Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Controlissues ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:24PM

I know it sounds nuts maybe, but I wonder if any of you have tried to STOP Mormon family members from baptizing your dead family members. My only Mormon sibling will do this to our brother. I am maybe wrong to care - stupid to care?- but I want to be able to, in a dignified manner, voice my objections. (He was NOT Morman and they already hijacked his funeral.) TIPS?

Also is there anything LEGAL and binding that one can do to ensure one is not baptized after death?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:29PM

I'm worried enough already about stopping my own stupid TBM family from giving me a TBM funeral. I love the idea of stopping them from giving someone else one though. You can draw up a will but if they have access to that person's name they will dead dunk them regardless.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:32PM

Ahh. Good point. I will write something up to make sure i am cremated rather then being fed to the worms in a baker hat.

Date: February 19, 2013 10:40PM

I not only want to be cremated, but I plan on donating most of my organs to science or to whomever needs them. My tbm dad already purchased a funeral plot for me though. I am in the process of drawing up an official will. I really do appreciate the plot and plots he purchased for me and my kids, he has spent almost 20,000 dollars to bury us in the future next to him and my mom. But I don't want that! And I don't want him to spend that much on us if we happen to die. That's just a ridiculous amount! Anyway, we're working it out.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 10:00AM

Same here - when mom died in '98, he bought 5 plots, enuf for 3 kids (except there are 5 of us???). Anyway, I don't want to be buried and I certainly don't want to be near him (narcissistic bully).

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:30PM

What's the point in stopping them. These works are not true and completely useless.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:36PM

I don't think there's a way to stop it, and I don't know if there is anything legally that can be done. And you're not wrong or stupid to care. It's a hurtful, disrespectful act. They've gotten after some of mine. Sure, sure, it's false, it's not real, you shouldn't worry about it, whatever. Well I am upset about it. The Mormons would be LIVID if the roles were reversed.

Someone here posted something on their Facebook about making all dead Mormons gay and caught some flak for it, and that one is fake, it's just a website. Then the Mormon mother is fit to be tied, hurt, and angry at being "excluded" from her daughter's wedding...yet wouldn't bat an eye if it was a temple wedding excluding the nonMormon mother.

It's not wrong to be upset about it. I just don't think there's much you can do about it.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 10:51PM

It's pretty hard to legally bind someone from doing something pretend. It's certainly disrespectful and hurtful.

Perhaps the best revenge is to posthumously convert Mormons to be gay:
http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

Date: February 19, 2013 10:52PM

yup, that would work!

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 12:30PM

that's enough temple work for today.

Posted by: skyfall ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 11:02PM

I know here in Canada whom ever is the executor has control of the burial. So as long as the person you leave in charge will follow the wishes for your end of life they can cry all they want. You could also prepay or say just what you want. My parents said they wanted cremation and no churchy service at all. I want them to take my remains after burning and turn me into diamonds rubies and other jewels. That way the family jewels will be made from real family. Can't you see the ad if stolen " Bring back the necklace you stole they are my late parent. Made from their cremated remains!" I don'tcare what they do I just don't want them to waste money I wont care i will be dead.

Date: February 19, 2013 11:04PM

oh ya, I heard that Joan Rivers turned her husbands remains into a diamond. He had committed suicide years ago. I think that's a great idea...spreading ashes is nice, but if you have the money to make them into a ring, why not? Either way, they are "with you"

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 01:55PM

No matter what they believe, the Mormons are only doing a silly, meaningless ritual involving someone's name and date of birth. They are not really baptizing a "him" or a "her." Those "endowments" have no meaning now or later, except to the members of a particular cult.

I believe that nonbelievers need to have their own rituals, privately if need be. I've heard that it helps a lot to write a letter to the person you have lost and then take it to their grave with a candle and burn it there.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 11:08PM

May I suggest that you are acting like these rituals have some real meaning? They don't.

They are teachings that only Mormons believe. Otherwise, they are meaningless, just as any ritual in any other ritual is meaningless to a non believer.

Whether you know about it or don't know about it, it makes no difference. For your own peace of mind..... ignore the rituals.

About wishes for a funeral: write an outline and email it to family and friends. Then there is no question.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 02:14PM

After all, he was no longer there, he couldn't possibly know about it, so what did it matter what you did with his body or his memory?

Obviously, you followed his wishes out of love and respect for him and the memory of him. It's the same thing.

Put a name to it, personalize it, and it changes everything.

Posted by: testimony man ( )
Date: February 19, 2013 11:18PM

It has been a couple of years since I was doing geneolgy work on the new.familysearch.org site. On this site if you setup the temple work for a family member it tells you to get permission first from the closest relative. They do have rules to follow for getting permission. However, most people feel the rules don't really apply because of the greater good. I would put in in writing and tell them you object. Good luck.

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 02:18AM

Can I get links to find out which of my dead ancestors has already had any temple work done?

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 02:22AM

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion. Trouble is, if anyone farther out in the family tree is also now, or later becomes, Mormon and they get all fired up over family history you may find, as I did, that some of your relatives have been or will be dead dunked without even knowing about you or your feelings. I saw a grandfather had been baptized twice and have no idea who did it. Just comfort yourself with the knowledge that temple work is just busy work the GA's use to keep Mormons from finding better ways to use their time.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 09:27AM

There's more secrecy here. The Mormon genealogy website hides the IGI (?) now unless you have a recommend, I think, but they never displayed the name of person who turned in the name for "work" to be done. Some personal accountability would be nice. I'd like to know who dunnit.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 02:29AM

Recently we have lost a few precious people in our immediate family. I wrote a letter to her telling her that she does NOT have the family's permission to posthumously baptise any of them, particularly not my late husband. There was no response except a 'defriending' on FB.

I understand that permission needs to be sought of living next of kin and family.

I don't trust her - she's a mormon.

Briggy

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 08:19AM

Me too Brigantia... I have made it clear that I do not want my late husband's name submitted. I know it is all myth, but feel it is a disresectful and arrogant act.

My nevermo DH put up with a lot from me when I was a member and when I left 20 years into our marriage the only thing he said was, "I'm not sure what took you so long.." He taught me more about unconditional love and accepting people for who they are and helping others than the church ever could. He has always treated my mo relatives with love and respect.

It seems like a slap in the face that they think they need to "save" him. Yet, I do realize it is all bunk...

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 02:58AM

I'm so sorry, Briggy, for your losses. I'm glad you wrote that letter. It only takes one Mormon. I don't trust 'em, either.

But what can we do? There are still the deceased's neighbors, friends, colleagues, missionaries, a local ward who might take it upon themselves to be sure our loved ones are baptized.

Losing a loved one is tough enough--without the Mormons getting in the way, and making everything difficult. The attention should be paid to the deceased, and not to cult-promotion. I have a Will with very specific details for my Christian burial, including no Mormon speakers, no Mormon prayers, no Mormon music, no Mormon food, no Mormon "helping-out." I want only a graveside service and a wake for selected family members (I have too many Mormon relatives) and a few close friends, at one of my children's homes.

The funeral is important, but whatever mumbo-jumbo ritual the Momo's perform over their lists of names is just silliness. We can't control it, any more than they can control our performing a ritual with candles and incantations that will NEGATE any Mormon temple ritual. Your jou-jou is stronger than their jou-jou! I have a friend who undid her temple sealing that way, after she legally divorced her abusive husband.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 03:27AM

In reality mormons will dunk anyone and everyone with or without permission. They have no shame.

Anyone is lacking in imagination and human awareness when they claim the one and only reason anyone would not want to be dunked is because they're giving these rituals credibility.

That's like saying the only reason someone wouldn't want to have mormons pee on their grave is because they think mormon pee is holy.

I'd guess that about 60% of humans hate the idea of mormons mormonizing their memory. The other 40% are indifferent.

But mormons have been brainwashed about preferences. They believe that there is only one true way to feel about many things that are considered optional or flexible to a normal non-brainwashed mind.

Date: February 20, 2013 03:45AM

Thank you all so much for replying. I know it is just mumbo jumbo, but it IS offensive and matters to me emotionally. I will do a will so that they cannot hijack my funeral and I will add that I do not want to be baptized. I'd love to find a "NOT IN OUR NAME" website were people can go and register and voice their opposition to their family members being baptized posthumously. I am serious. Any ideas? Anyone open to telling me how this could be done?

Date: February 20, 2013 03:47AM

Sorry for the typo, I meant "WHERE people can go" not "were".

Date: February 20, 2013 08:57PM

Thank you, Cheryl

Date: March 01, 2013 06:53AM

Dear Freckles, my brother was never Mormon and I am not either. Can we use family search to keep them from baptizing him??!!

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: March 01, 2013 10:58AM

controlissues Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Freckles, my brother was never Mormon and I
> am not either. Can we use family search to keep
> them from baptizing him??!!

The only way I can see to do that is to reserve the names. You would have to be a member or have a member reserve them. That should keep them from being done. From what I have heard there is some way to have it say that the church needs permission. But I would not advise that as someone somewhere down the line is LDS and will provide permission. Honestly,it's all BS. I don't believe them baptizing for the dead means anything. However my relatives are Jewish and lost their families and almost their own lives for their beliefs. They do not want LDS temple work done for them or their relatives. So I went in and reserved the names so they can not be done by anyone else. If the names are in Family search, the church will do them. They say they only have members do family names, which is technically true but the temples can take names from family search and do them, and they do, unless they are reserved. This is part of the reason tScc is so adamant about indexing. The more names they get in, the more work they can do.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 08:30AM

Dead dunking is a fantasy.

It has no basis in Universal Law.

Kinda like pissing into the ocean; it doesn't make a difference...

If TBMs want to dead dunk me; go right ahead...

What a farce

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 08:41AM

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 09:06PM

Is there a link where you can find out if people have had temple voodoo performed on them?

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: February 20, 2013 09:32PM

All you need is your member number to create an account on family search and you can find out if the work has been done. Don't know if it would work for ex or resigned members. But My family is Jewish so I went in recently, as I have not resigned yet, and reserved their names. My relatives have made it clear they do not want that work done. Once it is in Family Search the church will do it on their own if the names haven't been reserved. You can also somehow put a note in saying they need permission. I did not do this as I don't want any family tbm's going in and saying they are family and they are giving permission. I reserved specifically so the work does not get done for my relatives peace of mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.