Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 09:21PM

My religion teacher mentioned on the first day of class that he had recently received some instruction from a GA about the eternal nature of families and my first thought was if they'd received their second annointing. I know, of course, that it's totally possible that the church did another "for seminary/institute teachers" devotional, but still, that wasn't my first thought when he mentioned it.

I suppose to spark some discussion rather than me just posting something random, do you think that most of the religion professors at the church schools receive their SA at some point while they're teaching?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 10:01PM

My guess is that he said that to set the tone for how impote...important his class is to you.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 10:19PM

rainwriter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do you think that
> most of the religion professors at the church
> schools receive their SA at some point while
> they're teaching?
-------------------------------------------------------
No. I think thats pretty much just for general and area authorities. Maybe a few stake presidents, but I think even most of those haven't heard of it.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 11:09PM

I think some of them are aware of it. One of my religion professors had been asked (as a side note before class, not during) by someone in my class about "the calling and election made sure," The professor acknowledged that it existed and was a non-essential ordinance and because the need for an apostle to preform it means that not everyone can logistically receive it, so it's not talked about in terms of being an actual living ordinance so people don't feel left out or less worthy. This professor was fairly young, and had mentioned at some point that he was the youngest high priest in his ward by a good amount.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 01:41AM

Yeah, I'm sure many stake presidents have heard of it, especially in the US, where they actually meet with GAs fairly often. But I would imagine that almost all stake presidents in far off countries where Mormonism is still pretty new have never heard of it.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 10:52PM

And just why would a GA have secret knowledge that others didn't already have access to? Just another example of how people think authority automatically means special.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 02:34AM

AGREE!

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 02:49AM

That's what I thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.