Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:16PM

I find it rather humorous that someone comes on this board and says free speech should be protected but spouts hate rhetoric about a group of people who's expression is limited. As if this person didn't have anything better to do than make a fool of themselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:17PM

When you start compromising rights in the interest of "hurt and help" ... whatever that means... rights go out the window and MORE hurt happens.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:22PM

"This thread is about HURT and HELP, not rights."

MJ couldn't be more clear...

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:24PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort

"A tort, in common law jurisdictions, is a civil wrong.[1] Tort law deals with situations where a person's behaviour has unfairly caused someone else to suffer loss or harm."

Or rights are limited because of harm all the time. Laws against assault, rape, slander (limiting speech because of the harm it does), etc..

Date: January 29, 2013 07:31PM

So we can talk about right...okay.

On the other thread MJ wrote: "Financing the taking of other people's rights isn't right either."

Just out of curiosity, MJ, nothing more, do you believe it 'not right' to finance those who wish to curtain an American's 2nd Amendment rights?

Date: January 29, 2013 07:35PM

I would be opposed to the lies of EITHER side in the second amendment battle.

Date: January 29, 2013 07:48PM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would be opposed to the lies of EITHER side in
> the second amendment battle.

So that I understand, then, you are opposed to the financing of *lies* but not necessarily to the financing of curtailing one's rights per se?

Date: January 29, 2013 07:50PM

I am also not crazy about the idea that money equals speech. I go by the idea of one person, one vote, one voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 07:54PM by MJ.

Date: January 29, 2013 09:34PM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am also not crazy about the idea that money
> equals speech.

I use to argue about this ad nauseam during the '90s. Money does not equal speech, certainly. What money does equal is how loud speech can be. One guy has only his voice while the other guy has money to buy a megaphone. Each has their speech, equally, but one was able to buy more volume. Money equals volume.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:24PM

I'm not sure what your talking about. I have the right to peaceably assemble, but as soon as I hurt someone that right is justly taken away, even if all I want to do in the future is to peaceably assemble.

Our society right now applies the Harm Principle, they do so inequitably but none the less it is one of the guiding principles of our legal system. Harm is a perfectly justifiable reason for restricting rights.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:32PM

I'll think about being impressed and maybe buying one of their sandwiches when they start donating to gay rights groups. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen, though.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:32PM

Totally off topic. But interesting.

Mormonism caveat emptor with a pinch of non sequitur.

Posted by: onceuponatime ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:40PM

I can. It's beautiful.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 09:13PM

The first one is unoriginal with the signs, and I don't like the music. Perfect message, though, about being treated as people. Lots of folks don't get that.

And they don't try to help their kids get it, and many even support their kids in being bigots and bullies, which is why Jadin Bell and so many others have killed themselves and why the second video is important. But the newscasters are either afraid or not allowed to say it, for fear of offending Joe and Jane Average Viewer. Some difficult conversation.

This is why I don't have TV anymore, because it caters to the stupid people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 09:31PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:39PM

Because we won't have anymore stories like the one you linked.

But, we aren't there yet. So, it's nice to have videos to remind people that sexual orientation shouldn't be considered to be a big deal.

Just another aspect of humanity that makes us all interesting in our diversity.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:54PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 07:46PM

I'm disappointed. I couldn't find anything about what's whose favorite cheap chicken sandwich maker in the other thread. May start my own.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 08:07PM

All bullies need is an excuse. Gay? Yep. That'll do. Fat? Fine! They'll be on you! Woman? Handy target! Disabled? You are next!

The bully mentally is alien and it is wrong.

Vulnerable people -and many young gays are vulnerable- do need to be protected from hate crimes.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 08:10PM

You're right. Vulnerable people do need to be protected. I was just trying to lighten the mood.

Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 08:05PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.