous practices and were called mormons. My co-workers would ask me and my friends tease me about me being a polygamous wife. I repeated all the church told me, just like a parrot. I could see their faces of "whatever", you just don't want to tell us or you're just brainwashed. I probably looked like a fool.
I'm angry at myself for not investigatig further and at those who passed the misinformation to me. Those groups have everything to do with JS and therefore with the mormon faith. This is like trying to deny all muslims believe in the same Mohamed or that all Christians are different. They all go back to the same roots.
The LDS church lies and passes on the lies as if by so doing there would become a truth or a "fleck of history".