Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 05:34AM

"Young women you will be the ones who will provide the example of virtuous womanhood and motherhood. You will continue to be virtuous lovely praiseworthy and of good report. You will also be the ones to provide an example of family life in a time when families are under attack, being redefined and disintegrating. You will understand your roles and your responsibilities and thus will see no need to lobby for rights."

Elaine S. Dalton, YW General President, January 15, 2013.

I tried / failed to find an offical LDS link to this; it's soooooooooooooooooooo stupid.... I'm wondering if we've been Pranked!

However: IF Joanna Brooks comes out with a Spin, then we'll 'know' it's an accurate quote, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 06:40AM

To hear it straight from the horse's mouth (if you can stand the little girl voice):

http://byutv.org/watch/de1638f4-c3d1-48ec-8999-cc8face48ab7/byu-devotional-address-elaine-s-dalton-11513

At approximately the 32:28 mark

BYU Devotional
Elaine S. Dalton
January 15, 2013
"Prophetic Priorities and Dedicated Disciples"

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 10:19AM

Wow. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and listened for a few minutes on either end in case there was some context that would somehow soften that ludicrous statement... nope.

Posted by: Aquamerina ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 02:01PM

same here

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 08:21AM

LOL!!!
LOL!!!
LOL!!!

My daughters friends are always amazed that my ex and I stil get along and talk with each other in public!

My daughters and sons have noticed they still have parents in spite of a needed divorce.
In fact their relationship as children with each of us was strengthened by the divorce.

My MIL noticed happily she got to see and know her grandchildren better after her son and I divorced. In fact my TBM/BIC MIL felt that my child by my second husband was her grandchild too.

So who is providing an example of a 'strong' family to the world?

People who visit and work things out, or the young woman who cuts off her Mother/Mother in law from seeing their family because they are not active members or members of the TSCC????

This is in the same camp as sending boys out as "Elders" of the true church to convert the wicked from their unhappy lives!

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:36PM

It was like blah-blah-yada-yada and then suddenly "yeah, you should give all voluntarily up a fundamental human right."

Wow, that escaladed quickly.

Posted by: Mrs. Hill ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:42PM

So much for it being a world wide church. What about the poor women in India getting gang raped on buses? Do they also have no need to lobby for rights?

Posted by: cantbsabser ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:43PM

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:47PM

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2013/01/keep-busy-in-the-face-of-discouragement/

Feminist Mormon Housewives are disagreeing with Elaine Dalton's speech.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:47PM

You will, you will, you will!

Free Agency for women kicked right in the face.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 01:59PM

Bad enough, the condescending, lying, manipulative attitude and that horrid General Conference-type voice and delivery, but actually hearing that line, spoken with a benign smile, not only enrages me all over again, it kind of frightens me - they'll stop at nothing to maintain power and control, and too many young people continue to buy into it and allow their lives to be ruined.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 21, 2013 11:30PM

When I was searching for the link in my post above to Elaine's talk, a Babycenter link was near the top, so I took a look. Some of the comments accompanied by graphics are highly enjoyable.
BTW, this is the BC "Mormonism & More" group, not the "regular" LDS BC group.

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a39376264/elaine_daltons_talk

When I double-checked my link, there was a new post with an interesting link, although a few parts are a bit Mormon-y. I wish more Mormon women (and men) would watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRp0dCFoT4&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 06:53AM

So disturbing! My teenage daughter resigned her membership at the beginning of the year. So proud that she would stand up for her beliefs and not lose herself in this blather.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: January 22, 2013 07:01AM

Wow, that is AWFUL! I love how she lulls everyone droning on with the usual tripe and then slips in the little.. "Oh, and don't worry about silly, trivial things like HUMAN RIGHTS." Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.