Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:57PM

I was reading the "What is the creepiest thing about the temple in your opinion?" thread and noticed many of the comments were about things that are no longer part of the ceremony.

So that got me thinking: how would you rate the *current* temple creepiness, on a scale of 1-10, and how does that compare to the creepiness of the temple prior to the major changes that have occurred in the last 20 years (also on a scale of 1-10)?

I guess I'm wondering if you still think the endowment ceremony is a major wake-up call for members even without all the throat-slitting and naked touching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 07:59PM

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 08:04PM

If we are rating it solely on creepiness? It's a solid 3 I think.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 08:07PM

It went from creepy and feeling like sexual assault, to a big yawn and asking yourself what the big deal is.

The movie is a yawn. The handshakes seem like something little kids do when they make up their own club house. Same with your secret name.

The outfits are hilarious. The bright green aprons are ghastly and offensive to anyone with a bit of fashion sense. The bakers hats look like something out of a SNL skit.

To top it all off, you find out there are thieves in the temple. What happened to satan can't reside there?

The whole thing is silly. The fact that they spend so much money on those buildings is downright offensive. The way they come by that money, is even worse.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:54PM

That is quite the synopsis. Eye-opening...SNL skit and all..:-)

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:47PM

First time: August 2008. St. Louis temple. I had to rent my temple clothes. Right after the check-in desk, I was led to the counter. There were CASH REGISTERS--that's right, folks, CASH REGISTERS in the tepmle. Uh, isn't this where Jesus comes in and turns the tables over? Hmm. $10? I'm not taking them home, can't I just borrow them?
I had to wear a veil over my face? Uh--Thanks, God. The creepiest thing has to be the prayer circle--all of us in white, ridiculous garb that made us look like reformed clan members.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 11:23PM

My son after told me he thought "I'm in a cult"

I think it is still a little odd and creepy and those of us that went through before are more acclimatized to it than newbies.

so for us penalty people, 3 makes sense now. But for a newbie more like a 5 or 6

Personally I was 7-8 on this scale when I went through in 89. creeped me way out, but I buckled under and was a good TBM, shoved all that angst down inside, now in hindsight I think that is one of the things that really ties you to the morg. You get sucked into a shared creepy experience (without warning) you are scared to speak up because of the experience and warned not to. not unlike hazing...

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 11:26PM

It depends, do you go off of your first experience or last one. The first one was easily the most creeped out I had ever been as a Mormon. By the time I attended it for the last time so much of my soul had been sucked out that it was just normal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.