Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 12:03PM

Check out the Salt Lake Trib article on the FLDS breaking away from Warren Jeffs:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55867043-78/jessop-congregation-flds-jeffs.html.csp

They start out singing "Did you think to pray" in that awful LDS dirge-like way of singing it. It's VERY familiar. Then they are also singing "We thank thee O God for a Prophet." I found this eerie and weird. I'm thinkin' that there aren't that many differences between LDS and the so-called "mainstream" Mormons, after all. Except for some outlandish women's outfits (that are not totally unknown in the "mainstream" world of Mormonism), everyone else looks and talks the same. Except that, truth be told, FLDS are actually the better Mormons, if you're looking at the Brighamite traditions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 01:47PM

Funny how this bunch is calling him Uncle William. So reminiscent of how Jeffs predecessor (Leroy Johnson) was called Uncle Leroy. Uncle Leroy was an iron fisted tyrant that probably did everything Jeffs was convicted of and likely more. I remember in the mid-late 80s when I was going to school at SUU in Cedar City and working at a local gas station when the "plig" vans would come into town and head across the street to do the weekly shopping at the Albertsons before coming across the street to gas up before heading back to Short Creek. It was usually 4-5 vans with one Elder driving and 3-4 wives plus a few children (who had earned the privilege) per van. Always filled up on one credit card with Uncle Leroy's name on it. I still remember one child who wandered into the station and looking slack-jawed at the TV we had in there. Blew his mind at the "moving talking pictures"

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 03:45PM

I only saw 1, maybe 2 older women. The rest were very young.
Plenty of old men to go around though.

Posted by: Warrior princess ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 04:35PM

I feel like the difference is that the LDS church was forced to end polygamy or lose the religious tax exemption status. I don't know why it was not similar to the FLDS.

But, what is really creepy is that when a mo, I could totally see that FLDS was a cult. And yet, I could not see it in my LDS religion. My goodness!

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 05:04PM

It wasn't the tax exemption that caused the LDS church to issue the "Manifesto". It was getting the St George and Logan temples back from the federal government along with getting statehood that did it. the FLDS has generally been too small and and has never controlled a state for the Feds to really bother with until the atrocities of Warren Jeffs & Co came to light on national basis.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 07:14PM

Go listen to the first section of this podcast of This American Life--talks about a polyg group in Manti. They have audio of a testimony meeting, and, really, without the mention of someone being thankful for being a polygamous wife, it could be any testimony meeting in any LDS chapel on the planet:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/21/factions

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 07:18PM

I have used FLDS to introduce religion to my social media community. I have become more bold because it appears Mormonism will cross one more generation in my family and this must be opposed.

LDS and RLDS believe in Joseph Smith, the BoM, the First Vision, the restoration. It is a teachable moment to share this and that the split is between Wilford Woodruff, modern revelation, polygamy, and mainstreaming through submission to government will.

Other than that these child-rapists and modern revelation nut jobs (about 40,000) have a foundation in common with the LDS. Seems important for young adolescent LDS girls to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 07:20PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 09:18PM

As I see it, the only real difference is time. Joseph and Brigham would be heartened to see the FLDS and ask who those apostates are that run Salt Lake.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 10:33PM

YES, the FLDS and the RLSD in Missouri are WAY closer to the original doctrines etc. than the joke in SLC. GAG!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 10:41PM

The only main difference is who they claim as Prophet, leading to different policies, but their core beliefs are the same. FLDS are still stuck in the 1800s. LDS are stuck in the 1950s.

LDS abandoned polygamy (in this life) but still believe in polygamy after death (although many TBMs try to ignore it or believe it will be "all worked out" after they die). For other TBMs the cogdis is too great, and they deny that LDS doctrine means they believe in polygamy after they die.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:05AM

But I'm just glad that such a large chunk of the fundy plygs have renounced Warren Jeffs as their Prophet. He is one sick whack-job! *Anything* else has to be an improvement over following that man as their leader.

;o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.