Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:44PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,759783

A slight, non-threatening delay.

Another button.

You are still completely anonymous, unaccountable, no one will know you ever pushed the first button.

Unless you push this button.

Now you will be known for pushing a button that made Mormonism go away. You still control a lot of your notoriety, you don't have to explain why, you don't have to talk about it all, but you will be known as the person that pushed the button that made Mormonism go away.

Do you push the button?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:46PM

Probably not.

I wouldn't mind being known if it was required/needed, but I wouldn't want to be a celebrity, so to speak.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:49PM

gentlestrength Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> You are still completely anonymous, unaccountable,
> no one will know you ever pushed the first
> button.
>

Why all the worry about anonymity and not being held "accountable" if it was a GOOD thing to do?

And does pushing the second button mean you will be held accountable for the violations of the civil rights of so many?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 02:58PM by MJ.

Date: January 13, 2013 07:05PM

The second button is a tricky one, I expect it may result in people hesitating or preferring to have someone else be accredited or accountable for an action that results in the fall of the Mormon church.

Edited to help the reading and listening impaired, if you did not push the first button, you won't get a chance to push the second button. There is another thread for non-responsive O/T posts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 07:18PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 07:08PM

The problem is, what you propose, isn't ethical.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 07:43PM

So yes - would be willing/happy to take accountability.

However, I wouldn't want the celebrity. I'm the sit anonymously on the back row kind of guy.

Date: January 13, 2013 07:50PM

Understandable, this is structured for reflection and revelation. Who knows what being associated with this event would create for someone, it could be very negative to very positive. I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to push the button and then disappear on the back row as it plays out.

I am sure there are examples of other large organizations and institutions that came to an end by individuals who were very private, as well as individuals that were very scene stealing and everything in between.

Enron is a business example. Some people did push the button, some disappeared quietly, some will forever be associated with the fall of Enron.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 07:21PM

I wouldn't push the button at all, because my struggles against Mormonism have been painfully personal. I want to be known. My real name is Don Bagley and the Mormons can look it up. Father: Emanuel Robert Bagley, Grandfather: John Henry Bagley. Go ahead, look me up, Mormons.

I hope to damage LDS credibility through exposure of misdeeds and false doctrine. That's my button.

Date: January 13, 2013 09:44PM

This button has been a lot harder to push than the first one, this is not surprising. This button is unnerving. I'm not so sure I would have pushed it myself until lately. I think I might now. So I am yes.

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 01:44AM

I have to assume that even if this button was pushed my family for the most part would still continue attending church and worshipping in the same way. They would convince themselves that all is well in Zion. This lifestyle is so ingrained in them I don't think most of them would let it have much affect. It is like a heroin addict. Mormonism is their drug of choice and giving it up wouldn't be an easy thing. After I approached my husband with the shady Mormon history I think deep down he realized the church wasn't true. He said that even if it wasn't true he would still continue attending because religion is important in our families (daughter's) life. It is a conditioned habit for most Mormons.

Date: January 14, 2013 01:21PM

Last run on this thread, anyone who would of pushed the first button want to weigh in on whether or not they would push the second button.

Date: January 15, 2013 12:25AM

Thanks to all button pushers and thoughtful decliners.

As I mentioned with the original thread I was troubled that having emotions about Mormonism was seen by some as a distraction from life.

I wanted to ask questions in a way to see how many of us feel about Mormonism's existence in our time on this earth and what we would be willing to do about.

I believe the first decision, as discussed, is if something should be done. If something should be done would we be able and willing to accept responsibility for doing something about it. Lastly, I would have like to pursue at what cost--financial, emotional, social, time, and other resources. Depending on the resources chosen being in the background or on the forefront can be chosen.

I also wanted to state and recognize something I have found in myself, and I think many here. That it is hard to openly challenge Mormonism for some of us for a few reasons--mine are managing the family dynamics is next to impossible. This is why the second button is so hard to push for me. I would love to contribute openly to challenging Mormonism in public forums radio, TV, in print, but where I am know, personal loss and conflict would be staggering I believe.

So with that respect to our RfM hosts SusanI/S and Eric, Anointed One (Tom Peters), Steve Benson, Sandra Tanner and many others who are in open challenge of Mormonism....I think it is a difficult button to choose to push for many reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 12:44AM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.