Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 10, 2012 10:28AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55424505-78/covington-utah-county-cotton.html.csp

Early LDS settler Robert Dockery Covington was chosen to settle the Southern Utah area because its similarity to the South where BY believed cotton could be produced successfully. "Covington boasted of his sexual conquests of slave women and girls, the narrator recalled. Once he described how he forced himself on a married woman after whipping her husband."

" . . . puts the skids to this happy fantasy that [Utah’s Dixie has] no connection to the Confederacy," Utah historian Will Bagley said. "The name Dixie reflects the sympathy that the southern Utah and the Mormon people felt for the Confederacy."

This ought to be good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoUtahADC ( )
Date: December 21, 2012 02:59AM

Please consider signing a petition to choose an appropriate name for the University at:

https://www.change.org/petitions/dixie-state-college-choose-an-appropriate-name-for-the-university

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: December 10, 2012 10:39AM

I love these little flecks of history! They're like a really, really bad case of dandruff on the shoulders of a greasy smelly old degenerate - just one more reason to find the whole thing totally repulsive.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 10:05AM

Ooh, nice analogy, there, xyz. You wax poetic this morning.

Date: December 11, 2012 10:01AM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 10:22AM

I never connected Dixie State College to the Dixie of the South.

I understand being disgusted by past atrocities. I do not understand erasing history. Those horrible things happened. We should remember horrible things just as often as we remember wonderful things.

The acts of our ancestors says nothing about us. The fact that my family many generations before me owned slaves doesn't reflect on me. Having a school named for a part of American history doesn't reflect on the current community it is in. Although the name Dixie does reflect the sympathy of southern Utah for the south when it was named, keeping the name reflects sympathy for history.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 10:56AM

I think naming a university after a horrible person like BY is a travesty!

But then I'm one of those icky little bleeding hearts who loves history but thinks you can celebrate history without glorifying monsters.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 10:44AM

I and most Utahns grew up taking a year of state history in school without ever learning that BY declared Utah a slave territory.

There were slaves on his wagon train, and the church took at least one slave as tithing.

Date: December 11, 2012 11:13AM

Wonder if any of these things are being addressed in public school Utah History today:

Mountain Meadows Massacre

Bear Mountain Massacre

BY's plan for Utah to be a sovereign nation.

BY's ouster as Governor

The many ways the govt. attempted to legally address polygamy, ie: laws against bigamy, cohabitation, etc. and the final compromise.

The establishment of colonies in Mexico to which hard-core Utah polygamists fled.

BY's $$$ collection for laying of the transcontinental railroad while workers were paid minimally or not at all.

Etc, etc.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 21, 2012 03:51AM

Yes they are all in the Utah history text. I.taught the subject for years

Date: December 21, 2012 10:57AM

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 04:56PM

Date: December 11, 2012 05:13PM

The Covington Mansion was bought by Washington City in April of 2012 and is being restored as a historical site.

http://www.wchsutah.org/homes/covington-mansion.php

A statue of confederate soldiers has been taken down.

http://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/
http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_2773.shtml

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 11, 2012 05:23PM

i have an ancestor who had a slave in utah.

disgusting

Date: December 11, 2012 05:24PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.