Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 10:49PM

No doubt about it, advances in medical science will one
day extend human lifetimes. I imagine that Donald Trump
and his ilk would be first in line for the "cure," but
perhaps the technology/biology would eventually trickle
down to us lesser mortals as well.

Would you do it? If so, how much of your worldly wealth
would you be willing to pay out, for that assurance? 50%
75%... more?

Could you do it without also extending the increase to
your close friends and family members?

Could you be sure that your innate psychology could stand
living 50 years past eighty, or ninety?

When my mother passed away, she was the last surviving
member of her parents' family, save for one very sick
and very elderly sister. None of her friends remained;
most of what she had lived for was accomplished, over.

But, look on the bright side -- we might end up with a
150 year old Mormon President who had 60 years on-the-job
experience! What a seer and revelator HE would be!

UD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:24PM

I'd likely do it, but I'd have to be fairly strong and healthy. And DW would have to be along for the ride, as well.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:27PM

Only if they could also guarantee I would feel and look as good as I did when I was 25. Then, and only then, bring it on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 11:28PM by Mia.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:30PM

Hmm depending on health during this time maybe
If I was physically younger for longer then awsome

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:34PM

Absolutely. Technology is growing like crazy. I'd love to see where it would go 50 years longer.

Posted by: Mr. Eyepatch ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:48PM

God, I've experienced most of the milemarks of human life...no thanks to further existance. If there is a god, I think that he/she/it has given us the lifespan we need to see the truth. There's no need to extend the human life. If anything, the planet would benefit from having less of us around.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:55PM

ABSOLUTELY!

I saw a program on Discovery channel a while back where they were saying that within 25 years, we will have the ability to rejuvinate the human body. We will be able to reinvigorate our bodies to where an aging human can be 25 again. We may even be able to live to 1000 years old. While it will probably come too late for my 92 year old mother, if I was ever offered the chance to have my body be and feel like I was 25 again, I would jump so fast at that chance quicker than you can blink. When the time comes, someone else will probably control that technology and say I'm not qualified for some reason.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:03AM

In theory yes. In reality, I have already been told by medical professionals that I could add ten to twenty years onto my life if I lost some weight, but I am having a hard time making the sacrifice to do that.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:16AM

Go do it damn it. Clear the cupboards, load up on vegetables and beans, and share your progress.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:10AM

For myself, I'm pretty sure that the answer would be "no."
Possibly, if the opportunity was offered to me at a much
earlier period in my life --- and if it was equally available
to other people as well --- I might be tempted to say "yes."

Watching the fronds on the palms outside my window, I'm
content to see them turn from green to red, and fall away
after half a year.

UD

Posted by: LifeLongLiver ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:46AM

NO, I would NOT like to live 50 years longer! This world is heading into the crapper, and that's not some gloom and doom negativity.

* We are headed for worldwide financial collapse within the next 5 years.
*. There are hostile (and psychotic) foreign agendas that seek to destroy America and gain it's resources to become THE power of the world.
*. There is a rapid moral decline in the world that will negatively affect generations to come.

I want outta here when it's my time. But I want to be worthy enough to ascend into a higher realm.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:51AM

If it's the norm, why not? We wouldn't know anything different.
Personally, I don't think our bodies are designed to live 50 year extended lives. I'm in my 70s and I am happy to live at least 20 years more if I am mentally and physically in good shape.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:54AM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 12:57AM

Maybe. If my memories didn't fade. I'd definitely would if my loved ones could, but if not I'm not sure I like the idea of outliving everyone so long I forget them.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 02:48AM

with reasonably decent health I would, I think another 50 years and we are going to see some incredible advances in medicine and longevity!!

I love to experience stuff, I'd love to be young again and have a do over, be a doctor the next time around.

maybe if I last an extra 50 that will be enough time to figure out how to get my do over

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 07:50AM

Congratulations, Mr. Mutt, you could live to 130. But you're money is going to run out when you're 85.

But actually, no. I have no interest in living that long. I'm 60 now. I can sort of see the point down the road when I will have had enough, when it's time to get off the merry-go-round. Life gets repetitive unless you have the resources to keep trying new things and places and people.

Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:13AM

I wouldn't want to live 50 years longer. I do not believe in a Christian afterlife, but I do believe that there is an amazing journey waiting for us when we die.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:38AM

Too soon old, too late smart.

Youth is wasted on the young.

I agree that I would prefer to be experienced but young (i.e., I would only accept this proposal if I could persist in a perpetually youthful state...).

What's the point of extreme old age if you are bed-ridden?

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 10:45AM

I have trouble understanding how other people are OK with dying. For me, the survival instinct is too strong. Even when I'm 100 years old, in a nursing home, you still might see me show up here on RfM occasionally. And I'd happily stick around for another 50 years after that.

Date: February 26, 2013 11:14AM

Naomi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have trouble understanding how other people are
> OK with dying.

I'm easily bored. ;^)

Date: February 26, 2013 11:12AM

...average life expectancy was 45 instead of 75? If we could compare their contentment with ours, who would win? Who made/makes better use of their time? If you started your life knowing you had a pretty good chance of living 150 years, would you be tempted to procrastinate more? And how long after humanity starts living 150 years will it just seem normal? How soon would people be longing for 200-year lives, then 300?

What if the secret to longer lives turns out to not be about adding more years to the end? What if it's about slowing everything down? Or about adding more to the beginning? What if at 20 you were only a 5-year-old developmentally? What if gestation were three or four years?

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:22AM

I would if my health would hold up. I love life and would love to live a long long time.

Longevity runs in my family already. I'm 33 and my great grandmother died just 10 years ago. It was kinda fun cause my oldest daughter got to meet her. So my great grandmother meet her great great granddaughter.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:24AM

Without the aches and pains? Sure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.