Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:16AM

Pawn stars is okay though. Even if it is fake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:17AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:10AM

And that program "Who really discovered America" has been thoroughly debunked by very credible scholars.

BTW, the new Smithsonian Channel looks pretty good right now... I hope it doesn't go the way of the other drama llama offerings, however...

Date: January 11, 2013 03:10AM

There are actually a lot of good programs on the history channel even today. That said, one in every two people have below average intelligence, and factual documentaries do not appeal to them as much as alien and bible nonsense. Hence, the History Channel, in order to protect its ratings also airs a lot of garbage that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 03:10AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 12:20AM

Lowest common denominator eh? ;)

While some will stand aside and mock, I will be using the info gleaned from the latest "Ancient Aliens", about the possible powers of the pyramids, to launch my own whirling tetrahedron, by means of which I will be able to bilocate to Sirius system.

So there! :)

Actually, I've known about quantum geometries for decades already, and I've been applying the principles to good effect.

Despite any of its defects, I actually do applaud "Ancient Aliens" tho, because it brings a greater public awareness to the topic of ancient history, which most people know little about. I think people should consider that the modern history of human civilization is older than, say, Sumer (which many still consider the oldest urban/ag civ.), for example.

For further example, the roots of Vedic culture as typified in the Harappa and Mohenjodaro sites, have been clearly found in digs in Pakistan's low hills country, where organized agricultural societies were fully functioning at least as early as 7000BC. Logically, the roots of small urban agrarian society extend further back than that date, as such a site as Mergarh didn't just spring into existence over night.

I think people need to consider just what it is we do have in such sites as Sacsahuaman and Tihuanaku in the Andes, at Baalbek in Lebanon, the pyramids in Bosnia and China, and various sites recently discovered which are currently submerged in shallow seas. There are many mysteries and unanswered questions about these sites, not the least of which deal with an accurate dating of the sites, as well as to the means and methods of how such gargantuan monolithic architecture could have been constructed by so-called primitive societies. Such questions need to be addressed by mainstream students.

Studies into some of the anomalies found on Earth are in their infancy. I must, like Pope in his homage to his bibliophilic flea, applaud any effort to move this work along.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 01:25AM by hello.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:25AM

Try to sell a copy of the Bible to Chumlee:

Owner: It's a Bible in good shape.

Chum: Is it like a gibbon's Bible?

Owner: You mean Gideon?

Chum: Yeah?

Owner: It's KJV.

Chum: Russian?

Owner: I will hurt you.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 03:03AM

that was funny, good job ! thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 03:05AM

the sooner the public realizes that the bible is a sham, the better off we will all be

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 04:59PM

If this program hasn't been aired, maybe we should give it a chance. It is possible to do a scholarly series on the Bible, but with the recent track record of the HC, I am not holding my breath.

Date: January 11, 2013 05:04PM

The preview shows a computer generated ark, with dramatic close ups of Noah, suggesting they are taking his story somewhat seriously.

You are right though. It could be a program that debunks some of the sillier aspects of the bible, and where the history actually comes from. By advertising it the way they are, they could be drawing in their target audience, who are fundamentalist Christians who take things to too high of extremes. I am not holding my breath.

I liked Mankind, the story of us, but thought they were taking the story of Paul too literal, since we don't know if he was a literal historical figure. On the other hand, by focusing on him rather then Jesus, they were able to focus on the influence of Christianity, rather then have to get into the whole, was Jesus even real, myth.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:27PM

It's the history channel ! They never miss a beat when it comes to telling us how true the bible is !

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:09PM

And what's with the dude with the hair? You know the one, right? It's brown hair, it always looks like he just stuck his hand in a light socket. I swear everytime that guy is on, I can't even listen to what he's saying, I'm so busy gigging at the hair! He really does groom it that way on purpose!

Pawn Stars is my hunny's favorite show ---blech!--that bald guy is such a rip off artist, I end up yelling at the TV when it's on (he puts up with me) because I don't want people to sell off their stuff to him. Lol. But he also loves those alien shows...I just tease him about them, and remind him every two seconds that stuff is fake. Guess I'm just a kill -joy. :-D

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:34PM

He wears nice suits. But you're right. I can't pay attention to what he's saying, because I'm so distracted by his ridiculous hair. He looks like a Centauri on Babylon 5.

Posted by: Oakland Guy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 11:57PM

Since there are tv cameras rolling the Pawn Stars people probably buy things at a lot higher prices than they would normally. Pawn Shops exist to take advantage of desperate people. Hardcore Pawn is more a little more realistic than Pawn Stars.

Date: January 11, 2013 05:36PM

I don't know if he rips people off, or if he actually has to take into consideration that he wants to make a profit while still covering his overhead. Most of the stuff that gets brought in, I think are plants. The so called experts who come in from specialty stores or museums were the ones who really provided the object in question. Storage Wars got revealed doing things exactly that way.

Still like the show, even though I can't understand why.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:45PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if he rips people off, or if he
> actually has to take into consideration that he
> wants to make a profit while still covering his
> overhead.

That's word for word exactly what he says too! Ha, I didn't know you two knew each other. I still roll my eyes and think dude's a ripper.

Storage Wars is a little addictive, I used to make fun, call em glorified dumpster divers and all that, but then you know, it rubs off on me and I end up rooting for my favorite guy, the collector. I kinda figured they had to plant stuff to make it exciting. Not everyone stores exciting stuff, right? Most of the time, it's stuff tou don't have room for and I would imagine it's more wise to keep valuables in the home or a safe deposit box...Oh and don't get me started on the Amish Mafia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 05:46PM by FormerLatterClimber.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 05:32PM

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 07:30PM

The bible is part of human history and deserves scholarly study just as Roman, Greek, Nordic and other mythologies. I just hope they can present it in a way that's neutral, not professing it to be any more than the book of magical thinking that it actually is.

Date: January 12, 2013 12:27AM

Yes, if the show becomes just another shill to build up the truth and reality claims of Judaic and Christian Bible-based culture, that would not advance knowledge in any way.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 08:35PM

The Bible is not all mythology. There is historical and moral truth in it which has had a profound impact on civilization. It is true that some adherents take it too literally in parts which are not to be taken literally, However one may feel about the extremism of some bible supporters, it does not excuse extremism in the other direction. I am sure the series is not about "finding Noah's ark" but of looking about areas of historical fact and about the effects of those facts as well as biblical stories and even the religious effects of differing ideas stemming from biblical interpretations, including wars, etc. Remember, even concepts such as property, working, sharing, family and so forth often come from Bible teachings. Don't knock the series before you watch it.

Date: January 11, 2013 09:35PM

Agreed. It could be an excellent series or on the level of the Nostradamus crap.We will see. The history channel has really gone downhill recently.It is mostly about pawn shops and aliens

Date: January 11, 2013 09:43PM

So these common sense concepts were not around before the bible ?

How about telling us some of its "historical truth" besides place names ?
Don't knock truth about the bible before you understand it.

Date: January 11, 2013 11:41PM

Right, because the Chinese never had any of those values before the white man showed up with his fancy bible.

Date: January 12, 2013 12:31AM

Yeah, the Indus/Saraswati Indians had developed a civilized and generally peaceful urban culture millennia before the so-called Abraham character ever supposedly existed.

How could they do that, with no Bible???!!

Is a puzzlement... :)

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 10:13PM

Even though the bible may have some occasional historic facts and some feel-good stories, it is clearly written by people who were guessing, using oral histories which had been strongly affected by myth and alteration. Nothing about Jesus was written until decades after he died. Many of the moral truths written were just common sense or borrowed from previous wisdom. There's no science in there, not even the rudimentary science that existed in other places at the time. The writers were insular bronze age goat herders.

Also the story of Jesus suspiciously parallels other mythical stories about other "messiahs" and demigods during that era. The Jesus stuff was a conflated myth probably based on an eccentric rabbi who got himself crucified like hundreds of others who irritated the Romans a little.

It also contains some of the most atrocious savagery, promotes slavery and God-approved mass killing. It's obviously not a book to be taken seriously in guiding one's life. I dismiss it as anything I need to bother with in any way other than scholarly ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 10:14PM by rationalguy.

Date: January 11, 2013 11:45PM

Actually, what went wrong with the history channel is they added two knew channels along with it, Military and History International. All the good shows got moved to those other two, which sadly are not on every ones cable plan. All that left was the crap Nostradamus and reality shows for their showcase channel.

I love most of the stuff on the Military Channel, but it's name makes me feel like I am some old washed up wannabe who never served and lies to everyone about being a SEAL every time I watch it, even though I never have claimed to anyone to ever have been in the service.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 12:01AM

I was a little disapointed with the dvd's i bought my dad for christmas of Mankind the Story of All of Us. The first DVD supports the birth and crucifician of Jesus Christ.

Yet at the same time, they air a program where Stephen Hawking shows how religion is all made up and that there are answers with evidence (solid) of the origins of our being.

Date: January 12, 2013 12:04AM

The vast majority of scholars believe Jesus was historical.The HC is on solid ground there assuming that they didn't assume the miracle stuff happened. The Jesus/myth stuff is a conspiracy theory not accepted by the vast majority of scholars. Believe it if you like, but that doesn't make it respectable scholarship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 12:07AM by bona dea.

Date: January 12, 2013 11:19AM

Sounds like another one of your made up stories.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 12:16AM

See that's the problem. There are things that are historical, mostly just the culture. Some of the places existed, a few of the people, and even (by chance it seems) a few of the events. And for some reason way too many people can't seem to grasp that it doesn't make it historically accurate any more than something like Sherlock Holmes.

Ancient Aliens is a guilty pleasure of mine. But I borrow it from the library and I don't have cable/satellite, so I'm not adding to any profit margins. :P

Date: January 12, 2013 12:18AM

The first Sherlock Homes book, "A Study In Scarlet" had a lot of neat historical facts about the church, but hardly anyone would use that as justification in saying that the book is a historical record of Mormonism.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 12:37AM

That's my point. It's the same reason people shouldn't try to justify the Bible.

Date: January 12, 2013 11:25AM

I know, but you mentioned Sherlock Holmes without giving a shout out to the one Mormons really hate.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:51AM

But I love ancient aliens! That Georgio guy with the crazy hair is awesome.

But yeah, bible miniseries is too far out there :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.