Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 10:37PM

It would be very interesting to get an idea of how many people here were missionaries, and how many people you baptized on your missions.

I was a convert later in life, so no mission for me, although my husband and I had thought we would serve a mission together one day.

Mission averted, thank goodness!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 10:41PM

10. And I don't remember a single name

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 11:06PM

One. I lost contact with her, though. So I haven't been able to apologize.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 11:39PM

About 50. It was in the Philippines.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 11:47PM

About 25 in Argentina. It's source of guilt for me now, although the guilt is assuaged by the probability they are mostly inactive by now. I truly cared about each of them, and thought that I was doing a good thing by helping the church.

Posted by: VukiClan ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:53PM

My grandma baptized 1000 in tonga! #proud

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 19, 2013 11:57PM

some days I feel so guilty about it.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 12:00AM

1. She was old then and that was 23 years ago, so I'm sure she has passed on by now. Poor thing. I wish I hadn't knocked on that door now. She didn't need the mormon church any more than a fish needs tits.

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:22AM

I never went on a mission, but my dad says he babtised around 300.

...for the record, despite being an active Mormon, he's NOT proud of this.

He was in Tokyo, Japan, during the Groberg Era (around 1980). Groberg ran the Tokyo mission like a business and it was all about numbers, sell sell sell, get your numbers up whatever it takes...even if that means taking shortcuts.

They would often try and convince people to get babtised during the first discussion, or even have a babtismal font ready *during* the discussion. Find all kinds of cheap tricks to get their babtisms up.

Even though my father is still an active believer today, he still seems vaguely ashamed of this. He says it wasn't about the edification of the spirit. He said the thinking was if the retention rate was 10%, and he babtised 300 people, that would be 30 new members, but he no longer subscribes to that kind of warped thinking. He also stressed this is NOT typical, it was a very extreme case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 04:24AM by doubtisavirtue.

Posted by: Laozi ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:34PM

My condolences to your father. Those men ruined a lot of missionaries as well as, from the church's perspective, the country of Japan. The church has shrunk there ever since.

There is a special place reserved in hell for Groberg and Kikuchi. I'm told that G has come to regret what he did, but he surely has not admitted that openly and never reached out to the people he hurt. I consider FlattopSF to be one of those. K has never even acknowledged that he was wrong. Ironically, he is once again in charge of Japan, screaming and yelling his testimony and intimidating people as part of his MLM approach to the gospel of love.

Just goes to show that the church is incapable of learning anything about people and cultures. The first move on the part of a truly true church would have been to fire that jerk and reach out to the missionaries and members he wounded. Instead, they ship him stateside so he can damage American wards and stakes and then send him back to Japan to compound the harm.

End of rant.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:37PM

That mess made it all the way down to Fukuoka in time for me to deal with the aftermath.

Posted by: Laozi ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:43PM

They are still dealing with that crap. Just a few years ago a stake president's counsellor in Tokyo told me that they are still sending people around tracking down old "converts" to see if they even know they are members of the church. If not, they are taken off the rolls. But of course most of those thousands upon thousands are long gone and untraceable.

The other damage, though, the harm done to the missionaries, has never bothered the church at all. They may want to track down old baptisms to see if they can be activated, but the church never tried to locate and help the young people whom Groberg and Kikuchi harmed. The speed with which they threw those boys and girls away was amazing.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:57AM

Did not serve a mission but was in touch with a missionary who served in my area. This was about 30 later. Not one person he had baptised was active nor had they been for decades. AND the Ward missionary leader from that time went inactive as well.Bet they are still on the books though....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 02:09PM by ladybug.

Posted by: shazam101 ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 04:59AM

18 in New England from 76-78

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 10:40AM

Somewhere around 75 - the highest in my mission in AZ.

Oh the shame - I hope/believe most of them went inactive within a couple month.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 10:45AM

Posted by: mcdonkie ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:22AM

62, the only thing it did was bolster the whores membership numbers. I am happy to report that not a single one of them are still attend the mochurch. Now that's what I call success.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:35AM

About 40. I know for a fact many of those people were already inactive before I even left the mission (which does give me some solace now). I'm sure there are a few however that have remained active. The one I feel more guilt about is a young woman I "reactivated" and then she went on to serve a mission, she says because of me. Yikes! I don't know how many she may have baptized in her mission...

Posted by: charles, lazy punk ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 11:44AM

10 - most of them kids. In the Philippines. I hope they all left the stupid cult. Well, I'm sure they have.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 12:06PM

4. Korea 76-78

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 12:38PM

ONE

Posted by: The Matrix ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 01:44PM

About 40. And I too feel bad and guilty for convincing people from one of the poorest countries in the world(El Salvador 97/98) to pay money to my church.

I'm proud to say that by the end of my mission all but one family of four stopped going

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:05PM

Two, which has helped me avoid feeling guilty about trying to convert Japanese people.

One left within a month and apparently only joined because he was a bored college student who thought it would be an interesting experience. He already knew the mormon church was false beforehand, but thought it would be fun to be baptized anyway.

The other one told me that he didn't join because of the missionaries, he joined through the help of a friend of his. I don't feel guilty about this one because he's the kind of guy who would fit in really well as a mormon.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:12PM

70 or so.

Posted by: nwguy ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 02:17PM

7. Germany mission. But one big caveat: they were all Americans affiliated with the US Military stationed there.

Posted by: lordnottingham ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 03:53PM

~25 in England, 2006-2008. like everyone else, i'm glad that none of them are active anymore.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:37PM

Any chance you came to Newcastle? I might have met you...

Posted by: mormondumb ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 05:32PM

Around 100. Most were inactive immediately. I hope the rest are now. The only one I really remember at all is the girl who wanted to marry me - wish I hadn't been so obedient, she was an awesome person.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 06:01PM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 20, 2013 06:27PM

Only 5, merci-Dieu, in France.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:59PM

63-65
1/2 just over 9 years old the other half just barely over 18.
Mission was salt lake city south mission under pres. F---ing Brad kiss my azz Risenmay

I think most of the kids were safe, they at least had inactive parents.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:03PM

I think it was anywhere between 25 and 50 in the SLC, Utah Mission.

I transferred so often (not a trouble missionary if that's what you were thinking, haha) that I don't feel responsible for half of the baptisms.

Most of them were 9 years we scoured from membership records and spouses of Mormons. We'd occasionally find baptisms from tracting too. I think some people saw LDS Inc as "normal" since most of their neighbors were Mormon and it was the predominant church in the area, so they were more inclined to let us in the door.

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:05PM

Around 70. Brazil in the mid 90's. I know of one that is still active. He found me online and I spoke to him on the phone about a year ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 11:08PM by Hold Your Tapirs.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:06PM

Zero. Missionaries were not allowed to baptize converts in my mission. The baptisms had to be performed by members. I taught three people who joined the church. The mission average was about 1.0 per missionary per year.

Posted by: anonni ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:12PM

I didn't go on a mission.
However, over my lifetime i've had 5 friends who were baptized.
Two became major TBM's-6 kids missions, tons of grandkids the works.

one went to church with me until they told her she had to go to her own ward. She never went again.

The others i've lost touch with, but wouldn't be surprised to find out they've left.

One of them moved to Utah and went to work for a dentist that was also her bishop. I often wonder if she's still Mormon.

Posted by: anonguy7 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:22PM

Scotland - 3.

Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:39PM

Sydney south mission -50

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:41PM

(Sorry - duplicate)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 11:43PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:46PM

21 in San Diego. 1 of them didn't show up for confirmation.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:50PM

As a sister we don't have the proper genitals to baptize.

I taught one kid before baptism.
2 adult to baptism.
Started teaching about 4 and was transferred halfway through each time.
Reactivated 1.

I left the mission half way through. I couldn't stomach it. Literally and figuratively.
The mission president gave Texas horns to the monthly top selling team.
As a 21-22 year old young lady who was a city girl the idea of anticipating horns was hardly motivational.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.