Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:36PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50803228-76/mata-daya-yogananda-god.html.csp
I don't know if this person has ever been discussed on RFM, but I came across the story and was fascinated by it. Not only does a Mormon girl from a prominent family leave the faith to join an eastern religion, she, a mere woman, ends up the spiritual leader of the movement! No wonder nobody in Utah wants to talk about her. And am I imagining it, or was there a GA's relative who became a Catholic nun? Anyway, with all the emphasis on the Lard's true church, the few famous converts ( like Gladys Knight ) etc, I always wonder about famous people who defect from TSCC and continue their spiritual journey elsewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 04:12PM

Posted by: george ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 04:40PM

Don't know about the nun, but one of the Self-Realization temples is nearby. Also, my son once lived across the street from Mother House, where Sri Mata Daya lived. She was amazing. Her followers are really nice. Her funeral was held before thousands in the Pasadena Civil Center (?). I tried to share her story with my TBM kids, but not interested. Such are the vicissitudes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 04:41PM by george.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:26PM

I got married at one of their temples and my TBM family came. It was one of the most beautiful weddings that I had ever been to even though it was my own...:-) In any case, my wedding was filled with love. My TBM family didn't say anything to me about it afterwards because they were speechless! They didn't know what to say or do because there was nothing to belittle.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:30PM

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:48PM

I Agree. My point was more about that my wedding was the ONLY non-temple wedding my TBM family had every attended (all of them and this is true!). It was filled with love, joy and commitment and NOT all about wearing silly costumes, handshakes and stupid stuff like that. The monk who married us has long since passed on but he knew Sri Daya Mata and was also a devotee of Yogananda. There was more spirituality in his presence than all Mormons put together.

I’ve been to SRF many times and had no idea that Sri Daya Mata was Mormon when she was younger. I even met her once in 1992. I wish that I would have known.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 06:40PM

sister became a nun. Not cites for you but I'm sure that's the case.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 06:53PM

SD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sister became a nun. Not cites for you but I'm
> sure that's the case.

Good for her!

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:45AM

Does anybody have more info on that?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 06:59PM

That's an interesting article. Thank you.

Date: January 13, 2011 07:41PM

@Matt: you're welcome :)
@SD: Wow! SWK's sister! That's gotta be it. I knew it was somebody high up, but I didn't know she was related to him. It seems not to be a well-known fact; is there any mention of it in any of his bios?
@George: sorry your kids weren't interested in hearing about her. I guess it isn't exactly faith-promoting when someone leaves TSCC. And to hear that someone is actually spiritually fulfilled and far better off without it! Some things that are true are not very useful, like the man said ;)
@RGG: your wedding sounds like it was a lovely experience for you. I'm so glad. The one thing I didn't have when I stood there in that ridiculous getup staring at a bunch of strangers (my few remaining family members were all Catholic and "unworthy") was love. Sri Daya Mata sounds like she was a wonderful person and I'm glad she found her life's purpose.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 08:17PM

:-)

Date: January 13, 2011 09:14PM

Yep, just did a search, it was Marion G. Romney. Sorry Spence ;)

Posted by: george ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 09:29PM

Just so Spence doesn't feel slighted, he got married in his mother-in-laws parlor, verses the holy temple AND he got baptized twice, a month or two apart. His mother felt it wasn't done correctly the first time (in a bathtube). The second time was in the flowing irrigation ditch in front of their farm. I know lots about Uncle Spencer (hint, hint).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 09:31PM by george.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:39AM

If this reader's comment is reliable, there was quite an LDS contingent in the sect:

Poster Waltly:

"Daya Mata (Faye Wright), Ananda Mata (Virginia Wright, Daya's sister), Shyama Mata (Daya's mother), Mrinalini Mata (Merna Loy Brown), and Tara Mata (Laurie Pratt) as well as C. Richard Wright (Daya's brother) were all disciples of Paramahansa Yogananda and from LDS families. The "Mormon Mata's" were on the Self-Realization Fellowship Board of Directors for decades and shaped it into the worldwide organization it is today. Mormons everywhere should be proud that strong LDS women have done such great work! I know I would be if I were Mormon. You know, "Local Girls Make Goodness" and all that!
Flag"

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 10:00AM

Yogananda's US organization went through a schism sometime in the 50's or 60's, resulting in bad blood and the founding of a competing group. I've forgotten most of what I knew about this, but I _think_ these two web sites represent the two competing groups:

http://www.yogananda-srf.org
http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/

A subtle clue to the division is given by the fact that Crystal Clarity is hawking the 1'st edition of Yogananda's autobio (which I presume is out of copyright), while the SRF is selling a later edition (under copyright).
=========================================================

Many decades ago, Yogananda struck me as perhaps one of the very few authenticate "holy men" of the modern era.

Be that as it may, His Holiness couldn't create a fracture-proof organization, illustrating the fundamental problem with organized religion/spirituality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.