Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 11:35PM

The pretentious prick who pretty practically protected predator priests

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 11:54PM

The pope is infallible..... He doesn't have a phallus.

Posted by: corajudd ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:02AM

He's the guy who has more fancy dresses, sparkly hats, flowing capes and dazzling jewels than all the Disney Princesses put together. And the guys he works with wear dresses too.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:05AM

The pedophile protecting, gay bashing, dress wearing veteran of the Hitler Youth.

Though I can't say anything too harsh, as I am currently trying really hard to rub uglies with a devout Roman Catholic friend of mine. She's a red head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 12:06AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:55PM

The Pope is irrelevant....as is every other religious leader. The fact there are church leaders in positions of power who can ruin lives, cause murder, genocide and other atrocities to happen by forcing their followers to follow stupid rules under penalty of excommunication or death is an obscenity....

Ron Burr

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 05:56PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 06:22PM

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 06:24PM

I like it when people call him Joey Rats, short for Joseph Ratzinger, his actual name.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:08PM

There's no getting around the breath-taking beauty of the Vatican, though - at least, that's how I see it.

I'm not and never was a Catholic. However, the age-old chants and rituals appeal to me. In movies like "The Cardinal," and "The Shoes of the Fisherman," where they show the rituals of how the Pope is elected - it's like watching millenia-old choreography. They same the same words, in the same language, and move in the same patterns. . .this fascinates me. Doesn't mean squat, but it's pretty to watch as a historic relic.

And the priceless art work contained in the Vatican. . .wow.

I guess I would have to say that I respect the guy in charge of the Vatican State, as I would respect the head of just about any sovereign state. I respect the traditions he represents. I just don't buy into them, personally.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 08:38PM

His holy pupate, morphing from fleshy caterpillar man to butterfly god in a traveling glass case. He's dressed like a bishop from a chess board, triangular hat and floor length gown. The pope will invade your bedroom and steal your condoms. He figures that holding up two fingers and muttering some Latin makes him appear to be deep. Weepy Italian matrons are most imressed.

Date: January 11, 2013 08:51PM

I have the official translation of when he stands on the Holy Balcony and waves his fingers and mutters in Latin:

"All of you I-talians. Git offa the grass!"

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 03:13PM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He figures that holding up two fingers and
> muttering some Latin makes him appear to be deep.
> Weepy Italian matrons are most imressed.

Benedict is actually a pretty deep thinker and theologian. You don't publish The Dialectics of Secularization: On Reason and Religion with someone like Jürgen Habermas if you are a total idiot. He was an academic long before he became a pope. I'm not arguing that he's a good man on a personal level or that his conduct as pope is beyond reproach, just that he's not intellectually shallow.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2006/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2008/04/europe-and-its-discontents---50

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 03:18PM

In an interview in 1999 Habermas stated that,

"For the normative self-understanding of modernity, Christianity has functioned as more than just a precursor or catalyst. Universalistic egalitarianism, from which sprang the ideals of freedom and a collective life in solidarity, the autonomous conduct of life and emancipation, the individual morality of conscience, human rights and democracy, is the direct legacy of the Judaic ethic of justice and the Christian ethic of love. This legacy, substantially unchanged, has been the object of a continual critical reappropriation and reinterpretation. Up to this very day there is no alternative to it. And in light of the current challenges of a post-national constellation, we must draw sustenance now, as in the past, from this substance. Everything else is idle postmodern talk."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:33PM

I wouldn't say the Pope is stupid. A traveling cross-dresser who manages a cadre of child molesters ain't my cup of tea, is all.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 06:26PM

++ 1

Date: January 14, 2013 10:43PM

Not impressed.
To employ reason to preserve religion and to then employ religion to protect child rapists, preserve death by AIDs, and guarantee the oppression of girls and women worldwide, is morally bankrupt. The Pope is proof that intelligence and integrity can be strangers.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 07:23PM

I don't think in the end that he's going to be one of those memorable popes. He's not going to be beloved (as was John XXIII,) nor admired for his tireless work ethic (JP II,) nor even despised to any great degree. He's a placeholder, not a dynamic leader.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 08:54PM

+1

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:14PM

A clownish anachronism? Yeah, I'll go with that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.