Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 12:55AM

OK, maybe I am cynical but it seems like, looking at the list of where the new missions were created, that most of them are in areas that it would be the least expensive to keep all those extra missionaries. American missionaries can be cheaply housed with members, other countries listed aren't the more expensive ones to live in. There are exceptions, like Japan, but think about it.

If you were in charge of a cheap church, and you had to come up with somewhere to put lots of extra missionaries, AND you knew that it didn't really matter where you put them because the work was tanking anyway, what would you do? Especially if your real purpose was more about enslaving those already in the church rather than converting new members, then you would put them somewhere it cost the least to brainwash them. Is there any real proof that there are so many more converts in these countries that justify new missions in those areas? It could also be possible they chose places least likely to have access to anti-Mormon information. Just speculating why the decided to put the extra brainwashing victims where they did and decided to divide certain missions rather than others.

Here is a link to the list (BTW, I think it's interesting that they say in the article that the missions are being created through boundary adjustments to existing missions): http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24168317&nid=1016&title=lds-church-announces-58-new-missions&fm=home_page&s_cid=featured-1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 01:23AM

Honestly, they probably won't get into any new countries anyway. But after reading those speculations I'm going to say you're probably pretty accurate. I just wish I could fast forward a couple of years and see where this all goes.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 02:58AM

8 New missions in Mexico. Just today 2 fb friends posted about a family member being called to, you guessed it, Mexico.

I think you are definitely on to something. Not only is it.cheaper to house the extra, but these are the populations that get baptised. Who cares if they stay active. It's about entrenching the missionary.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 10:04AM

I heard that Mexico is more dangerous then Iraq right now, or at least in certain regions. This isn't going to end well.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 03:24AM

I think those are the highest baptizing areas in the world right now. Most of them just happen to be cheaper places to live. Europe and most of the USA is noticeably not on there since they don't baptize anymore.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:35AM

My guess is it is based on the areas with the most potential baptisms - e.g. most potential to increase baptisms by increasing the labor force.

If the objective was cost they should all be in 3rd world countries. Although some missionaries live with LDS families in the US the majority live in apartments.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 09:51AM

My ex-mo bro lives in Mexico on $755 USD per month.

Lots of smoking and drinking.

If he cut out the S and D, he could live on a Mish's salary there.

He pays no rent.

For utilities, he has to buy his own propane, which is cheap...

He would make a good missionary for The One True Atheist Church...

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: February 23, 2013 10:53AM

I think this bump in the number of dorks in suits will be very short lived. There will be a population of boys who leave 1 year earlier than they would have otherwise and some girls who do the same. The perceived 'increase' really isn't extra missionaries its just a change in timing that will drop off back to previous levels after 24 months.

I do think some more girls may end up going since the waiting period is shorter but that really is the only demographic where there might be a true increase.....and I doubt it will be very significant.

My guess is that two years from now the number of missionaries in the field is right back to the level it was at prior to the change....maybe even down a bit as the TSCC has to start contending with Gen Y and their distaste for Kool-aid.

Posted by: * ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 09:12AM

A young man I know just got his call to Brazil. He doesn't report until July. Six more months at home waiting! Is the gap that long for everyone now?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 05:04PM

Last night, I was at a birthday party for my TBM SIL (but he's cool). His sister's son just got a call for his mission to Pueblo, Mexico. He doesn't leave until May.

I asked why the long wait, and he & family just shrugged their shoulders, kind of bewildered.

His mother says she's "putting off getting excited" because it's such a long time from now.

Strange non-happenings.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 06:20PM

I expected this is what would happen - the wait time to go on a mission would get some like that for many of the boys they would still go out at 19. The big difference is they just get them on the hook a little sooner.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 10:07AM

North America is divided into Northeast Area, Northwest Area, Southeast Area, Southwest Area, Central Area, Utah Area, and Idaho Area. There are the "mission field" areas, and then there's Idaho and Utah.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 04:31PM

Well, we all know how cheap the morg is. They need to do something with the glut of missionaries, but they're probably not happy about it. The mishies just don't bring home the bacon like they used to.

These new missions are going to cost some money, even though the mishies and family have to pony up. The morg won't get a good return on these new missions, so after the initial influx of elders, they will quietly close them down.

I think in time they will re-evaluate the whole missionary strategy. I'm sure that right now they are looking at the costs and benefits of the whole thing.

At some point they might tell the mishies to just stay at home, canvass the neighborhood, and let us know how it goes.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 05:12PM

My mom is anxiously awaiting the day the missionaries will be called home and "the Lord will teach his own lessons to the children of men." My mom is a disaster prep/genealogy swigging groupie and is quite excited to see the beginning of the end. I'm not sure why. She's in her 70s and wouldn't live through any sort of disaster she is anticipating. But I digress.

If the church were to call home the missionaries, the faithful would have their panties in a wad with excitement about the Lord's coming. Heck, this burst of new missions and missionaries is already seen as a possible last push before the end as it is.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 05:02PM

0 in Africa, but then we know what the ld$ think of africans

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 06:10PM

When I saw the list and read "Washington Federal Way Mission" all I could do was feel sad for those mishies opening that letter. That's as bad if not worse than Spokane.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 10:53PM

Amen! Where the heck are they getting this Federal Way mission from anyways when they already have Tacoma and Seattle?

I feel pretty bad for the mishies in the Spokane mission who end up places like Moses Lake and Lewiston.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 07:05PM

How funny--not one mission in Europe. Gotta really focus on areas where people have no internet access. They HAVE to have a huge incress in baptismal numbers to assure the sheeple that zion is growin and they were inspired to change the age rules because almightygawd needed more grunts in his army. It has nothing to do with entrenching these young kids in the cult. Nothing. Yeah right. There is no way the number of wards and stakes will begin to keep pace with the number of missionaries and baptisms. But no one will put two and two together and even look at those statistics. It will be all about baptismal numbers, not activity rates.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 07:28PM

One additional consideration is that with an increase in missions there must be more mission presidents and only so many are available who can live off their own wealth. Some must be effectively paid fully. Result, to keep the cost per net missionary down, the mishies must live on less! Voila, more being sent to el cheapo locations. Sorry for the mixed languages. Plus, the average number of baptisms per missionary must not go down. End of Europe and northeast USA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.