Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goat ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 03:34PM

Is there a link or something to a prophecy about polygamy being reinstated? I saw a comment to that effect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 05:58PM

does multiple g.f.s count?

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 06:56PM

Bruce R McConkie, Apostle, sustained as a "prophet seer and revelator" every six months for his entire career, said this in his book Mormon Doctrine regarding plural marriage:

...obviously the holy practice will commence again after the Second Coming and the ushering in of the millennium ...

Polygamy was only suspended, never disavowed.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:19AM

Also said marriage is between one man and one woman unless the lord requires otherwise. So if the prophet declares otherwise, there you go.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 10:44PM

If you check you Ensign --Both Dallin Oakes and Russell M Nelson have married and completed in the Temple , the sealing for time and all eterniny to**2** women. Both are Polygamists and expect to receive them as wives in the eternities..

JB

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 07:33AM

It would have to be suspended before it could be reinstated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqvall3pSBE

Date: February 26, 2013 10:11AM

2 to 5%? That's a lie. At the time before the manifesto it was 20-30% of the adult men and about half of the women.

The Allred group have taken over wards. They are members in good standing and control the bishoprics. So the church does not excommunicate them if they keep their heads down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 10:17AM by crom.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 06:11AM

you mean you caught old crap bag Gordon " BS" Hinckley in
a lie ? - Imagine that ! LOL !

Posted by: markrichards ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:19AM

I grew up in southern Idaho. 1958 to about 1976 with trips during school vacations and other times. There was one well known family of polygamists. Everyone 'knew' about them, but no one said anything. My father (a TSCC convert) did trade with them (alfalfa which my father grew for cash), much to the chagrin of the ward bishop.

Fast forward to 2006. My friend was a crafter and had a booth at a tourist trap called Apple Hill. I went up one weekend to help. She had a resale item called the Christmas Pickle. So, while she sold her quilts I 'shilled the pickles.' Two women walked up, they appeared to be sisters; one with five children, one with four and one in the oven. At the time I was telling the children about the Christmas pickle, a man walked up. This guy was the absolute worse for wear (very old face with black dyed hair). I told the story once again and all the children in unison looked to the man and said, "Daddy.....Daddy we want one." The man said, "Well, I will need three, one for each house." As I am wrapping up his treasure, he told me about his 'home' in Idaho and his 'wives.' He also shared with me his trip to Placerville and visiting his brother and "My brother's wives."

I made no mention of my previous experience with TSCC, it was like this guy was proud of his adventures. My friend was glad when he departed as he was bad for business.

I suspect somewhere in between the 2 percent to 25 percent lies the truth.

The women, even

Posted by: kabbima ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:21AM

I don't know of any links to articles, but it's alive and well in the temple. My biological mothers father is sealed to two women in the temple. It destroyed the relationship between some of his kids and him.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 09:41AM

I was always secretly hoping :) I guess I was blessed with a little more drive than just one girl can handle lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 09:41AM by sparkyguru.

Date: February 27, 2013 10:24AM

Apostolic United Brethren will take you if you bring your own girls and pay tithes.;-) If your tithes are high enough they might provide the girls. "sounds legit"

Date: February 27, 2013 10:12AM

On another forum, someone thought there was a definitive General authority reference that polygamy was NEVER to be reinstated. I've spent a couple of days looking for that. Closest I can find is the Utah State Constitution Article 3 section 1. (Not a GA but has the phrase they were looking for.)

"Perfect toleration of religious sentiment is guaranteed. No inhabitant of this State shall ever be molested in person or property on account of his or her mode of religious worship; but polygamous or plural marriages are forever prohibited."

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:55AM

If it's just a GA who said that, I don't think it'll be taken too seriously. But if it's an Apostle that said it, then questions will be asked when it does get reinstated.

Although things like that happened before, I'm pretty sure Apostles said black people would never get the priesthood and they did in the end.

I personally think as society gets more liberal, polygamy is one day going to be socially acceptable again, and then the church will bring back the practice.

I don't really have a problem with the concept of multi-person marriages, but the way the church did it back then wasn't ideal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.