Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 12:34PM

American gothic himself councils members to "trust" not think when it comes to personal finances and then tells a personal account of his struggle to pay his mortgage in full. He trusted in the Lord and sold some "property" he'd been sitting on for years.

The message: Do as your told and magic ponies will help you pay for your mortgage, it worked for me! Never mind that my net worth was always greater than my liabilities. Or in other words, I was never actually poor."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 01:16PM

Eyrings talk should have been "How to pay your tithing by selling your sh*t on Ebay."

And how many members are thinking, "Dang, if only my parents hadn't been conned into signing over their house to the church I might have had a piece of property just lying around that I could sell so I could make my mortgage payment and pay my tithing! So that when I am close to death I can sign over that house to the church as well!"

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:01PM

Doesn't that sound a little like:

"LET THEM EAT CAKE"

Posted by: Mo larkey ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 01:21PM

Eyrings were not that poor to have property they almost forgot about in SF.
Ever wonder why faith promoting stories like that get better each time they are told?
I liken it to my dad who tells stories 50 years later that he embellishes them more and more each time as to making us think its true.
In reality it's that acceptable lie that Mormonism gives a pass to.
Eyring should have given a different talk about inheritance and how his family held on to that property in tough times in SF and he was the one who bailed and sold off that family asset to pay his mortgage cause he got "that feeling"
What I got out of the story.. it's always easier to sell and asset than earn more to keep it and pass it down!

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:42AM

I heard it and my ears still burn.
My parents were asked recently to give some of their property to the tscc. Fortunately they have not but now that the seed was planted I need to dig it out and stomp the krap out of it.
So where can I find it.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:23PM

eyebrow over it.

The best way to pay a mortgage off is don't pay 10% to the cult and you'll soon pay the mortgage off. It's so obvious really.

He wasn't poor to start with if he had an additional asset (house) that belonged to him.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 05:44PM

Is this the same moron who claimed that minorities didn't fight hard in the war in heaven?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 05:47PM

What a Donkey's %$£& that man is!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 06:58PM

I thought I read his wife came from Palo Alto, CA $$ but could not find it. I forgot SWK was Eyring's uncle and his mother was a Bennion.

Sounds as though he was being groomed for this job early on.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:22PM

SWK was his uncle by marriage. Mrs Spencer Kimball was Camilla Eyring, aunt of the current Henry Eyring and sister of the scientist Dr. Henry Eyring (which explains why the modern day Henry was born in Princeton, NJ). Camilla and Dr Henry's parents were polygamists: their father had two wives, and both the father and two wives survived into the 1950s. They served as temple workers at the Mesa Temple and were allowed to cohabitate. The Manifesto had no provision for already-married plural families, so in most cases they just continued with status quo. The fact that the Eyring trio were temple workers shows that their polygamous status was no hindrance to serving as temple worker or other "high callings".

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:34PM

I knew about Eyring's wife. She came from big bucks. Her parents owned an entire hill in Los Altos, and built a replica of Marie Antoinette's summer home on top. I wonder if they'll sell off that little piece of property--worth millions!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 08:37PM by forestpal.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:17PM

Reminds me of the post someone did awhile back about the stake president selection process. According to the poster, John Huntsman told him he hired someone to take care of the yard back when he was "poor."

Now if Eyring had liquidated his fillings like those poor Brazilians they scammed to build a temple that would be something.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:01PM

I used to give them 10% of my paper route and birthday money. At the same time my father was giving them 10% of his income while we were eating that nasty canned turkey, which we canned, from the church workshop. If he wants to tell me about weeding the vegetable garden with his 4 year old little brother and sister so he could have something to eat with his ramen noodles then I'll listen. I wonder why my dad didn't just sell his rental property in St. George? We could have used that to buy groceries. What an ass.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 11:09AM

Eyring's wife's maiden name is Kathleen Johnson and she was raised in Palo Alto. Lots of old time cult members know 'hal' in the SF bay area.

He's a piece of work, a highly skilled and well practiced bullshitter. His talk points that out very well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.