Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: February 11, 2013 01:11AM

As some of you may know, I am totally blind, hence my monicker. Below is a link to a press release about a lawsuit (you will need Adobe to read it) filed on behalf of blind employees of the Mormon-owned Marriott hotel chain against their employer. Sadly, while many businesses behave in the way that Marriott is alleged to have in this suit, the fact that Marriott is owned by a Mormon whose religion says that he is supposed to be more righteous than members of other religions should have meant that his business would do everything it could to promote its qualified blind and visually impaired employees and make sure that the computer software it purchased worked with the screen-reading software that the blind employees use, right? Wrong! Read below to find out more.

http://www.las-elc.org/docs/media/Faraj_Marriott_Press_Release.2013.02.06.pdf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 01:18AM by blindguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2013 07:25AM

I hope this employee is successful.

(As you know I was nearly blind during a year of cornea surgeries. Doing better now, but I know the feeling of not being able to participate because people around me dismiss my visual problems.)

Glad to see you again and hope you're doing well.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: February 11, 2013 10:34AM

Note that the lawsuit, while filed on behalf of an individual, is actually a class action one. For a church whose members claim historic persecution, this smacks of the very persecution they claim that others have done to them.

Posted by: witchhunt ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 11:07AM

A #1 RATED 'STAR OF THE INDUSTRY' AWARDED 32 YEAR VETERAN SERVER FROM THE GRIFFIN GATE MARRIOTT HOTEL AND RESORT IN LEXINGTON, KY HAS BEEN FALSELY ACCUSED OF STEALING AFTER A FOREMAN FROM SALISBURY MOORE CONSTRUCTION FIRM LIED ABOUT SEEING MR. RON BRADLEY LOADING SOME DISCARDED OLD CHAIRS REMOVED DURING A RENOVATION WHICH HAD BEEN SITTING OUT IN THE RAIN IN THE PARKING FOR 3 DAYS. THE ACTUAL TRUTH WHICH THE 'REAL' PERSON WHO WAS THERE REPORTED TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE HOTEL THROUGH AN EMAIL STATES THAT ... INDEED, 'THEY' WERE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTION AND APOLOGIZED TO THE FOREMAN AND IMMEDIATELY PUT THE ITEMS BACK EMPHATICALLY STATING THAT IT WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING...THAT IT HAD BEEN COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT THE ITEMS WERE BEING THROWN AWAY. THE FOREMAN'S INDIGNANT ATTITUDE TAINTED THE TRUTH HOWEVER BY THE NEXT MORNING AND - USING A NAME THE PERSON HAD MENTIONED KNOWING IN THE EMPLOY OF THE MARRIOTT, (RON BRADLEY), WENT TO HUMAN RESOURCES AND NOW - UNBELIEVABLY - RON BRADLEY HAS BEEN TERMINATED AT 56 YEARS OF AGE AFTER SERVING THE MARRIOTT FOR 32 YEARS WITH A PERFECT UNTAINTED RECORD. JUDE RESER OF HUMAN RESOURCES / GRIFFIN GATE RESORT / LEXINGTON / WAS UNAVAILABLE FOR COMMENT. DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER AND A WRONGFUL TERMINATION SUIT IS PENDING.

Posted by: karriew ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:36AM

Read some of the comments by markrichards. I am sure, at some point Marriott will just decide enough is enough and settle. In the settlement there will be non disclosure clauses and somewhere there will be the statement, "Marriott fails to admit liability or responsibility....."

That is the nature of litigation. The only time people can be actually put on record for misdeeds is when they are compelled to testify in open court with a Judge and a jury in the box.

It is not very good that Marriott is doing that to a 32 year employee. It is not like Marriott self funds a retirement plan so they are not getting rid of someone that may cost the company 25 or so years of retirement income that they can pocket because of a termination for cause.

I hope the subject in question has an extra $30,000 or so to spend to get this case in front of a jury. That little figure is the low average cost of litigation. Attorney's may take a lot of cases via contingency, they still need to bring a case to trial, file motions, interrogatories, discovery. Unless the attorney is some sort of caped crusader and has a lot of capitol laying around the year or two to prep a case expenses need to be paid, lights, rent, utilities.

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 12:16PM

I am leery of litigation. The only winners are the lawyers, plain and simple. When litigating against any corporation (TSCC) or one of its owned entities (Mariott Hotels), you face the entire weight of that organization.

Last fall, Rock Center did a hit piece on Romney and TSCC. Williams called Salt Lake City "Wall Street Central Mountain Time." Brian Williams also repeated the oft whispered rumor that TSCC owns $1 Trillion dollars in stocks, properties and investments in the United States alone. That amount may be higher when you take in world wide holdings.

That being said, do you think the law firm of Shrimp, Shrimp and Shrimp is going to even stand a chance against such a money machine.

The lawsuit you reference is class action. Now, class action suits (thanks to the Republicrats in Congress) are a whole lot harder to file as it takes a higher bar to file. When settlement time comes around, the prevailing attorney's will get their half or more, the other half or less, will be divvied up to the hundreds of 'victims.' Settlement may amount of a few hundred dollars. The caveat, the offender will admit no liability nor can the terms of the settlement be used in future litigation to 'demonstrate' past bad practice.

Bankruptcy is another travesty in our legal system. If you are some sonofabitch that lived beyond your means and burned everyone and you are offended by what I say, I AM NOT SORRY. I have no sympathy. Every day I turn on the television and some attorney is extolling the virtue of burning the individuals to whom one owes money. All you Bank of America employees, how is your year end bonus doing? B of A alone lost $73 billion dollars in 2011 in bankruptcy due to simply not filing an opposition.

Posted by: Brenda ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 05:38AM

Looks like Shrimp, Shrimp and Shrimp won against the ‘heavy hitters” lol, and Marriott also experienced a boycott. Your opinion means as much for bankruptcy’s, and law suits never being won by victims. Opinions only matter from ppl whose opinion counts. markrichards you sound most callous.

Settlement reached in Marriott rape case
Jeff Morganteen, Staff Writer
Published 8:36 pm, Saturday, December 4, 2010
STAMFORD -- A woman raped at gunpoint in front of her children four years ago in the Stamford Marriott parking garage has settled a civil lawsuit filed against the hotel for an undisclosed amount of money.

Attorneys involved in the lawsuits would not comment about details in the case, which was withdrawn this September and resolved using a private alternative dispute resolution firm.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Settlement-reached-in-Marriott-rape-case-860707.php#ixzz2N7yIK5Dy

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 11:29AM

Yes Brenda, I am callous and cynical when it comes to litigation.

In my previous comments, I re-iterate my stand, the amount was undisclosed and the terms of the settlement are confidential. Translation in legal speak, "No one can use the settlement in future litigation to demonstrate past bad practice."

I am sure, both sides agreed to not discuss the case further. So the winner can't appear on Riki Lake, Jerry Springer or Rock Center and badmouth Marriott.

In CA, the Solons in the State House were so incensed by serial baby raper Michael Jackson buying off his victim ($15 million in one instance), they passed laws that compelled testimony in criminal cases, even if a civil settlement contains a 'non disclosure' clause.

I did not want to hijack a thread with side issues, but my parents loaned $50,000 to a TBM. The money secured by a lien on property. After the death of my parents, this person ensured me the loan would be paid. Two years later those people filed bankruptcy and sought via bankruptcy to strip the terms of the loan, secured by a lien on real property and walk away from the debt. Maybe this is coincidence, all this happened right after I was disfellowshipped. After approximately $15,000 in legal fees out of my pocket (I am sure the debtor's legal fees were paid by his business insurance policy), I eventually "won" as I took the case to trial. The Judge issued his ruling and the person agreed to a payment plan, backed by the surety of a Federal Judge (a TBM) In the meantime, the debtor was 'called' to serve as some mission post well outside the jurisdiction of the U.S. The money stopped coming in. TSCC holds what assets the person possessed in 'trust,' No relief there, as the money held by TSCC is beyond the order of the Court.

I don't miss that $50,000, but someday that person is going to return the United States....I will be waiting. A hammer in the knee sounds like a good repayment plan. Not enough to kill, but every day those people will wake up in pain.

Yes Brenda, Schrimp, et al. may win some little case. Will the Marriott hotel chain actually change their policy or beef up security after losing a few thousand dollars? Probably not. When you come right down to it, big corporations self insure, they raise the rates a few days and recoup the $$$$$$$

The ONLY winners are the lawyers!

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: March 05, 2013 04:54PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.