Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 03:24AM

So tonight I tell my mom who is on the phone that, regardless of what the Bible says, men evolved out of women. Apparantly my sister heard me say it on the other end, and I got a message on Facebook shortly after. After a conversation back and forth, I sent her this:

"If you ever want to know why I have rejected Mormonism, please let me know. It might sound "anti-mormon", but everything that lost my belief can be found on official LDS web pages.

My only requirement is no bearing of testimonies - it's a waste of breath."

So there we have it - I doubt she'll ever ask, but at least the invitation is out there.

*My sister was not being argumentative or trying to prove me wrong, just commenting on what I said. She always has those comments about The Church® when family get together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: boklau ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:19AM

what is it on the LDS website that made you lose your faith? I need to spill the beans for a close friend.

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 06:06AM

To tell the truth I lost my faith in Christianity first, and then Mormonism. It was mainly the 14-year-old bride stuff. They will always say something about how that age was normal for marriage back then. It was most definitely not. Census records show the average age of marriage for woman in the 1850s to be 21. Even the ones that *did* marry at 14 most certainly did not marry 35-year-old perverts.

Once I learned of the young brides, the rest fell into place - witnesses admitting it was a fraud; the stories ol' Joe told as a child being strikingly similar to those found in the BoM; passages in the BoM being exact copies from the Bible, yet the JST had different translations; and a few other things (not all of this, if any, is on an official site). It's late and I haven't researched this in a while. Once you know it's all a fraud, there really isn't a reason to keep proving it to yourself, you know?

I'm sure there is a lot more on the LDS sites that I would have to dig into. If anyone else wants to chime in, go right ahead.

---

My sister did respond:

"I am curious to hear from you, instead of through the grapevine so to speak. ... I'm more interested in why you reject God, to be perfectly honest. A lot of people have problems with the church, for the same reasons I've heard you do. ...

If she wants to know why I reject God altogether, I guess I'll need to read through The God Delusion again to brush up on why belief can be harmful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.