Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 2humble4u ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:53PM

One of the first things that I found odd about the church, even before I actually began questioning it, was the term "being Christlike." Actually "odd" doesn't seem to do it justice, perhaps "offensive" does. Each time I did something nice for my family, friends, neighbours, dog, etc it was because I was being Christlike and not because I just wanted to do something nice for someone else. Oh, of course I was praised and told how Christlike I was, but I still felt hurt by it.

Because why couldn't I be good just because I wanted to, or because I liked making other people around me happy? Why did I have to be like someone else when helping others? Why couldn't I be myself?

After asking these questions, I felt confused because I had no real answer. I wondered if perhaps there was something wrong with me - even though I read my scriptures and prayed daily, was I an inherently evil person? Could I only do good because I was compelled to? These questions troubled me to no end, and I often felt bitter; not at the church but at myself. I tried to be a better person than I could ever have been, I set impossible goals, and in the end the only person I hurt was myself.

Of course I never shared these fears with my parents. I didn't want them to think less of me, and so the only person I could confess to was God. So I prayed, and I prayed often, but I never received an answer. I felt awful, but I would never tell anyone because it would have been a sure sign of my loss of faith, even though that would only come later. I was convinced that I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

It's often said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I guess in a TBM's eyes it was because my praying led to not receiving answers to them, which in turn led to begin questioning other aspects of the church. Maybe God wasn't answering my prayers because I was praying to the wrong god. Or maybe he just didn't exist.

I shared some of my concerns with parents and church leaders, not in a challenging way but with genuine distress. Some of them were hostile, thinking I was an apostate-to-be, while some did their best to answer but most of my questions never did get an adequate response. Wow, I'm starting to tell my deconversion story... looks like I might as well keep going then.

So I started high school the next fall, and I noticed that seminary, mutual, ward activities, and the Sabbath were taking out a big chunk of my week. I felt like I was being indoctrinated (which I was, in early-morning seminary) and I began to resent the church. But I still didn't know whether or not I believed. In some ways I wanted to, the church was like a safety net and it was sometimes nice to know that some Power was watching over me. But the doubts just wouldn't go away.

So one day, when I got home from school, with nobody else in the house, I hopped on the computer and did a quick google search. I don't even know what it was, maybe something about Joseph Smith or tithing or something else entirely. I was drawn into this new world I had just discovered, the other, darker side of the church. I lapped it all up like a dog that hadn't drunk a single drop of water for days.

From that day on I did more and more research on Mormonism, with great care to use Firefox's private browsing setting so that nobody else in the house would know what I was up to. The more I learned the clearer it became to me that the church just couldn't be true. I found and began lurking on RfM. And slowly I began to decide that perhaps the church wasn't just another, benign church but a harmful cult. I went from one extreme to another in about a year, from TBM to secret apostate. I still went through the motions of mormonism and never let on, until a few weeks ago when I spilled the beans to my parents, and now I'm busily resisting all the love-bombing coming my way. My parents are still under the impression that this is a "typical teenager thing" that I'll be cured of in a few weeks. They expect to see the happy little TBM they knew return. I know that my actions have hurt them, and they genuinely want the best for me. Sometimes I feel guilty and entertain the thought of rejoining the church.

But as one wise poster once said, once the toothpaste is out of the tube it just doesn't go back in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 04:59PM

I'm bugged because most of the people that chant that are unmarried virgins. It would not bother me if Christians were all exactly like Christ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:01PM by MJ.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:24PM

2humble4u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> After asking these questions, I felt confused
> because I had no real answer. I wondered if
> perhaps there was something wrong with me - even
> though I read my scriptures and prayed daily, was
> I an inherently evil person?

According to... well all religions I'm familiar with, yes, that is the reason.

I forget who said this originally, but "sin is the imaginary disease that religion has invented in order to sell you the imaginary cure."

They want you to feel like you are an inherently evil person and must buy what they are selling in order to be good.

Posted by: wwfsmd ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:34PM

Nope. Nothing wrong with being Christlike, as long as you're planning on being nailed to a tree to complete the picture.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:39PM

I'm a christain, and even that term bothers me because TBMS and the morg throw it around so much, and the morg acts so christlike, NOT

I use jesus most of the time

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:43PM

Being "christlike" means torturing your creations for doing what you created them to do.

They can shove "christlike" you-know-where...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:48PM

Yeah, it bothers me too. It has an underlying implication that you're only a good person if you're a Christian -- actually a Mormon because I don't think other Christians say that very much.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 06:56PM

What I hate the most about it is that within Mormonism, it is just an empty word. It has little meaning, and "Christlike" behavior is actually way out of the Mormon ken. It is just a sort of red herring word they like to use to deflect people's attention from the actual church.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 06:59PM

Yes, i also didn't like that i was to become like Christ. I, too, wanted to become ME and wondered why god would create all of us differently if he wanted us all to be Christ. It would also entail a more detailed book of christ's life, so he could be emulated better, and with less contradictions.

Not too keen on the crucifixion thing either.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 07:00PM

No such thing, unless used as the following: "Zeuslike", "Santalike", or "Harry Potterlike".

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:52PM

I just think if they refer to me as "Christlike," they want to crucify me.

Posted by: kizdar ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:57PM

I agree. Jesus wasn't the only one who was nice, and good, and helping, and tolerant, and giving, and all the other positive things a person can be. People were like that before he was born, and after --- like 2humble4u for instance! :)

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:16PM

I don't mind the term when pointing out un-"Christlike" behavior among uber religious folks and hypocrisy. Otherwise, I'd prefer it not be used.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.