Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:15PM

That's an AA slogan.

Since I left the church, I don't pray much anymore. But my family is sick - real sick - and the only prayer that pops in my mind is this AA slogan: "Do the next right thing." So I am. One MINUTE at a time (not a day at a time).

Our family stats:

DD#1 has had 2 psych hospitalizations in 2 weeks (post-partum psychosis.)

Her 3-month -old baby caught Flu A (epidemic in S.E. US) and was hospitalized.

Social Services was called on DD#1 for medical neglect.

My special needs son caught Flu A and spiked fevers of 104 degrees+ (taken to Dr.) Stayed home from school 5 days in a row.

DD#2 (8 months pregnant) has been helping to care for both little boys and caught Flu A. Rushed to ER late last night.

Social Services visited the baby in hospital last night and the home today, due to concerns about DD#1's state of mind.

Me? I had a FUCKING flu shot this this year! Guess who gets to take care of this mess?!

;o)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:24PM by shannon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 06:52PM

That's some rough going, shannon. Life can be like a roller coaster sometimes. It seems like all you can do is hang on for the ride.

Best wishes,
Don

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 07:59PM

It will get better, Shannon. It HAS to.

Hang in there.

Posted by: roxy ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 08:28PM

I agree one day you will look back at now and be proud of what a trooper you are, I know you are very worried about DD1 - but try looking up stories of women who have been through it and emerged the other end fine - very reaussing that's it's an ilness of the mind that usual gets well again, I think you said you are a nurse? you know that anyway I guess so preaching to the converted - but surroud yourself with posative stories about how people get through this and it will gve you hope you may not have much of right now. all the best :) and tell your family to get the freaking flu shot next year!

Date: January 15, 2013 09:35PM

How did I get to be matriarch??? I've got this gigantic family, spawned by Mormonism. None of us believe anymore, but we're still left with the big-family dynamics of Mormonsim.

Flu A decimates an extended family and the one young mom dealing with post-partum depression gets slammed.

It's sad really. We're not perfect, and we can't be.

;o)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:38PM

Not for them, for you. They owe you this Mother's Day big time!

Date: January 15, 2013 09:43PM

If you were straight I'd jump your bones. Thank you for the laugh.

Luv,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:55PM

you know if you are talking about jumping guys there are a few who would be interested! :D lol.

seriously though, hang in there, life will get better, you will make it through to the other side!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 09:56PM by sparkyguru.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:48PM

Ikes! It's the month from hell.

The worst has to be the post-partum psychosis. That would be really scary. What's the prognosis on something like that?

I hope it gets better. Much better, and real soon! *HUGS*

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:58PM

Oh wow. My motto is work on things you can do something about. I really like "Do the next right thing."

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:03PM

Shannon, I almost wish that I still prayed so that I could pray on behalf of you and your family. Instead, I'll just send good thoughts your way. Please take care of yourself, too, in the middle of taking care of everyone else. Whatever you need to do...take a 15 minute drive, have a double bourbon, a bubble bath, a gigantic cheeseburger, or whatever tiny decadence might help you feel normal for a brief moment.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:15PM

I know what you mean, stbleaving. When I used to pray, it felt like that was at least doing something, instead of just watching someone go through difficult times and all you can offer is a cyber-hug.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.