Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annabelle ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 08:46PM

I have been asked to write a memoir (to be published)of my experiences in the lds church for over 20 years. I was a young convert at about 14 and resigned at age 38. My years in church started out well enough but then I married too young and was caught in bad abusive relationship that resulted in divorce. The church was an integral part of the relationship.
What do readers find interesting? Most of the memoirs that i have read are usually about women leaving polygamy. While I was not part of any polygamous groups, my ex was anxious for the call. I lived through oppression because of poverty and the teachings of the church.
If you have any suggestions-thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 08:49PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:13PM

I think people enjoy reading about other people's lives, inserting themselves into the story and having a vicarious experience, finding things they can relate to, and gaining insight from others' experiences. BUT, no matter what you write, some readers will love it and some will hate it. If you worry too much about the reception, it'll take forever to write and not be as good as if you just wrote what you think is important.

Posted by: Annabelle ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:36PM

thanks for the input-i have only been asked to write something and then submit it to see if is something worth continuing. you are right about some people will love it and others will hate it-I just have to get the thoughts written down.thanks

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:20PM

Myself being a woman, and knowing how sexist TSCC is, your feelings about the Phood controlling you and your family would be of interest to me. Were the men "taught" to control/abuse their wives? Were you, however subtle, "taught" to accept/ignore the abuse? Only you can tell your story and how you felt. Good luck to you. I hope you have put the ugliness of the cult behind you and embraced life and freedom!

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:02AM

I'm writing a book. On the same subject. Hope to read yours soon!

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:02AM

Nice auto-correcting there. :/

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 12:13AM

Deborah Laake wrote a book, "Secret Ceremonies," about leaving the church that really helped me let go. She just told her story and was honest and open about all the weirdness that is Mormonism. I couldn't put it down because so much of what she was saying rang true with me.

Just telling your story in an honest and forthright way will help others who are in the same boat. There are so many women out there who would like to leave the fold and can't get up the courage. Reading and relating to your story may be all they need to finally break free.

Good luck!!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 16, 2013 01:51AM

Carry a notebook everywhere you go!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.