Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Truthful ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:11AM

I just learned that the new handbook is eliminating primary activity days. They only happened a couple times a year, but my children looked forward to them.

Just another step to save money? Already the members are janitors. Budgets have been cut, especially scouting. Tithing is being preached more often, and is at the top of every "To Be A Good Mormon" list. More money to SLC.

This whole take the fun out of the church is getting downright bad. Can't the leadership see that they will lose members. During my 40 year lifetime, the church has become a lot less fun, more controlled, and controlling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:24AM

But, the most heavily invested TBM will rationalize this change along with any other as coming from inspired leaders so it must mean something beyond everyday rationality. Like with the multi-billion $ city creek center, a TBM acquaintance says it is to separate the wheat from the tares among members. I'm still trying to figure out if he said this tongue in cheek, but knowing his rabid obssession with TSCC I doubt it.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:32AM

Church used to be fun sometimes. People get bored with all the repetition, and sick of being criticized and judged by not paying enough tithing and not going to the temple often enough.

"Love" is never mentioned. I guess it is unimportant to the leaders that the members feel uplifted and hopeful, and that the members feel a part of things, as individuals, like they have a say in things. It is so undemocratic! What are the leaders thinking?

Humility and obedience are stressed as virtues. So are suffering and "enduring to the end." Do they think happiness and pleasure are wicked, or something?

At least, they'll never give up their youth camps, because they want to keep their land for that use, and a tax exemption. The higher-ups will still have their hunting trips to the Mormon "preserves." That will be the only fun allowed.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:34AM

when you have to ask the three-year olds to "tighten their [tiny] belts!" (That invokes quite a heart-wrenching image, doesn't it?)

I guess they're just teaching the kiddies that life is TOUGH and definitely NOT fun! Maybe this step by the church will drive some of the little tykes into early apostasy--the younger they are when they see the light, the better! ; )

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:18AM

They don't need more money. They built a 3 million mall for heaven's sake(or it is in the process, I don't care.)! GREEDY GREEDY! UGH! And in this house of TBMs. I HAVE to pay to this devouring monster cuz geuss what? Tithe settlement meetings are with the whole family around. *sigh*

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:04AM

And since you're young, if you take the money that you would have tithed and invest it instead, you'll have plenty of money with which to buy a home one day, or to retire rich.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:01PM

As a form of revenge you could jack every thermostat you pass in a church building up to its max whenever you happen to pass by.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:05PM

This is a good thing. You kill church activities and Mormon culture will start to suffocate.

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:03AM

A few years back scriptures suddenly became very expensive,around £50 for a cheaper set,I was told we could afford this price and the reason for the increase was so that new converts in developing countries could get them at the cheaper rate,this was probably untrue,just another ruse for more money methinks.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 09:37AM

Duh.

Already my young child asks why his/her friends (who go to a christian mega church) have much more fun activities and things to do than our church.

The Billionaire mall is so much more important, isn't it?

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 09:48AM

I put together a camping trip for some guys one weekend. I was told by someone in the bishopric that I could not do that because you had to have to men going and it had to be approved by the church. This was the starting of my rebel stage because I told him on the spot. "I own a camper and I'm inviting the guys and the church isn't involved" Quite a few boys showed up - but not his.

Looking back, I see how everything we did, whether it was our own function or not, we would seek the church's approval first. What a brainwash.

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 10:07AM

This reminds me so much of the last corporation I worked for. The past couple of years, things were getting tight. No more Christmas parties, no more gift cards for a job well done, more and more work for each person because they didn't want to hire anybody. Every week, they would cut something (or someone). Every day at work became bleaker and bleaker. No one wanted to go to work anymore, and people bickered with each other more often. In August, the company was sold and they shut my place down. They're still not doing well from what I understand. Corporations that don't know how to treat people or manage their money and marketing never do well. LD$ is no exception.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:20PM

Depressing and disheartening, but it'll only drive more people away, as previously stated. My youngest is 10, still primary age. Every once in a while there's still something fun for the kiddos, but it keeps getting more and more anemic. Bleeding the membership dry of finances and fun. SO glad not a single penny of mine is going into cult coffers ever again!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:31PM

HALLELUJAH! Why are you people disappointed? Do you WANT your children having happy memories of campouts that they associate with Mormonism? (Even though they were actually a respite from Mormonism?)

Also, many people join the church because of the "programs" and find out when it's too late that the programs aren't worth the price--not just the financial impact, but your children growing up brainwashed and unable to think for themselves.

A horrific price for a few roadshows and campouts. Send them to the protestant church activities (not Evangelicals). They won't stalk you to join and they are kind to the kids. They also screen everyone and actually bar people who are sex offenders from entering certain areas of the building where children are away from parents.

Anagrammy

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:55PM

We were the activities chairmen and what can you do with a $20 budget? The activities were lame and we usually dipped into our own pocket to spice em up. We were supposed to bring non-member friends to these things, but they were so embarassingly stupid that no one brought anyone.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:52PM

have some REAL activities that are fun, that teach them real life skills, recognize their acheivements, and get an tiny dose of feminism (because they are encouraged to learn skills that are sometimes reserved for the boys . . . like math, science, camping, etc).

When my girls were in girl scouts, the LDS girls tended to drop out once they got to Activity Days age (wasn't that about 10 years old?) I thought being in the GS was almost looked at as subversive. And even in Utah, a minority of the girls who go to summer camp are LDS.

My oldest has gone to camp almost every year since 2nd grade and loves it.

Down with activity days! Up with girl scouts!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:55PM

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 06:26PM

I'm a big supporter of the Girl Scouts. I worked at a Girl Scout summer camp that offered (beyond the usual arts & crafts, etc.,) swimming lessons, rowing, canoeing, fishing, hiking, cookouts, and sailing. The younger girls sailed small boats on our campside lake. The teen girls learned how to sail larger ocean-going boats, and they became quite skilled at it. They were among the most confident young women I've ever seen.

My own girl scout troop had access to a regional Girl Scout campground with heated cabins. Quie luxurious (and fun!) My closest friends came from Girl Scouting, and we were a very wholesome bunch.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:43PM

I'm just glad it's becoming more and more obvious to the unbrainwashed eye that the church does not add real value to people's lives--it only usurps it from them.

For years, though, the emphasis has been on activities' attendance, attendance, attendance...it is all about getting butts to show up and git in them seats. The quality has been low and "going through the motions" in the wards I've been in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.