Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 01:41PM

On the eve of his 18th birthday Nate Phelps watched the clock hands move to midnight, then yelled to his family and ran out the door to the used car he had secretly purchased and packed, never to return. An older brother had left, so he knew what would happen: His father would turn him over to the buffetings of Satan in his flesh, and his family would be instructed never to see him.

This video tells his story. It's about an hour long. There are shorter interviews online for anyone who would like to hear the story but doesn't want to invest a whole hour. For those who have the time, it's an hour well-spent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwqZViW0b4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 01:41PM by sophia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:38PM

I just finished watching this. Well worth the time.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 04:26PM

Wow, that's so sad.
I've never thought that TSCC was the worst cult, but it always seems like the worse cults were things of the past.

It's sad to see such a virulent cult still alive (but not well).

I guess that's human nature. We like to pretend that barbarism is behind us, when really it's just contained. We like to think that intelligence, education, & enlightenment are at an all time high, when really stupidity is just cornered and hidden.

It really was a very sad video. I feel so bad for that man.
At least he prevented his children from suffering his fate.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 12:42AM

Unfortunately there are still some really awful cults out there, not the least of which is the Warren Jeffs faction of the FLDS. Recent reports indicate that he continues to issue bizarre and oppressive revelations to the faithful from his prison cell.

This year these have included:
-no one can have sex, including married people
-people not allowed to eat oats, corn, dairy or turnips. Sugar was already out.
-about 15 men called to be the fathers of all children. Some reports say that conception is an ordinance that must be witnessed by two witnesses
-Warren is in prison because his followers are wicked and not worthy of his presence among them
-All males must be circumcised, something not normally done to babies among the FLDS
-No TV, radio, magazines, internet--anything that would provide any of them with any information.
-And of course, the world is coming to an end soon.

He is a creepy narcissist. And people believe he is practically god.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:15AM

Thanks for sharing. This is powerful stuff. The guy could just as well be speaking in Ex-Mo Conference, and he could be talking about LDS or FLDS, or any old cult and I would totally get it. The only diff being that my dad was rarely physically violent. He was manipulative as hell, though.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 04:04PM

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 08:11PM

I notice they are firm on the King James bit, too.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 08:39PM

Wow, I am still at the beginning, with the dad's rant against Canada. What a total nutjob!!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 11:43PM

Exmos: beyond the sickening nature of WBC, does it make you feel any.. I dunno, not "better," but maybe consoled or relieved, that you weren't part of the worst one? Serious question. I think I would.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 12:07AM

it does.
I would flip the argument on my head, and say that it is less that I feel "better" and more that I feel that others have it "worse." It's just a semantic, but it changes the tone of the statement from somewhat-gloating to more empathetic.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 12:32AM

To me, the main difference between these Westboros and TBMs is that the Westboros leave you with no doubt of who they hate. They do not pretend to like or love you (no love bombs)......It looks like they hate most everything.
TBMs keep their hatred for everyone who doesn't agree with them hidden at least part of the time. They want more members (albeit fooled and brainwashed menbers)........these Westboros are not looking for more members it seems.
People wonder why athiests are angry........REALLY? People acting in the name of god(s) are far more hateful and angry than any athiest than I've ever met.
As far as schmendrick's question goes, it depends on whether you want the nasty stuff up front and in your face so you know where you stand immediately or if you want to be brainwashed into the fold and then find out. Each person is different that way.
While watching this did anyone else feel like singing "There Is Beauty All Around When There's Love At Home?" KIDDDING!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 12:39AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: December 21, 2012 02:03AM

for dazed11 - it takes time and anger is normal. After all, you were TREMENDOUSLY DECEIVED! Not a little white lie, a major lie that could effect your entire life. You have a right to be angry. We all are. Remember that you have that right. Try to work through it by remembering that you are not alone if that helps. We've all been there.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 10:56AM

I thought it was interesting how even though he had left his Dad's cult he still believed he was cursed and would never be able to have children. He just could not get that programming out of his head. It made me realize that it is probably normal that I have been depressed and sometimes even angry these past few months. It has only been a year since I left and I guess I have more things to work through than I originally thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.