Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:43AM

I was going to sign up for an institute class at my college. Two TBM acquaintances of mine asked me to come, it's free, and I have like 3 1/2 hours between my regular classes those days so there's a huge boring gap with nothing to do, so I thought "What the hey? Great chance to learn more about how this aspect of the culture operates."

Problem is to register I have to have an account on lds.org. I could register either as a member of the church (but I don't know my membership number) or as a "friend", but the problem is I don't know if there are any consequences to giving information out to the church like that.

I wanted to know whether there are any reasons having an account on lds.org would be inadvisable or a bad idea.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 06:50AM by doubtisavirtue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 08:49AM

There are always consequences to giving the church information about you. You will be putting yourself on the church's radar.

Why not use those three and a half hours as your study time? Use it to read your textbooks, review your notes, and research and write papers.

You could also use the time to work with a student organization, get a meal, or learn something useful. For instance, you could use the college library to teach yourself about mutual funds, stocks, and investing. This is knowledge that you would use for your entire life.

Or just go home. How far do you live from school, anyway?

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:00AM

I agree with summer's advice. Why waste your time? You're already fretting about having to register on lds.org., and there are so many better things that you could be doing rather than sitting in a room with a bunch of brainwashed people.

Life is too short for that BS.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:29AM

Or, don't register, just show up. Don't give your real name if you don't want to.

Posted by: sixoclock ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:12AM

Seriously, there are a million other things to be enjoyed in that time span then sitting in a cult class. I wouldn't waste my breath on going.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:49PM

Find a youth group to help, coach basketball, soccer, softball. Any of the above post are good.Hell, Xbox/Playstation can kill 3 hrs quick and will have fun doing it. Anything but but what you are thinking of doing. If you sign up on their site, they will come..... TO YOUR HOUSE!

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 04:46PM

See, yes, that was the kind of thing I was worried about. Suddenly being on their radar and worrying about people showing up at my door for reactivation efforts.

The class is less than an hour, actually, so I'd still have several hours of study time.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 04:54PM

Could you register for an lds.org account with fake contact info? I've done that registering for other things before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.