Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 05:56PM

Sometimes I get the feeling that Uchtdorf is trying to get people to research the truth and find out for themselves. Especially after yesterday's fireside.It seems as if he's talking both sides of the fence here.Is there double meaning in his addresses? He would really have to tow the line to be in the position he is in but sometimes I wonder if he really is trying to get people to find the truth and he could reach alot of people by being in that position. Does anyone else see this? Or am I just crazy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 06:07PM

I actually got the feeling that may be a possibility during his CES devotional. There were a lot of things he said that pissed me off in the latter portion of his talk about how you can only know the truth for sure via the Holy Ghost, that basically negated the first half of his talk...but I can't help but feel maybe the first half still planted some seeds. He said a lot of things that were...too reasonable.

We do know that there are at least a few GAs out there who are on our side of the fence. At least, I think Grant Palmer is a reputable source when he claims to be in contact with a non-believing GA who's trying to help.

As for Uctdorf, I'm pretty skeptical. The thought occurred to me during his talk, but I'm just not that optimistic.

EDIT: Link to fireside?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 06:09PM by doubtisavirtue.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:23PM

Uchtdork is speaking from both sides of his mouth. There is the
obligatory "we welcome truth from any source" that TBMs can
point to when they are accused of being closed-minded but the
marching orders are to believe and not to doubt.

It reminds me of the missionary I knew long ago who told me he
wasn't prejudiced against Blacks but, a moment later, said that
when he sees a black guy with a white woman his immediate
reaction is to want to kill them (and I don't even think he was
that much of a student of the teachings of Brigham Young).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 09:24PM by baura.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:41PM

I had a comp just like that!!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:28PM

Naw, it's the same old, same old Mormon rhetoric. He's just good at couching it in flowery speech.

Posted by: bzabrisk ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:37PM

Yeah. Because there's no such thing as an intelligent believer...

Do we really have to carry on with this dogma? There are tons of Mormons who are completely intelligent and rational and respectable. To deny this is no less delusional than young earth creationism.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:45PM

One of my doubting friends gave a talk yesterday in church. He quoted Hinckley and Holland's "either it's true, or it's a fraud" propositions, and it was interesting to see. I knew where he was coming from, but afterward a bunch of very TBM members came up and congratulated him on the greatness of his talk.

I think we tend so strongly to confirmation bias that in most of these speeches, we filter it to our own perceptions. My wife finds Conference inspiring; I end up with an actual, physical pain in my neck because I'm gritting my teeth so hard at the B.S. they're spewing.

I doubt that Uchtdorf is trying to ride the fence. If anything, he's using the words of the doubter to encourage the faithful. To let them know that they can doubt, but that the way out of the doubt is the only TRUE way (tm). Maybe he's even rubbing it in our faces, that bastard!

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:30PM

Dallin A Chokes....I actually busted out laughing at that last line. Reminded me of south park.LOL

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 01:26AM

I think any doubters in the listening audience will be pushed to look a little further, and that would be a good thing.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 01:38AM

They cant continue forever, thats why LDS INC is investing in turnkey properties for rent, ect. With these investments the prominent LDS families will stay powerful and wealthy above the rest of western states.
If Uchtdorf were to be the Profit he might reveal the true history, but stand on the concept that the Book of Mormon was inspired by God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.