Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:02PM

The thread that mrsraptorjesus started about a phone conversation that included, "how's your testimony coming along" also had another interesting tidbit.

Movies were brought up because Mrs. and I had just seen a couple and MIL said that she heard Black Swan was "satanic."

MIL pretty much only hangs out with other TBMs, so she's hearing the description from other Mormons.

Anyone else hear out there hear this shit?

For the record, we saw Black Swan and both loved it.

The "satanic" comment floored me however.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:05PM

I have had friends and family spend far too much time criticizing fine works of art because they were "immoral." I even had a friend ask me how I could enjoy Wuthering Heights so much when "it had such a bad spirit."

Date: January 13, 2011 05:12PM

It's really only good for children.

What a shock that the Morg doesn't want people watching R Rated movies.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:15PM

I would say that comment is based on the movie posters and previews alone, since there is nothing satanic about the movie itself. I would LOVE to see the look on a TBM's face while watching those masturbation and sex scenes, though!

Now I'm feeling squeamish thinking about my nails peeling and bleeding. :/

Date: January 13, 2011 05:19PM

during the nails part...yucky.

But I looked MUCH closer during the M and S scenes.

Whooooo! My My! Those girls were giving me the vapors. Just wished Portman had been 10 pounds heavier, but she went for realism with the role so I understand.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:56PM

Date: January 13, 2011 05:59PM

Posted by: artvandalay ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:28PM

That this automatically sends out warning lights in some people's minds as do not watch. How it goes from being "dark" to "satanic" is beyond me though.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 05:37PM

of course I guess that makes him not-quite-TBM doesn't it?

Date: January 13, 2011 05:53PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 06:00PM

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:00PM

..."I'm sure that you didn't hear that from anyone who actually SAW the movie, since it has a R rating. People who are GOOD Mormons wouldn't see that movie, now would they?"

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:01PM

I only knew a few who abstained. It seemed more like the caffeine commandment; it was a small kind of rebellion to drink coke and watch blood and guts fly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 07:02PM by queenofdenial.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:19PM

When first getting to know a mormon, I would let the conversation move to movies, music, and other pursuits that might let me know just how "diligent" the person was in blindly following leaders.

If someone mentioned that they had not seen a particular film because it was rated R, I knew that we might not have so much in common.

Date: January 13, 2011 07:23PM

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 07:43PM

If every nut case who has schizophrenia is "satanic", then there are millions of people "possessed'. And they can appear normal, but then a tragedy happens-look at Tuscon...

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:29PM

I love ballet but SWAN was a stupid movie.

The so-called sex scenes were boring and mental hospitals are full of cutters, take a number Natalie. So what's the big deal,she had to stab herself to feel something,

You can flame me but the movie was DUMB and a waste of 2 hours.

Date: January 13, 2011 11:37PM

It was a fantastic movie. Deeply original, the sex scenes were incredibly hot. I loved the symbolism, it made ballet feel masculine and fresh. The story was rich, and the girl was more than just a "cutter."

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:00AM

There is actually a disorder for this called dermatillomania where you compulsively scratch/pick/bite at your own skin. Sounds weird, but I have this same problem. I bite/pick at my lips until they bleed and scab over. I've been going through an especially bad lip phase for the last couple weeks now. Gross I know, and it's so embarrassing I used to sort of pretend it wasn't happening. It was only recently that I learned a lot of people have this same problem... including both my sisters, who compulsively scratch at patches of skin on their hands. Anyway...

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:20PM

The first ten minutes of this film are brilliant. However, the heroine makes so many stupid, stupid decisions I had little respect for her by the end of the movie.

P.S. Maybe the red eyes of the promotional poster influenced your TBM friends to think it "satanic". Which it isn't.

Posted by: Eldridge Cleaver ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:40PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.