Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 02:37PM

It makes my blood boil just thinking about everything those idiot doctors took away from me when they violated my body just moments after birth:

http://norm.org/lost.html

I had no choice in the matter. They stole my birthright because in the late 1800's some brainless fools introduced the practice as a "cure" for masturbation. I can just imagine their thought process ...

"Hmmm, how can we save our boys from masturbating and sending themselves to hell? ... I KNOW! Let's amputate some of their penis and make it less functional and less sensitive. Then they won't even WANT to masutrbate!"

The worst part is, there's nobody for me to sue (or kill). It's just an irreversible tragedy. It's just my lot in life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 02:49PM

My father was an OB/GYN and did this procedure thousands of times. It actually has some medical benifit and helps keep the rate of sexually transmitted diseases down.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/health/circumcision-policy/index.html

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:14PM

My doctor told me that those benefits don't exist when moderate hygeine exists. He said that the biggest factor in the decision these days is cosmetic.

How long ago was your father an OB/GYN? My doctor said that this indifference towards circumcision is very recent to the medical community.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:29PM

My father had been practising medicine for over thirty years by the time me and my sister came along (the 1980s). He's gone now but he had a record of over eighteen thousand deliveries during his career.

In Europe circumcision was a religious thing but in the USA it was and still is done for hygenic reasons. To my knowledge most males in the US are cirumcised. I've not seen that many naked men but I've yet to see one who wasn't.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 02:58PM

I was circumcised with permission from my atheist parents based on the idea that there was medical benefit in doing this.

I, personally, do not think it is their choice to make. The person should be able to choose if they want the skin or the medical benefits when they get old enough to choose.

WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/guide/circumcision

"Currently, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend routine circumcision for newborn males stating the evidence was not significant enough to prove the operation's benefit."

Posted by: jackamormon ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:04PM

I know a guy who had to be circumcised at the age of 6 because nobody taught him how to properly clean himself.

I was engaged to an uncircumcised man. I know this is gross and TMI, but I never in my life had as many urinary tract infections as I had when I was with him.

Just saying.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:33PM

You gotta understand that, since only an exceedingly small percentage of men world-wide are circumcised, following your model would mean that women all over the wold would be suffering urinary tract infections. That's not the case. You either had bad luck, were prone to urinary tract infections, or any number of different other things. Besides, any urologist will point out that circumcision or lack of it offers no particular advantage either way. Only now are they beginning to understand, in fact, that it is men who benefit in a small way if they are circumcised young and the sensitive part of the penis gets toughened up by constant contact with clothing that the individual is slightly less likely to contract HIV/AIDS because of it. So far that is the best anyone has come up with.

There's also the fact that women's genitalia require far more hygiene to be as clean as an uncircumcised man. Sorry. It's true.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:33PM

and no difference in number of UTIs.

I do remember when I realized they had circumcised my son. Yes, I had agreed to have it done. That was 27 years ago. I remember him wimpering in his hospital "bed." I always wondered about my choice to do that--to a little baby--to my son.

My nonmo boyfriend is not circumcised. His mother's attitude was "why would I take a knife to my perfect newborn son???" She was a smart lady--long before her time.

I'd never do it again.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:35PM

Circumcision, really any genital cutting of any sort, is absolutely outrageous. It's not just the boys and men who suffer, either. Sex with a circumcised man brings about a whole host of difficulties and pain for the women as well. sexasnatureintendedit.com is a pretty good resource for learning about this.

I harbor a lot of hatred for my in laws over what they did to my husband as an infant. The pain that his circumcision has caused me has been at times unbearable. No one should have to cry from sex with their loving, considerate partner.

Foreskin restoration (non surgical) is a great option and I have a lot of respect for the men who pursue it both for their own comfort and their partners.

Some men find closure by talking with their parents about why or how could they have done such a thing. Other's dig up the records of the actual beast of a dr who did it to them and call them to ask why.

It is a horrible, barbaric thing and a shame on our society. It is no different from the little girls in Africa who are cut apart to "keep clean" and "look like their mothers and sisters." I am so glad I found out the truth before my sons were born. The cycle of sexual assault stopped with me and my boys and future daughter's in law have been saved from it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:11PM

<<It is no different from the little girls in Africa who are cut apart to "keep clean" and "look like their mothers and sisters.">>

Um, it's a little different. I'm a circumcised male and I function just fine & dandy. No problems at all.

Cutting off a woman's clitoris is a completely different story. Comparing the two is (insert clever word here that hasn't been invented yet).

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:22PM

It is not different. Both are violations of a person's right to their body and their sexuality. Circumcised men the world over say that they have no problems and function just fine but how would they know when they have never known any other way of being? Of course clitorectomy affects a woman differently than Western circumcision affects a man. The anatomy is only similar so the effects can't be identical. But a great many of those women go on to say that they function just fine, and they are the ones who perpetuate the practice upon the other little girls. For many cut women, this involves removing the clitoral hood and inner labia while leaving the exposed clitoris. This is as similar as it can get to what happens to men.
The damages done by male genital cutting and female genital cutting, in all their different varieties, are certainly comparable.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:51PM

A lot more harm and loss of sexual pleasure occurs when the extremme version is done to a female. They cut off the clitoris so the woman won't have sexual pleasure, the labia and then sew up the vagina so that menstrual blood caan barely get out. The husband cuts the stitches. It is not the same or anything close. Give me a freaking break.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 04:59PM by bona dea.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:07PM

You started by saying "it is not different" then listed a bunch of reasons why they're different.

They're the same like peanut butter & jelly are the same: they both go on your sandwich, right?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:43PM

I'm over it, I don't have any emotional or physical issues so why hold a grudge? My sons are uncut because having a choice I choose the route of less mutilation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 03:44PM by jacob.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:54PM

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:27PM

I'm assuming by "foreskin nazis" you mean those who OPPOSE strapping down helpless infants and amputating sensitive tissues of their sexual organ without consent. (Not those who do it.)

I'd rather be raped than have my sexual organ mutilated. (I'm serious, if some wacky science found you can be restored to the way nature intended you to be if you get raped 100 times I would do it. Maybe I would feel differently if I was a woman ...)

I would pay serious money to be restored to the way nature intended me to be.

I am outraged that sex with my wife has to be a painful experience for her.

If that makes me a "foreskin nazi" then I guess I'm a nazi.

Date: January 15, 2013 03:57PM

Most of the guys I know are cut and they seem to enjoy sex as do their wives. I wouldn't cut my child, but I am not seeing this as a big problem unless you suffered long-lasting complications.Besides, if the procedure was done when you.we're a baby, you have nothing to compare it to and no way to know if you are missing something in regard to.sexual pleasure

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 04:05PM by bona dea.

Date: January 15, 2013 04:12PM

Date: January 15, 2013 04:32PM

If it became customary to cut off 3/4 of a baby's penis at birth, would saying "if the procedure was done when you we're a baby, you have nothing to compare it to and no way to know if you are missing something in regard to sexual pleasure" really be a valid thing to say? They could very well have a good idea that they were missing something in regard to sexual pleasure.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:04PM

Logical fallacy.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:08PM

You should not ape words that you do not know the meaning of.

BTW, I was using an ANALOGY not logic, but someone with the education level you claim to have would have known that, right?

A double standard comes about when you do not apply the same "don't know the difference" to females in regards to sexual satisfaction and genital mutilation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:13PM by MJ.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:14PM

You should talk

Date: January 15, 2013 05:15PM

All that education you CLAIM to have and you reply with a 5 year old's response?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:07PM

My ex and I didn't have our son circumcised, because it's not medically necessary (obviously), and frankly it seems a bit barbaric. All the excuses for it fall down when you consider that most of the world doesn't do it, and people are just fine. Of course my son had to learn to clean himself, and apparently it was easy enough for a five year old to do it, so I don't know what an uncircumcised adult's excuse is for poor hygiene.

That said, I'm not really missing anything sexually as a result of circumcision. My parents have said that they would not have done it if they had it to do over, but I don't hold it against them. It's just an American fad that I don't think does much real harm other than that a person ought to be able to choose it. It's just the way it is, and I can't change it. I don't really care that much about it.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:24PM

Better to take a piece of skin than a chunk of brain.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:44PM

I was circumcised with pinking shears. It has enhanced my social life.:)

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:50PM

We also chose not to cut our son and he easily learned how to clean himself at an early age (my ex-husband showed him). Even though I never considered circumcising my son unless there were serious medical issues that required the procedure, living on the east coast in a progressive ward (since I was TBM at the time), made it more acceptable as well.

In my youth, I was a Candy Striper (not a stripper) at a hospital and volunteered for two years in their maternity ward. I've seen tons of circumcisions, some botched, too. I personally stepped up to soothe the babies after the procedure and would quietly cry with them. I never understood why the procedure was done, and especially without using anesthetic.

I was a bit militant in sharing the descriptions of the procedure to friends who wanted to cut their babies, but they just wanted their sons to "look like their dad" or "like other boys". I mentioned that if more of us didn't circumcise our boys then they'd all look alike. To that response they'd say, "Well, it's not my choice, it's my husband's." I encouraged them to hold their baby's hand or caress their head while the procedure was done but none were present for the circumcisions saying, "Oh, I couldn't be there, that would be too hard to watch." Then why?!

IF there's a medical reason, then yes, get it done, but please let the child choose for himself and ask for anesthetic.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:02PM

Meh. What I never had can't be missed. Sex still seems fine, and worrying about whether it would be better with a foreskin hasn't occupied much of my time.

Date: January 15, 2013 05:11PM

Yeah, female mutilation does not affect me so it's not worth my time.

?
More impaired logic. I said no such thing. When are you going too.learn how to read?

Date: January 15, 2013 05:17PM

If the "it does not affect me or how I feel" is a valid argument to ignore male genital mutilation, then it is a valid argument for ignoring female genital mutilation.

Well it is to anyone that is not using the famous Bona double standard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:19PM by MJ.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )

Nope. I'm glad my folks had it done. I just wish the doc had used pinking shears.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.