Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:43AM

Sometimes I feel like Winston in 1984. Everything I have been taught to believe has changed, and when I talk to my TBM family I seem to be the only one who remembers.

I am also cognizant of what the Church has programmed members to believe (including myself at one time)--it differs, in some cases, from explicit doctrine/principles (take, for instance, the implicit ineffability of the prophet and his colleagues). I am the one who is castigated for developing inappropriate perceptions...

Who is to blame for perceptions? The perceiver, or the one or organization who has systematic control over available information? I blame the Church for my "inappropriate" perceptions etc. (and not individual members who may not have taught doctrine correctly, my own misapprehension, etc.)--I came by my understanding of Church doctrine and principles over two decades in the Church including regular Sabbath meetings, seminary, Church school courses, and missionary service. If I misapprehended majors points than it wasn't my fault, because errant messages were consistently repeated by a range of authoritative and non-authoritative sources.

This all speaks to the Mercurial Gospel of the LDS (and probably others)--it changes to suit the times and seasons as needed (despite being portrayed as a perfectly restored and unchangeable suite of Truth). Sometimes I feel like it drives me to the edges of sanity to speak about it with TBM family, who simply don't get it.

I am not nuts, right?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kori ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:18AM

citizen, I have felt like that so often, I cant even begin to tell you. I feel like I am truman on the truman show. These are some recent truman moments for me in the past 6 months:

1) Gays can feel attraction and desire for another of the same sex, but it is not a sin as long as they don't act on it...
2) The church never taught racism...
3) Polygamy was never a doctrine, it was a practice long ago that very, very few men practiced to take care of women, but it was never sexual.
4)We don't know where gender roles and identity begin, all we know is that jesus loves.
5)The church was never behind prop 8, it was members

My family and other TBM'ers act like no big deal. My mind is racing with the implications of all these changes, the lives that were mislead and destroyed, the misery they have cause and the blatant proof that it is all a lie...and they act like, yup, the church is infallible and never changes, its true.

I think that the members that remain do not know the doctrine, are too lazy, are hypocrites, or are social mormons. I could not conceive of a thinking, reasonably smart person remaining.

But then I saw a 9 part series on the holocaust and nazi's ability to follow orders despite the clear evidence that they were evil... and then it made sense.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:32AM

Kori - number 1 on your list is a biggie since we're currently going through this right now. It's amazing to see the change and cover up. Out stake leadership is now sending around information promoting the new church & gays website and categorically stating that being gay isn't a choice.

This is all so far removed from what was previously taught. On the surface it seems to pacify a growing number of members who are more tolerant than their predecessors, but when you think about it more, TSCC is still condemning gay members to a lifetime of total celibacy that stretches beyond sexual intimacy to even the most basic elements of loving expression, such as a kiss.

Shame on them.

Posted by: kori ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:45AM

Sherlock,

This is so far removed from what was taught 18 MONTHS AGO! Therefore I must assume that it was a revelation, since it is not a clarification but a full 180 degree turn in "Everlasting, unchanging" doctrine.

The church has walked into a wall on this, in an effort to please everyone, they have said things that do not jive with doctrine, reason, compassion, science, mormon culture...they are trying to remain in the middle while playing the ignorant card "we don't know nuthin mistah, except that jesus loves everyone" its sick, cowardly and will, again, to be on the wrong side of history.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.