Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 02:51PM

...good. And that if I follow the plan of salvation I can become more like Heavenly Father. I know that my family loves me, and one day we will be reunited in heaven. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christâ„¢, Amen!

Is this how Mormons will bear their testimony in the near future?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 03:29PM

Yes!

A niece who just returned from a mission bore almost exactly such a testimony to us (the one ex-mo family of the bunch). She even prefaced her testimony by sweeping aside all questions about whether the church is true and Joseph/monson a prophet etc. The whole thing boils down to:

the church makes me happy, my family happy, my friends happy, my ward happy and so it will make you happy, too.

isaythesethingsinthenameofjesuschristamen

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 03:33PM

Intellectual hedonism !!!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 03:36PM

good enough, some days. Harmful, some days.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 04:09PM

I think to a certain personality the church can be beneficial. (not that that makes it any better). I'm not that personality though.

And yes, that already is the testimony (or it was a few months ago, haven't been back haha). It's what parents whisper in their kids ears, it's what ym/yw stand up and say. It's their mantra at all the EFY/youth conferences. They say it to investigators on their mission. They'll grow up and whisper it in their kids ears. If you say you believe it enough times you'll believe, right?

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:04PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 05:09PM by Bal.

Posted by: Minnie ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:27PM

the church is good?

if only that much were true, maybe when they get rid of their racist, anti-gay, anti-feminist propaganda then maybe, it could be good

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:35PM

someday I would like to hear the bishop go up and say "I testify to you that the church is a load of bs, please go home, there are donuts in the back"

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:39PM

Plus coffee with the donuts!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:40PM

lol yes of course. It's on tap and very hot!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 03:25PM

The most disturbing memories of the church for me growing up was F&T meeting and all the blubbering testimonies that always sounded soooo contived even when I was a kid. I hate preaching too...regardless of what faith the bozo at the pulpit is...it just makes me verrrry uncomfortable....and don't even get me started on the Catholics and their reading from a book every @#$@#$ week like they've never read it before....phony BS.

Ron Burr

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 03:42PM

Following the John Dehlin method, testimonies of the future will be watered down. Joseph Smith will not be mentioned. Problems with the Book of Mormon? Leave that out too. And everyone can avoid lying by no longer claiming to "know things".

Just go with "the church has been such a blessing", and "I'm so thankful for my family".

Everyone can still blubber away while avoiding those bothersome cultish things.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 01:44PM

What I REALLY like is having a little kid being held by mommy at the microphone testifying that the 'chuch is twoo' while mommy whispers in his/her ear while child has snot running out nose, and making faces at siblings in congregation. Jesus CHRIST I don't miss going to church.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 03:55PM

Testimony=parlor trick. You get a sincere expression from someone about what they know, or actually pretend to know. To disagree with them would be rude, so you don't. (Although you should.)

When someone bears their testimony to me, I say "OK, you've convinced me that you believe it. That has no bearing whatever on whether I should believe it too."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 04:29PM

Makes sense. Not to me, but it makes sense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.