Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:26AM

just took I-5 up from San Diego through La Jolla and saw the most awful eyesore ever.

All I could think was the Surrender Dorothy graffiti in DC or our own beloved Surrender Dorothy. Someone has to do something about that.

It' like someone took a dump on the dining room table, then focused a huge spot light on it.

It's even WORSE at night, all lit up, if that's possible.

If that's not a Kolobian "Up Yours, San Diego." Then I don't know what is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:41AM

You must be talking about the San Diego temple? I am now going to have to go find a picture of that temple lit up at night....

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:43AM

Where is your sense of humor? Relax. Enjoy. Smile.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:04AM

I always feel like it appears out of nowhere and smacks you in the face as you're driving up the 5. Maybe I'm zoned out or something, but it sneaks up on me every damn time.

It kind of reminds me of one of those pointy bras Madonna wore during her "Vogue"ing era.

As I remember, a lot of Mormons were under the impression everybody admired their beautiful temples, but that's not the feedback I hear. The graffito over the beltway that announces the Washington, DC temple gives lie to that particular Mormon delusion, but they just think they're persecuted because they have the truth.

Hope your visit to our lovely state was a pleasant one, Scooter. It's been so chilly lately, the ferrets have had to don their little doggy-sweaters.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:20AM

Some of the older Mormon temples were impressive. They were also built in order to look like really old churches. However, at some point Mormons decided that instead of following traditional architectural patterns, they would instead see who could design a temple to look the most like Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

It was about the same time they decided instead of taste, they would focus on making temples appear as painfully white as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 02:23AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:44AM

there's this great scene in "True Stories" David Byrne is driving around some god-forsaken park of North Central Texas Plains, like Plano, looking at all this tract housing and asks "who can say this is not beautiful."

I imagine kolobians share that same proud feeling. Well, since you asked, it's an abomination before the sight of God. Why would you possibly think this would make your cult look better?

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:49AM

I love the Surrender Dorothy. It's a huge sign screaming "pay attention to the man behind the curtain". I find it highly appropriate considering the context. It makes me laugh, and then shudder.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:55AM

We now have a Surrender Dorothy along our freeway. The ugly mess will serve a purpose, though. If you ever get turned around and find yourself lost, the thing will help you get your bearings and know where the freeway is.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 12:36PM

Dang ! I think we've created a new meme. Mormon temples are now Surrender Dorothys. *LOL*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.