Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 07:59AM

http://m.io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

Send this link to the TBMs you know. They can't say it's anti-mormon.

A few gems:

CONFIRMATION BIAS: We love to agree with people who agree with us. It's why we only visit websites that express our political opinions, and why we mostly hang around people who hold similar views and tastes. We tend to be put off by individuals, groups, and news sources that make us feel uncomfortable or insecure about our views — what the behavioral psychologist B. F. Skinner called cognitive dissonance. It's this preferential mode of behavior that leads to the confirmation bias — the often unconscious act of referencing only those perspectives that fuel our pre-existing views, while at the same time ignoring or dismissing opinions — no matter how valid — that threaten our world view.

INGROUP BIAS: Somewhat similar to the confirmation bias is the ingroup bias, a manifestation of our innate tribalistic tendencies. And strangely, much of this effect may have to do with oxytocin — the so-called "love molecule." This neurotransmitter, while helping us to forge tighter bonds with people in our ingroup, performs the exact opposite function for those on the outside — it makes us suspicious, fearful, and even disdainful of others. Ultimately, the ingroup bias causes us to overestimate the abilities and value of our immediate group at the expense of people we don't really know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maggie ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 08:36AM

A friend of mine, who was living in Utah at the time, was amazed my the looks of distain she received after wearing a tank top and capris to a child's soccer game. It was as if she was evil. She quickly learned how to dress to please the LDS tribe.

My other military friend (non-Mormon) bought a lacey undergarment to "copy" what the LDS were wearing. She had no idea about "garments", but started wearing these tops. I'm sure it helped her feel part of the tribe.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 08:41AM

I hope you're not implying that these are exclusively characteristic of religion or that leaving religion makes us immune to them. Your suggestion to send this is like the glass-house dweller throwing stones.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 08:53AM

Of course not! The article doesn't say these biases only apply to the religious people. Everyone is subject to having biases. However, I know some TBMs that would read an article like this one (not anti-mormon) and it may help them to see the biases that prevent them from processing the "truths" about mormonism. You never know, it may help a few. I'm sending it to two TBMs I know. We've had a few discussions about whether or not it's a good idea to read material, political and religious, from the other side. They are coming along, slowly but surely.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.