Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 02:41PM

She persuaded the DA to drop all charges in an earlier case, and she had an annulment granted in Utah, but this was her first case that went to trial.

It's not even noon yet here, and my beer is already half-finished. We're at a pizza parlor instead of a bar, so beer is as potent as it gets. The paralegal, who was freaking awesome, is barely 18 and doesn't even look that, so a bar celebration is out.

Have a drink with me if you'd like.

The jury deliberated a whopping 31 minutes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 03:08PM

Date: December 19, 2012 03:12PM

Thanks, wine country girl.

Date: December 20, 2012 05:20PM

my wife's win yesterday was the first desfense win in quite some time --they were looking it up--but possibly the first win ever by a public defender.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 03:13PM

So, she got the 'yutes' off. But what's really important is what kinda pants you're wearing when you blow that deers brains out as it leans is cute little dear lips to the cool brook.

congrats to the Wife!

Date: December 19, 2012 03:27PM

She may find out more about that sort of thing, as the DA handed her a card and asked her to call. She may have the opportunity to jump ships (to the ship on the prosection's side of the courtroom) and she'll probably jump at the opportunity

Date: December 19, 2012 03:42PM

but at least she has one win under her belt no matter what.

Seriously, this has been a tough road for her. Just into her third and final year of law school, she got a cystic fibrosis diagnosis. She didn't just develop the condition. It was there all along. though not in its most virulent form since she was still alive. she had to deal with Clark professors, some of whom wanted to make zero accommodations to help her get through. she really needed to finish in that year because it was time for me to move on for my residency, and the Utah winters were doing her no good.

If it were not for a couple of professors who were decent human beings and one general authority who is a friend of my father and from who a favor was called in, she would not have gotten through.

But she did, and the rest is history.

Thanks, Cathy, and if you REALLY want to go, maybe you should. My mom wanted to get an MBA and never did, and she still regrets it. She probably could now, but my sisters all need help from time to time with their little ones, and she wants to be there for them. (I know. It's a rare quality for an LDS grandmother.) One sister just gave birth to [surprise] preemie twins, and the immediately-preceding babies are 9 months and almost 2. She should have just gone for it a few years ago, and we all could have pitched in to help out with each other's kids until she was back in circulation.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 03:58PM

I do want to go and am actually almost there - I am 50, graduated from Utah State a few years ago summa cum laude and with a fistful of awards, earned a masters degree, and have all of my application materials in to the University of Utah except my LSAT score - after excelling in school for so many years I experienced something unusual in that I bombed the test. I need to retake it and ramp up my score, but other than that all my recommendations, including one from one of the best, most highly respected lawyers in the state, are in. I'm a homebody and it would require a long commute every day - I'm willing to do that, but...I don't know. Maybe I'm still working on my self-confidence, or something like that. Between the church and my birth family I ended up with less than none. I'm working on that, though. :)

Date: December 19, 2012 07:33PM

Thanks, everyone.

MJ, in a court procedure, my wife owes it to her client to present the case in the most advantageous light possible.

When a message-board debate is taking place, it isn't wholly inappropriate for me to have stated that just because you consider another poster to have a poor or nonexistent understanding of the workings of social movements, the rest of us are still entitled to make up our own minds in regard to the matter. It would be nice if we could do so without your then going off on silly little tangents, attempting unsucessfully to nitpick with regard to choices used in wordings of posts.

I would be honored to continue to debate with you at some other time and place, but this thread belongs to my wife. I'll ignore any posts in this thread that seem to me to have been written with the intent of engaging me in debate. Furthermore, I promise not to invade a thread or real-life gathering featuring your significant other for the purpose in engaging in debate.

p.s. You never told me how long you were actually a member of The church.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 03:27PM

Congrats - that's awesome! I have pined to go to law school for a long time - I'm long in the tooth now and probably won't do it, but I admire people like your wife that not only go, but excel afterwards!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:56PM

But I bet she did better than just saying "you might be wrong" in regards to the claims and evidence presented by the opposition!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:07PM

Congratulations to your wife and bravo to you for celebrating her win. I was wondering how she was recovering from her surgery a few weeks ago. Apparently, she's on-the-mend if she's making arguments in court.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:44PM

I'm an attorney and when I won my first criminal jury trial (I've not lost one) it was the first defense win in a couple of years in the jurisdiction. My client was innocent and framed in a bomb incident.
Congrats to your DW! I'm impressed!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 07:39PM

Congrats to your wife! What a thrill! Litigation was my concentration in law school and I loved it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.