Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 11:58AM

OK, to add to my mysterious drama (which I am not naming or saying, so speculate to your heart's content), my DD totalled my van. Yep. I have no transportation and I am stuck in SAHM hell until it is fixed in about a week. Our insurance doesn't cover a rental so we are waiting until next week when we *really* need it to get the car.

Now, however, I have run out of **DIET COKE** (do you hear me RS Prez and Utard TBM in-laws?). See, cuz everybody knows I left "The Church" because of my sins with Diet Coke. So. I tried to ride my son's new Christmas bike to the store (no snow in FL) but my freakin' legs were too short to do it!!

No Diet Coke for meeee!! (In the Seinfeld Soup Nazi voice).

I need caffeine.

I want to make coffee with DH's new Christmas coffee-maker . . . but I have absolutely no clue how to do it (Thank you very much Mormon church for making me a complete social misfit!). What are the proportions of water to coffee scoops? (Assuming of course I can locate the damn buttons to turn the thing on).

Sheesh.

Shannon ;o)

P.S. Hang with me everybody for a few days. My life has just fallen apart and I've got STUFF to say! As always, it will be live entertainment coming to you on *your* PC. ;o)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:01PM

French, Italian, or Spanish, not because you ARE American!

One scoop per cup.

Or buy a French Press.

Good luck!

:-)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:03PM

Here's how I do it with my Mr. Coffee. I hope this helps, Shannon:

Fill your pot with water approximating the amount of coffee you want. Pour that in the top where it goes and put the pot down on the burner underneath the drip.

Put a filter into the drip.

Put one rounded teaspoon of coffee in the filter for each cup of water.

Close it all up and turn it on.

Viola! :) Good luck, Shannon. After awhile, you'll learn to adjust the amount of coffee you put in according to your taste.

Don't worry about asking. I came here and asked how to make instant coffee my first time. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 12:18PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:19PM

What Mak said, and honest, it ain't rocket science and the measurements aren't that critical...

Date: January 12, 2011 12:21PM

I lost the measure a long time ago. :)

Posted by: Smokey ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:22PM

Did you mean TABLESPOON? Teaspoon seems unusual.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:08PM

It comes out a bit strong this way but that's perfect because I mix it with 1/3 hot milk.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:34PM

SweetZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It comes out a bit strong this way but that's
> perfect because I mix it with 1/3 hot milk.

Sounds perfect to me! :o))

Date: January 12, 2011 12:29PM

We're both in Florida - it could happen!!

J/K ;o)

Luv you Mak,
Shannon

Date: January 12, 2011 12:42PM

As for marrying, if you think your in-laws are bad now... ;)

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:12PM

Just another tricky day for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHT8v9bw4Nk

So now you know how to make coffee. I'd say you're doin' just fine despite it all!

Timothy

Date: January 12, 2011 12:46PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:22PM

The first coffee I made for my husband was WAY too strong.

As a general rule of thumb, I would say 1-2 tbsp per 6 ounces of water.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:46PM

I don't like my coffee super strong so I use 1 tbs per 2 cups of water. So if I am making a whole pot it's 12 cups and 6 heaping tbs of coffee.

1 tbs per cup is way way too strong for my taste and I have been drinking coffee since 2000.

Good luck!

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:51PM

My son has a coffee machine and I've never used it. I can't drink coffee, though. It doesn't "agree" with my body. Chocolate does, though :o

And as always, your RfM friends are here for you :)

TG

Date: January 12, 2011 12:57PM

My first cup is brewing according to Mak's instructions (so if it tastes like crap, it's *his* fault!)

I'll be OK. But I'm seriously going to need this board to work it all through.

Happy New Year, sweetie. Hope everything is good with you.

Love,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:01PM

It's fast and thorough.

As for hanging with you, I'm right beside you all the way. Tits up, girlfriend!

Date: January 12, 2011 01:04PM

Date: January 12, 2011 01:10PM

I poured out 1/2 cup and things were still gurgling and so I think I did it too soon. So I put it all back and I'm hoping for the best.

Gah! I'm such an idiot!

Shannon ;o)

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:22PM

You can pour a cup while it is still dripping, it ain't gonna kill ya! :)

Date: January 12, 2011 01:19PM

The coffeemaker only gave me 1/2 a cup, but it was good! I have to work on portions but I think I've got the thang down!

Much thanks and love etc.

Shannon ;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 01:20PM by shannon.

Date: January 12, 2011 01:29PM

You'll have it just the way you like it before long with practice. The first time I made coffee, it tasted like hot water with a brown crayon dipped in it.

Date: January 12, 2011 01:32PM

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:46PM

You probably only got 1/2 a cup because the coffee grind will soak up some of the water and retain it after brewing is done. Usually with the brewing pots it is wise to use no less than 3 cups of water at a time that way you will end up with between 1.5 and 2 cups of actuall coffee when you're done. I personally make about 8 cups for myself (enough to fill a thermos) and I am set for the day.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:45PM

Welcome to the world of cafe! Be sure to doctor it up at first, with hot milk, sweetener, vanilla, or almond, cinnamon, pumpkin spices, chocolate, cream, or ice it and put whipped cream on top. REAL coffee lovers drink it black, but I think you need to start the habit earlier in life to take it that way. My RS pres mom used to drink hers black. She ground the beans fresh, and used a small old-fashioned stove-top percolator, that she could quickly hide. Aaaaah, the smell of coffee reminds me of my TBM home....

Shannon--you are far more than just "entertainment" for us--we care! We hope you get through this OK, like you always do. (((hugs)))

Date: January 12, 2011 01:48PM

forestpal Wrote:
> My RS pres mom used to drink hers black.

> Aaaaah, the smell of coffee reminds me of my TBM home....

LOL! My TBM grandparents were also morning coffee people. My grandmother drank it for her heart problems, because she couldn't start the day without giving her heart a kickstart, dontcha know. And grandpa... well I don't know why grandpa drank coffee, but he was a helluva guy!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:34PM

Makurosu Wrote:
> forestpal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My RS pres mom used to drink hers black.
>
> > Aaaaah, the smell of coffee reminds me of my TBM
> home....
>
> LOL! My TBM grandparents were also morning coffee
> people. My grandmother drank it for her heart
> problems, because she couldn't start the day
> without giving her heart a kickstart, dontcha
> know. And grandpa... well I don't know why
> grandpa drank coffee, but he was a helluva guy!

My TBM mom and her entire family drank coffee. That included her ward clerk father and br brother who was a counselor in the bishopric. My best friend's family all drank it to including her dad who was in the bishopric and her grandfather who was in the stake presidency. Coffee never asa big deal for me.When I was TBM, I didn't drink it but never saw it as a sin either

Date: January 12, 2011 01:51PM

We have more in common than you know.

I am in a mess and you are the first person I would love to correspond with. You can email me at shannonjax59@aol.com.

Thanks,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:47PM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:47PM

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:11PM

LOL, I think I will bookmark this post so I can come back and read it in about 6 months when I'm ready to try making my own...
I did have a cappucino-flavored chocolate last week. WOW!!! And guess what - no lightning strike. What else have I been missing???

Date: January 12, 2011 03:20PM

Your coffee maker should have instructions. If you have lost them, try googling the brand and model number and see if you can download them.I did that with a VCR, DVD combo that copies VHS to DVD. I used it once, lost the manuel and forgot how to do it. Fortunatley it ws online. I know how to make coffee, but just got a new coffee maker and had to read up on how to use it.I don't think I am the only one who has had a problem with a different sort of coffee machine You could also ask a neighbor. Pretend that you just arent sure about this coffee make because you always used a percolator or whatever.

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:29PM

The "standard" for coffee is a 1:18 ratio by weight (or 11 g of coffee per 200 g water, or about 1/3 oz coffee per 6 oz water). If you have a kitchen scale that displays in grams, use it to get a good idea of this, and then adjust for taste. And yes, you can weigh your water in grams instead of by volume.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:33PM

I don't know how to make it either. Every time my boyfriend comes to visit, I have to have him give me instructions again--and I have 3 coffee makers . . .

I actually gave up Diet Coke back the 1st of August and haven't had a drink since. I drink caffeine-laced crystal light. I'm surprised I don't crave it anymore, but reading your post made me crave it for a slight second. I drank diet coke for 24 years.

Sorry about your van! Don't you love new drivers? My kids aren't allowed to touch my new car (a year old now)--they can keep wrecking the old ones.

Date: January 12, 2011 09:07PM

cl2 Wrote:
> I don't know how to make it either. Every time my
> boyfriend comes to visit, I have to have him give
> me instructions again--and I have 3 coffee makers
> . . .
>
> I actually gave up Diet Coke back the 1st of
> August and haven't had a drink since. I drink
> caffeine-laced crystal light. I'm surprised I
> don't crave it anymore, but reading your post made
> me crave it for a slight second. I drank diet coke
> for 24 years.
>
> Sorry about your van! Don't you love new drivers?
> My kids aren't allowed to touch my new car (a year
> old now)--they can keep wrecking the old ones.

My sympathies on your van. I am without a car at the momment too-expensive engine problems. No fun.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:41PM

Put a fresh filter into the filter holder. Fill a large measuring cup, (or other cup) with water and fill it to however many cups of coffee you want, but just a teensy bit over (some of the water will evaporate when the coffee is brewed.) For just myself, I usually make four cups (which is really two mugs-worth.) Put one rounded teaspoon (just a regular teaspoon) of coffee in the filter plus one extra (so for four cups of coffee, put five rounded teaspoons in the filter.) Fit everything together, press "start," and you're good to go.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:45PM

...(if you've run out of coffe filters,) you can use a folded paper towel. Fold a paper towel square into quarters (fold in half, and then in half again,) open one quarter up, and use as a filter. This is not desirable as a regular practice, because paper towels are too flimsy to be ideal. But it will do in a pinch.

You can also keep a permanent "gold"-type filter around for emergencies. I find them to be too much of a pain-in-the-butt to clean to use every day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.