Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 07:44PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/55464305-80/church-women-lds-mormon.html.csp

Just when you thought you had heard it all!

Check out the pictures that are associated with this article. There is a pic of the outfit that BY had proposed for the women in Deseret to wear. What a getup!

Bloomers, tunic & a top hat!

That's some sex appeal right there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 09:49PM

I'd wear the hat and I think I would look quite fetching in it!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 09:56PM

HAHAHA Brigham's design isn't that bad. It's what the modern Mollys are wearing which is...er, um -- ugh. And if you are out of shape you should wear something that works with your figure instead of against it.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/slidegallery.csp?cid=55464305&pid=4466926

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 15, 2012 11:26PM

I would prefer something more like what Shania Twain wore in the music vid for "Man, I Feel Like a Woman."

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 01:08AM

I have seen it somewhere before. You will notice that the poor girl is wearing PANTS under her shortish dress. If only the women had adopted it. Each year they could cut another few inches off their dresses until gradually the old guys got used to women wearing pants. Much more appropriate on muddy streets and to jump across irrigation ditches.

Did you know that those big ruffles at the bottom of women's dresses were only tacked on so that they could easily be removed for washing? The streets were filthy and well, Salt Lake didn't get a sewer system until the 1890s. Would you want to drag your hems through that?

Good luck to all you pants-wearing courageous women!

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 01:13AM

I just read about this in wife 19!

also i agree with anybody. This is WAY better than a denim jumper and those hideous brown shoes that look homemade that I remember for rs... (Equally hated by me however were the "fashion mommies" I guess I'm just hard to please)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 02:12AM

Same here, I just finished that book myself. Those pants like outfits do look better than the denim jumpers and turtleneck shirts I've seen Mormon women wear in RS.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 02:24AM

I think it looks pretty snappy and maybe even a little bit racy for the time. Makes me wonder if Brother Brigham was, you know, a secretly aspiring fashion designer. :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 08:09AM

Sketch of Brigham Young's design
http://antimormon.8m.com/youngchp7b2.JPG

I agree with the author. It would have been OK without the hat. Making women wear it, however is another matter. Today this would be the same as wearing leggings under a short dress or tunic top -- both of which were originally worn by men centuries ago.

From "Wife No. 19"
http://antimormon.8m.com/youngchp7.ht

"When the clothing wore out, as there was no cloth there, and no wool to make it from, the men wore clothes made of deer and antelope skins. It was at this time that Brigham undertook to inaugurate a "dress reform "among the women, and introduce a most unique style of dress of his own invention. If the dress reformers of the East are likely to fail in their attempts to present a sufficient quantity of novelties to meet the demands of their patrons, I would most respectfully recommend to their most favorable notice President Young's "inspired" dress, which was called the "Deseret costume."

"It is a marked peculiarity of the Mormon Mogul, that he is extremely fond of interfering. No matter is too trivial for his mind to dwell upon and consider. Nothing is of too private or personal a nature for him to refrain from meddling with it. From the cuisine of the poorest family in the Territory to the wardrobe of the richest, nothing escapes him, and whatever he may say or do, no one dares resent his interference.

"Not long after the arrival of the Saints in Utah, Brigham conceived the idea of a uniform dress, by which the sister Saints should be distinguished from the rest of the world, and for a while he was enthusiastic on the subject of this "dress reform." He not only introduced the idea of this dress, but he planned it himself, and was as proud of his costume as Worth is of any one of the most gorgeous gowns which he sends out from his world-famed establishment. Several of the sisters had adopted the Bloomer costume in Illinois, and President Young had warmly approved of it. He now wanted something more pronounced, and he held meetings with the leading ladies who favored his plan, for the purpose of deciding in what manner to introduce the new costume. There. was much excitement over it, and most of the sisters were intensely curious concerning the proposed style of it, when suddenly it was revealed to them in all its beauty.

"The costume consisted of a short dress, which did not fit the figure at all, but resembled very closely the modern gored wrapper, such as is worn at the present time. It reached about half way between the knee and ankle, and was worn with long pantalets, made of the same material as the dress itself. Over this was worn a long, loose sacque, of antelope skin. This costume was certainly peculiar and distinctive enough; but it did not quite suit the Mormon Worth: The Deseret Costume. It was not complete enough; so he added a hat eight inches high, with a straight, narrow brim; and then he viewed his achievement with complacent admiration.

"It must be confessed, however, that the large majority of the sisters did not share his admiration; and even he, although he strenuously urged the general adoption of this costume, could induce but very few of the sisters to wear it. Even Mormon women will assert themselves in matters of the toilette, and they refused, most persistently, to make perfect guys of themselves. It was a very unbecoming dress, both to face and figure; there was nothing graceful or beautiful about it, and probably the female Mormons have never, in all their lives, come so nearly being actually indignant with their Prophet as they were when he endeavored to induce them to disfigure themselves by wearing this hideous costume.

"Some of the sisters, however, were quite energetic in their efforts to bring about the desired dress reform, and they cut their silk dresses and other expensive materials after this pattern. It is true, silk was not very common in Utah at that time, but a few of the more wealthy had brought materials with them for future use; and the first use they made of them was to sacrifice them to one of President Young's whims. They did it with an earnestness, and even eagerness, that was beautiful to behold - or would have been, had not one been pained at their delusion.

"But the "Deseret Costume" was not a success. The high hat killed it at its birth. It is possible that without this addition the rest of the dress might have been tolerated; but as every one who wore it was expected to don the hat also, the short-dress mania was of brief existence. Of course the material that was used for one of these dresses was utterly worthless after that, as nothing could be done with it. The dress was in so many pieces that the cut-up cloth was good for nothing.

"One or two of the Prophet's wives-who wished to serve the Lord and glorify Brigham, and who were determined to live by "every word that proceeded out of his mouth" - persevered in wearing the dress, hat, pantalets and all, long after every one else had abandoned it; until at last they were compelled to succumb to popular opinion and a more prevailing fashion. That was the first and last attempt of Brigham Young to institute a dress reform, although he has never ceased inveighing in the strongest terms against the follies and vanities of the feminine world, and assailing the women who followed the fashions. It is indeed, a pet occupation of his when he is in exceedingly bad temper; and the Saints can easily tell when anything has gone wrong with him during the week by the ferocity with which he attacks the sisters on the subject of dress, in the Tabernacle on Sunday. He does not seem to make a very decided impression on his listeners, however; even his wives and daughters following their own inclinations rather than his teachings. The truth is, he says so much about it that it is altogether an old story, and has lost all its impressiveness from its frequent repetition.

19th Century dresses by Jean-Phillip Worth
http://pinterest.com/vivienbowers/worth-gowns/

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 11:59AM

"It is a marked peculiarity of the Mormon Mogul, that he is extremely fond of interfering. No matter is too trivial for his mind to dwell upon and consider. Nothing is of too private or personal a nature for him to refrain from meddling with it. From the cuisine of the poorest family in the Territory to the wardrobe of the richest, nothing escapes him, and whatever he may say or do, no one dares resent his interference."

Perhaps the beginning of Mormons' lack of boundaries?

I was gobsmacked by the picture of the Mormon burqa. Just when you think that you know the details of Mormon history...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 12:36PM

Doesn't everyone want a wrapper on their meat (women)?

I mean, you don't want people looking and poking around in your things. So, you cover it up and protect it for your use only.

This concept is what is behind women having to dress a certain wa (burkas, head covering, veils, modest rules to cover this or that).

Do you see the women in the churches demanding men be covered up, hidden, and looking appetizing? No. That is how you know who is in charge of who.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.