Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:27PM

I saw a "get your flu shot here" sign and decided to get one (thanks RfM).

I filled in the necessary paperwork and waited for the shot.

The pharmacist arrives with a plastic tray with a needle, etc. Here is the conversation:

Him: Which arm will you like your shot in?

Me: How about the left arm.

Him: Okay. Let me kneel down, and we can pray about this together.

I returned a blank look.

Him: Um... let me tell you about how this flu shot works.

I received the spiel concerning the flu shot, and then received the shot. I told him thank you.

Him: You're welcome. And may God bless you.

I returned an audible grump sigh and left the pharmacy.

I was caught so off guard. I had absolutely no clue that a flu shot would be turned into a spiritual experience. Sigh!

Is this a "normal" experience? I think it is odd.

Him:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lily not logged in ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:40PM

Holy shit are you serious?

Date: January 27, 2013 06:51PM

Serious as I can be. wth?

Posted by: nevermoaz ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 06:55PM

Just for that, I'd have asked him where the condoms were. Cuz if he's gonna pray over a flu shot, it would be worth it to see his expression and prayers over protected sex lol

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 05:21AM

Or better yet, ask him where the Plan B (morning after pill) is located, and if they come in a large economy pack. :)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 08:23PM

So sorry!

I got my flu shot and tetanus/pertussis/whateverits boosters on Friday. They included no prayer but a little pain and some whining.

Did I mention one of my arms is still sore?

Date: January 27, 2013 08:58PM

but for other reasons.

I got one shot in each arm, so maybe it's the tetanus & friends one that's sore.

I get the flu shot each year. The Navy made me, and now I do it as a routine thing. It doesn't usually hurt, although I prefer shots in my arse to those in my arm.

Date: January 27, 2013 09:04PM

Date: January 27, 2013 09:12PM

Date: January 27, 2013 10:36PM

Anon4This: neee-nerrrr. Wait -- were you both kneeling?

Date: January 28, 2013 05:09AM

He told me that because he gives shots very carefully and gently, that people refer to him as "Dr. Gentle." Dr. Gentle told me that his wife had left for a three-month vacation in another state which is why he came into work that day. If they pray together, maybe he misses her kneeling prayers beside his and thought he would try it out on a customer.

I got it! He thought I appeared to be a person whom needed religion in her life. I can't even imagine praying in the seated waiting area with a pharmacist. Gawd! Spare us all.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 08:25PM

Was this the moridore? WOW!! I would have asked which god he wanted to pray too.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 08:51PM

Are you sure you are not going to end up on some gag bit on TV? That would be my assumption.

Date: January 27, 2013 09:06PM

Date: January 27, 2013 09:13PM

"But may I first pull out my smartphone to document this solemn occasion?"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:31PM

Anon4This, where did this happen (state)?

I’m in Alabama.

A co-worker (who I've decided is a hypochondriac) was telling me about her fabulous new doctor who is going to run every test possible to find out what is wrong with her. Then she said she KNEW he was a great doctor because he knelt down and prayed with her that God would help him help her.

Sheesh! I would have decided he was a quack and left.

OTOH, if the doctor knows a person is mentally invested in God, maybe involving their mental health helps with the person feeling healed.

It's a way of putting the blame on God if she doesn't get better or the credit to God if she does (but the payment goes to the doctor). Just maybe the doctor is smart like a fox but I doubt it. He's probably a sincere believer himself.

What bothers me is if the pharmacist or doctor are invoking God and prayer to help them do their jobs . Do they really think a higher power is making decisions for them? Yikes.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 05:06AM

My doctor has no clue one way or the other as to whether or not I have religious leanings. As I see it, it isn't any of his business. If he ever pulled that kind of prayer thing with me (which isn't likely; he is much too professional for that) I would find another doctor - pronto.

Date: January 28, 2013 05:19AM

pharmacist. Since we didn't pray, I am not sure whether the prayer was for the administration of the shot, for the vaccine to protect me against the flu, or what exactly.

It was presumptuous that I was going to participate.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 09:07AM

Contact your state's pharmacist or professional/medical licensing board. Let them in on your RPh's little theatrical production. They may have the right to do it but it doesn't hurt to let others know what they're up to. They may or may not be violating the professional or ethical standards of their profession by doing this without the prompting or invitation of a patient or client in their care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.