Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:31PM

I was at a birthday party this afternoon with non mormons. The subject turned to religion and how judgmental religious people tend to be. A man related this incident that happened to his daughter 4 years ago in Caldwell, Idaho.

His no-mo daughter was asked by a mormon (high school)classmate if she would accompany her on the cello at sacrament meeting. The no-mo girl showed up with her cello wearing nice slacks and WAS SENT HOME TO CHANGE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:40PM

Thats actually rather surprising to me. Usually, Mormons are overjoyed to have managed to get a no-mo to attend anything at their church. They normally ladle on so much "fellowshipping," the no-mo has trouble breathing (thats one of the signs of the Spirit, btw!)

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:46PM

Yea, I agree. That never would have happened in my old ward. I'm positive it was a true story though.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:48PM

Most wards wouldn't send you home, but you might get some looks or even be taken aside and told that next time you should wear a dress.

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:01PM

If I was the classmate I'd tell the person who wanted me to go change into a dress, "NO! Have the person in charge tell me to go home and change." If the person in authority did so then I'd vacate the premises and not return.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:18PM

Played a hoity-toity country club last summer. Guest singer came up and did a number. He was then ushered off stage and out the door for wearing jeans, instead of slacks...

I would rather play a dive bar than a wealthy country club any day of the week.

Cuckin Fult

Posted by: srena not logged in ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 10:37PM

Since one has to play a cello with it between one's knees, necessitating said skirt being hiked well up the thighs, the audience would have gotten an eyefull!

I was invited to sing at a Mormon ward meeting, whilst being informed that I'd have to wear a dress, no trousers allowed. I generally always, by my own choice, wore skirts to any church I performed at, but to be TOLD that, ie "this is what you have to wear"... I politely declined.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:20PM

But I see what you mean. Cellist must have been wearing a long, full skirt.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:33PM

"The no-mo girl showed up with her cello wearing nice slacks and WAS SENT HOME TO CHANGE"

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:35PM

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 11:25AM

This reminded me of a jerk-off bishop who had a thing for the letter of the law. My sister and her husband got up to sing prelude in sm and they had a guitar that bil was picking. THe bishop actually got up and told them they couldn't use the guitar. (This bishop was a jerk on every level, not just because of this one incident)

THen awhile back like 18 years ago, I was in the yw at the time and a girl brought her friend to sing in sm. SHe sang Day by Day from GODSPELL. It was awesome and the bishop just let it go. I hated that bish too but had a lot more respect for him after that.

BUt, a cellist! THat is the biggest joke ever! So he's rather catch a peek huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 11:26AM by luvcake.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 12:50PM

She should have come back in a dress and laid a Brittney Spears on the congregation. Idiots.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2013 12:53PM

As a musician that has played in many venues, I always made sure I knew what the dress standards were for every gig. I can't imagine a musician (professional?) improperly dressed to perform in a particular venue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.