Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:17AM

My daughter just asked me to go to her patriarchal blessing tomorrow and I told her emphatically - no.

Just another nail in my coffin.

Fucking morons. If she had invited me to go to her palm reading or a psychic I would have. At least there it wouldn't be totally bullshit. Those people at least know how to cold read. I can appreciate skills in conning people when they are obvious and not tied to some fucking concept of "eternal progression."

Shit like this blessing are just dangerous. I'm allowing some old fart to give his unrealistic expectations to my perfectionist daughter.

Father of the fucking year here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:21AM

I feel you, I feel like a failure every Sunday when my otherwise normal kids go get their brains washed. Then during the rest of the week when I try to soil them up again I go back to feeling mostly ok about my fathering skills.

Date: January 27, 2013 02:46PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then during the rest of the week when I
> try to soil them up again I go back to feeling
> mostly ok about my fathering skills.

I told them all today the same story. I think what they are learning isn't true and that a Tarot Card reading is more effective than a Patriarchal Blessing.

I just don't get my oldest. She isn't speaking to me. I'm giving her that space. I think she has hopes and it is painful to eradicate them.

I absolutely HATE that about Mormonism. It is a religion so fantastical that once you've "taken your endowments out" and actually enjoyed it and it "strengthened" your testimony you are gonzo. You are so into the fantasy of Mormon existence that no amount of talking will convince you that other people took the other pill and got out of the Motrix.

Posted by: birthgoddess ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:31AM

I feel your pain. 19 year old daughter is getting ready to turn in her mission papers. Next step: temple. Not sure how to handle that one. She has no TBM family locally. Of course, being newly freed from TSCC, I couldn't go through with her. Don't want to even drive there with her and wait outside. The "ick factor" would be too great. Does that make me a bad mom?

Date: January 27, 2013 02:49PM

The scenario you describe is going to happen with my eldest but that she will have a mother to do it all with her.

I've been struggling with if she will ask me to go to her "setting apart" as a missionary in 4 years and also if marriage is "in her future" whether I will be one of the unworthies on the outside of the temple.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:53PM

it doesn't make you a bad mom, when my son went through I was all but gone and I pretended to believe to give him support in what I knew would be a freaky experience.

I definitely would share with her what they do in the temple before she goes.

I wouldn't powder coat it at all. I'd make sure she understands that origins and changes that have occurred (im a pre 1990 myself)

your daughter is about to go through a cult initiation process, it is the shared freaky experience that has to be put on a shelf that in essence bonds her to that group (with you on the outside it will exclude you from that bond ) make sure she knows how much you love and care for her no matter what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 02:53PM by sparkyguru.

Date: January 27, 2013 02:53PM

birthgoddess Wrote:
> Does
> that make me a bad mom?

I don't think so but I think you will be tortured with it for the rest of your life.

The delusion of Mormonism doesn't accommodate the people who aren't Mormon or refuse to pretend to be Mormon and these people end up paying for their disregard for "The One True Church" because the f'ing church isn't to blame.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:52PM

UGH.

The thing that irritates me the most about them is that they plant the ideas of what they want you to do in your blessing and them you make the motions to fulfill it yourself.

Then they act like it was some kind of miracle that they knew what you would do!

It's manipulative. They remember the hits and ignore the misses.

I agree. A psychic at least is more entertaining.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:41PM

I'm so glad I raised my children with NO knowledge of the church whatsoever...they won't have to unlearn a bunch of dangerous, meaningless drivel...

Ron Burr

Date: January 28, 2013 06:36AM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> ...they won't have to
> unlearn a bunch of dangerous, meaningless
> drivel...

I just hope mine do unlearn this drivel. I've got hope.

I've always been slightly uncomfortable with showing any religious fervor and I think many people are.

In my case, I "lack faith" because I just have a hard time not questioning and not looking for something with more ground in the reality I see. Bible stories or BoM stories always seemed so unreal.

I can hope that some of this may be true for my kids.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 11:32AM

To give people hope, I was the child of a man who left the church and tried (badly in my opinion) to share what he had learned with me.
I was angry at him and thought he was lacking humility and strenght to be in the church and it was all his fault.

Years later, after I followed my path and when it was time for me, I found out the truth and now am out (about 2 years)
The only sad thing is that my dad is dead now. He died a year before I discovered the truth (or the lies if you want to put it that way).

When I finally realized it and declared that I never want to have anything to do with that so called church again, I realized how unjust I had been towards my dad. I made peace with it (and actually with him in a sense). It ended up being a beautiful personal moment for me.

Date: January 28, 2013 12:50PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.