Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 11:51AM

Quick story of the antics of my first companion in Fukuoka.

When I arrived in Japan the church had recently moved from the old translation of the BoM called the "Mormon Kei" to a more recent translation (in a more readable, colloquial Japanese) called the "Mormon Sho" and as a result most missionary apartments had stacks of books that were obsolete.

When I arrived in Fukuoka, the "Ammon Project" had recently gone completely off the rails (see http://elderkikuchi.blogspot.ca/2010/04/ammon-project.html) and had been replaced with a strict, metrics-based approach where each companionship had a quota to meet for each stage of the funnel. We had a defined number of contacts, BoMs distributed, lessons taught, etc.

Zone conferences were nice, awkward sessions where each companionship had to put their numbers up on an overhead projector in front of the rest of the Zone and account for them, while the President and their fellow missionaries picked them apart.

My companion had an interesting mindset in that he wouldn't fudge his numbers, but he'd follow an interesting approach: as we got close to Zone conference, he'd take me around with a backpack full of the obsolete BoMs, ring intercoms, give a halfhearted pitch, and when they refused, he'd ask if we could leave a pamphlet. When they agreed, he dropped a BoM in the mailbox.

His numbers (for the top of the funnel) were good, he had his contacts, he'd handed out his copies of the BoM, etc.

I just remember thinking it would have been so much easier to just fudge the numbers on the form.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 01:52PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 01:54PM

this is off topic from your post, sorry OP, but do JW's also keep track of their #'s? Just curious if anyone knows

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:51PM

Based on this I would say they do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses

One point of interest about JWs in Japan, when I would go tracting I'd see little tiny coloured stickers on the doors, not always the same colour.

I eventually found out that the JWs put the stickers on the doors, and that the colours represented the type of person inside, one colour (black as I recall) was a place they really should not knock on next time, and other colours showed if they would take copies of the Watchtower and whatnot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.