Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:08PM

Have been through a lot of stress and challenges with raising children without support from the TBM extended family. They were very supportive until we stopped going to church, and since then, we went through some terrible challenges - loss of employment, serious illness, etc.

Now the tables have turned. Through it all, have finally gotten a good job! My TBM family are struggling with loss of employment. Because they out number me (10 to 1), they are all clamoring to help each other. I guess they will soon be in a bit of denial that I, an exmo, can do well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:15PM

Sorry about your TBM family not being there for you. Unfortunately, this is a common problem. Take care.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 01:21PM

Best wishes "Flyer"! You are taking your power back and control of your life and living it the way you choose.
You'll find support.
If family is not supportive, you'll find it elsewhere!
Stay strong!

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 05:49PM

I don't suppose it ever ocurred to them to help you out when you were in need because, since they are self-avowed Christians, it would be what Jesus would have called them to do?

Nah.

Date: January 27, 2013 06:02PM

There was one very lame offer from one of them, in the sense that it was intended as a fellowshipping attempt to see if we'd respond by going back to church- but as they saw we were not interested in returning to church, the offer dried up.

But all the rest were pretty much "Too bad, that's what happens when you leave mormonism!" Nice people

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:21PM

I'm sorry Flyer. A church that says it is about family and uses "Jesus Christ" in its name should have taught its members to follow his teachings, to love and care for those who need help without regard for what will be given back (i.e. allegiance) in return.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:25PM

It's funny I was told that's what the devil did. Turns out that's what Mormon families do to humble you.

Date: January 27, 2013 09:46PM

It's exciting to have good things happening finally!

Hopefully the trend will continue. One positive through all of this is I have become a hell of a lot stronger than I was while TBM. I know my own mind and heart better, what I do and don't like, and am more assertive and self confident.

I had to learn how to set boundaries with TBM family which was very difficult. I was very used to having them walk all over me

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:29PM

Good for you, Flyer.

You owe no one and can know you managed to get through the hardships on your own.

Be proud of yourself. Like you said, it makes you stronger.

I didn't know the power I had until I stopped thinking the church was supposed to be my safety net. It really does make you stronger and more independent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.